Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ayerg73_gw

Wood or Paint? Tying it all together.

ayerg73
12 years ago

I'm having second thoughts about the serving area cabinet in my plan...

The perimeter cabs are going to be a soft yellowy-cream. The island and banquette/window trim will be natural cherry.

I had planned to do that serving cabinet in cream as well. But, now that I'm thinking big-picture and choosing paint colors, I'm at a loss.

I am going to do a bluish gray in the kitchen and living room. I will probably match the green tile for paint in the dining room and add wainscoting in there. (that serving area will also have the backsplash tile, btw)

I was thinking of doing a cream to match the cabinets in the hallway and foyer. BUT, if I do that, then the cream will run right into that serving cabinet and it will all blend together.

Will it look strange to do that piece in cherry or should I consider different hallway colors?

BTW - the laundry room, where you see "To garage", will also have the natural cherry in there, but the door will usually be shut, so I'm not sure how much difference that makes.

I hope my question makes sense! Here are my colors if that helps....

Thanks!

Comments (9)

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

Wow! Beautiful colors and finishes...and that fabric is wonderful :)

If you're having wood in the other areas (and a wood table in a similar finish, in the dining room) then I think the wood serving area will look great. The cream is also nice, but if you want more contrast...then I'd pick the wood.

I guess for me, the cream makes it look more like a built-in, since it matches the trim...while the wood seems more like a free standing piece. Does that help at all?

• ayerg73
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks lavender! That means a lot to me - I've stressed about the colors and carried around the samples with me like they're adopted children.

Yes, that makes perfect sense about the cherry. The table in the dining room is a little darker than my aged cherry sample - so it will probably be quite a bit darker to start. But, I do love the cherry and I'm a little sad that I have so little of it in the kitchen proper. That's something I decided on to help brighten up the dark space, not because I wanted to loose the wood tones.

I know that the cabinets are already in the process of being built. I hope that I have time to make the change.

If not - any ideas on a color for the hallway?

• ayerg73
    Original Author
    12 years ago

*lose, not loose. I sure wish we could edit posts!

• ayerg73
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well, after a call to the GC and a return call from the cabinet maker, the entire question is irrelevant anyway.

Apparently he always intended to do that cabinet in cherry and we just had our wires crossed.

Yay for happy coincidences!

• barfootm
    12 years ago

Beautiful choices. These are all gorgeous! I love the creamy tone on the cabinets. Would you mind sharing what color that is?

• ayerg73
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, barfootm.

I have to admit that I have no idea what that color is! The cabinet color was another happy coincidence.

We bought a new table a couple of years ago with yellowy cream legs and chairs. When I told my cabinet guy that I wanted a cream, he assumed that I meant exactly like the table and sort of whipped it up for me. (He uses a special tinted lacquer for his cabs) It was almost a perfect match - just a little less yellow, which was exactly what I had in my head.

I'm going to bring my door into BM to try and match it for the hall color. If I come up with something close, I'll be sure to let you know.

Sorry I wasn't more helpful...

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

Sounds like it's all working out, beautifully! Keep us posted, with lots of pictures :)

• ayerg73
    Original Author
    12 years ago

barfootm - the closest BM color I could come up with to my door was Windham Cream. HTH!

• ayerg73
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I will keep you all posted. Demo starts next weekend, as my brother is coming down to take the cabinets and reuse them. The GC will be here earlier than that working on some small projects in the mean time. I can't believe we're this close!!

I can't forget to pack that corkscrew!

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus