Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
trudymom_gw

For Those Of You With Glass Door Cabinets

trudymom
16 years ago

For those of you with cabinets with glass doors, do you like them? Are you glad you have them? Do you find it a problem to keep the glass clean or the insides looking nice? I'd love to see pictures of your glass cabinets.

Thank you for your suggestions!

Comments (24)

• susan4664
    16 years ago

I have glass doors in the two corners of my top cabinets and love the way they look. I used ribbed glass so you don't see what's inside them. I took this picture with the interior lights on, but when they're off you really don't see behind the glass. (wish I knew how to post the pictures smaller). I use one for liquer and stemware, and the other for coffee and mugs. I'm very happy with the way they break up all the wood. They add a touch of elegance.

• lisa51417
    16 years ago

Yes, I really like mine. (Sorry, don't have any pics at the moment.) I have glass on the top half of my tall pantry cabinet (where I keep dishes and glassware -- the stuff that doesn't look like clutter inside a cabinet) and on all of our tippy-top cabinets that I can't reach -- so we just use those as display cabs. We've been living there for over 2 years now, and I haven't had to clean the glass at all.

• lynninnewmexico
    16 years ago

Love mine! No problems keeping them clean or the insides looking nice . . . but that's because I have only my best bar glasses, serving pieces, crystal and best china stored in them! Believe me, if I had my everyday cups and glasses or ~ even worse~ food , in them they would look terrible! Here's a pic of two of them, the rest are in our dining room and I don't have good pics of them:
    {{!gwi}}">

• antiquesilver
    16 years ago

This is my only glass front cabinet, built on top of a mantle piece between 2 large pantry cabinets. Since it contains my good dishes, it stays fairly neat; so far, I've cleaned the glass about twice a year but it gets dirtier in the winter if I use the fireplace.

FYI - it's 5' wide & built to the ceiling which is 11'. Maybe I'll get the cabinets on either side painted this spring & the f/p finished!

• remodel1958
    16 years ago

lynninnewmexico, what type of glass finish is that you used? - pretty!

• lkremodel
    16 years ago

We used two different types of glass: clear for displaying nicer dishes in orderly fashion and an opaque seed type glass for the more messy everyday dishes and glasses. I think I now prefer the opaque glass. Our clear glass cabinets have to store quite a bit of stuff and I find that somewhat distracting.

We were very pleased with the options of local glass company which installed both types of glass.

• Jodi_SoCal
    16 years ago

Here are our reeded glass cabinets. I love them. One is in the kitchen, the other a bar area in the dining room, which we hadn't populated yet with glassware when I took the photo.

We have clear glass displays in the livingroom and I am always frustrated with how dirty they always seem to look. The reeded glass I used in the kitchen does not show any dirt or film on them.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Jodi-

• jane-o
    16 years ago

jodi_in_so_calif - I like your "reeded" glass - do you remember what company it came from?

Others - it seems like most people light their glass cabinets on the inside. If one stuck exclusively to something like Jodi's "reeded" glass, or other patterned glass, would it be ok not to light the cabinets? I'm thinking of the glass mostly to provide a visual break from the wood cabinets, rather than to display stuff inside.

Also - did anyone consider colored glass? If so, why did you decide against it? (Or has someone used it?)

thanks!

• Jodi_SoCal
    16 years ago

Jane, reeded is the name of the style of glass and around here it is very standard. I've seen it in every store that sells glass.

I decided to have it cut horizontally rather than vertically which is the more common way to use it.

Jodi-

• zelmar
    16 years ago

trudymom, I really like having glass cabinets. We haven't had a fingerprint issue at all. I need to dust the glass every once in a while. Dust does seem to get into the cabinet--most likely because we're still doing renovations in the rooms to each side and because we have inset doors with gaps.

jane-o, I got glass cabinets for the same reason, to provide a visual break. No need to light up the inside--glass front cabinets had been around for a long time before people decided to stick lights in them. We didn't put any in ours since they're not meant to be "display" cabinets.

