Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How perfect should custom painted cabs be?

Posted by SoCalLeigh (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 23, 13 at 18:35

I'm really struggling with this. Our white shaker custom cabinets have been painted multiple times. Not due to our pickiness, but due to multiple shades of what was supposed to be the same shade of white. The good part: They are finally all the same shade.

The bad part: I can see all sorts of imperfections.

I can see scratches from the hardware installation.

I can see pinholes from what I suspect are nail heads.

I can see cracks forming where the different cabinets are joined together.

We have not even signed the last check yet, what is this going to look like in a year?

So my big question is... How perfect are your white painted custom cabs? Am I expecting too much? I do get that they are white and life is going to happen. I was just expecting the scratches and bumps to come from me and not my contractor.

Maybe I'm just suffering remodel fatigue....

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How perfect should custom painted cabs be?

Hi SoCal Leigh! I am wondering who your contractor was as I had the same issues. They looked good from a distance (as yours do in the pic) but upclose they were horrible. I ended up terminating my relationship with my contractor for this and a wide variety of other reasons. I am now in the process of looking for another contractor so if you wouldn't mind sharing who you went with you can email me via my link.

But back to your question, I don't think any of what you are describing is acceptable. I, like you, expected some of that down the road, and caused by me. At installation they should be pretty perfect IMHO.

o

I see this all too often.
Cabinets that are to be painted should be done by a finisher and not a house painter. Its takes a higher level of knowledge and skill.They should use a high quality paint, like Fine Paints Of Europe, they should prep the wood properly.

To answer your question, they should look good close up too.

o

Are your cabs hand brushed or sprayed?

I would not accept what you describe. My cabs, sprayed with BM Satin Impervo waterborne, were gorgeous. No scratched or nicks or nail holes. I was very impressed.

I hope you can get this resolved!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here