Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Problem if hood is on tile but chimney on non-tiled wall?

Posted by needinfo1 (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 14, 13 at 18:36

We are doing a retrofit in our kitchen and installing a venting hood to replace the old downdraft range combo. I want to save the tile on my backsplash (perhaps 3-4 feet above the counter height). We are looking at a probably a flat hood like this Zephyr. Is there enough play in the chimney that we could mount the hood itself on top of our tile and the chimney on the regular wall surface? The entire hood would be placed/mounted on the tile, with the top of the hood at the top of the current tile line (we're taking off the protruding top trim piece), and the chimney would start at the point on the wall where the tiling ends. Or, would this cause problems or look goofy since there would be a 1/4" difference in depth between the two surfaces? We have a regular subway tile for our backsplash so it is regular depth and not at all irregular. Thanks much.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Problem if hood is on tile but chimney on non-tiled wall?

I think it will look fine stopping the tile at the hood. It's such a strong piece that it won't look out of place to stop the backsplash there. Others might say different. 1/4 inch is so mall of a gap.

o

Thanks. My main concern is whether or not having the hood itself mounted on the tile and then having the chimney transition to the lower level surface of the wall would be a problem. Plus, since I posted this we now think we are going to go with a different Zephyr hood that has better mechanical features. This one. And, if we do this hood, the hood would be entirely on the tile with part of the chimney on the tile and then the rest of the chimney on the part of the wall about where the tile ends.

o

Are installing yourself? If not, check with your installer and the hood manufacturer. My DH installed ours on all tile but I can imagine it would have been a problem if the wall was only partial tile.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here