{{gwi:1570742}}

• nuccia
    16 years ago

If you choose to light the interior, make sure you get glass shelves so the light can filter down. Otherwise, you get a two-toned effect.

• remodelfla
    16 years ago

jodi... that's that Jeffrey Court backsplash that absolutely slays me. Your kitchen is beautiful. I think I may build my kitchen around being able to use it. Did you seal it? Any kind of enhancer? Easy to clean?

• lynninnewmexico
    16 years ago

My glass is a seeded glass.

• Jodi_SoCal
    16 years ago

Thanks RemodelFla. Yes, the Jeffrey Court Fire and Ice tile was sealed but no enhancer was used, though I have considered it.

We've only had the backsplash since mid-January and haven't really "tested" it with much more than boiling water. Our installer told us though that clean up should be easy.

Jane, I just realized, Susan's kitchen (second post down) looks to be reeded/ribbed glass used in the more traditional way.

Jodi-

• User
    16 years ago

I think it really depends on what you plan to put in the cabinet and also the location.

In my old kitchen one wall of cabinets was clear glass and most of our everyday dishes had to go their. If i had that arrangement in my new open floor plan kitchen i would definitely not like it. It was ok in the old but wasn't what I would call pretty and I think for clear glass its more about display.

I think if you use some type of opague style, like the reeded and there are many others; than pretty display doesn't matter any more.

Jodi, your kitchen is beautiful and wish i saw it before picking out some of my stuff....i am a little envious.

• Jodi_SoCal
    16 years ago

Thank you Kas. Our backsplash decision was a result of our first choice no longer being available at the very last minute. Actually, it was available but coming out of the quarry a completely different color than what we wanted. A stressful moment with a wonderful outcome.

Here are some other glass choices. Found this the Feather River Door company web site. It really helped us decide which glass to go with.

{{!gwi}}

Jodi-

• chinchette
    16 years ago

We used clear glass. No lights. Every day dishes. They look good in our case.
    However, we have a separate drawer where odd ball or ugly plastic dishes are stored. My every day dishes are pretty uniform looking though the glass.

• elizpiz
    16 years ago

Anyone on this post heard of "German glass"? We were in a showroom that featured some beatiful cabinets with what the owner called German glass. We are using our GC's recommended cabinet maker and a web search doesn't seem to show up anything.

• donnar57
    16 years ago

We have two, which we had installed to break up the look of the kitchen. It really helps. Both are for regular every day dishes, as the china cabinet is in the dining portion of the kitchen and contains all the beautiful china and crystal. I believe the type of glass we have is called seeded, and I find it very easy to keep clean. Of course, we don't have small children in the house, and the youngest (21) has been told, use the handles to open and close the cabinets - not the wood or the glass!

I'm sorry, Tripod doesn't allow direct hits for photos, so I have to give a link.

PS The liquor is no longer stored in the corner cabinet. For now, it's in the living room in the corner, in a box!

DonnaR/CA

Here is a link that might be useful: Donna's glass front cabinets

• plants4
    16 years ago

elizpiz, it may have been "German New Antique" glass, also called GNA. This is a glass that's got multidirectional striations. It's both clear and wavy looking at the same time. I fell in love with it when I saw it and plan on using it in our glass cabinets.

• nskylark
    16 years ago

I have some plain glass front cabs in the new kitchen. Two of them store everyday glassware and dishes. And the other one stores an assortment of stuff including food - I put grains in pretty glass jars and also store onions/potatoes/bread in matching baskets on the bottom shelf. It gives the cabinet a bit of an old fashioned look which I like.

• mpwdmom
    16 years ago

Love seeing all the glass doors! I learn so much on this forum and it will make me better prepared when we begin our project.

For susan4664, I love your kitchen cabs and backsplash! Are there more photos somewhere here? Thanks for any info.

Susan

• elizpiz
    16 years ago

fern4, that's the glass! Thanks for the tip.

Eliz