Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cplover

Final Critique of Kitchen Layout before I order

cplover
13 years ago

I am getting ready to order cabinets so I wanted to get a final critique on my layout. This a version that Rhome, Buehl and Lavender all helped with what feels like many moons ago. The only change was that I eliminated the cabinets underneath the window (I was sad to see them go) so that I could put the banquette in the corner under the window. Please let me know if I missed anything! Thanks again!

Only think I am contemplating is the wall of shallow cabinets along the south wall--- floor to ceiling pantry (first) or glass uppers with base cabinets and counterspace (second).

Thanks again! Please let me know if I am missing anything!! :)

Comments (16)

• elba1
    13 years ago

I'm no expert, but regarding your pantry question, it seems to me there is generally more pantry storage flexibility when it is full height.
    In my own kitchen however, I will need the counter space (for serving buffet style), hence will be using something like your second drawing.
    So, I would say you need to decide how much you need the counter space/what you would use it for, and let that be your guide.

• remodelfla
    13 years ago

If you don't do the floor to ceiling pantry; where will you then have pantry space? If you do have other pantry space, I would vote #2. This is a biased response because I prefer a "lighter" look. The floor to ceiling looks great too; but I like it better in settings where it is balanced by something elsewhere in the kitchen. Unless.... your plan is to do them in some kind of color or other finish which looks rather cool.

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

I vote for the countertop/pantry, rather than the floor to ceiling...it's less storage but more countertop, which you may need, especially during parties. You can put a lot of plates, napkins, silverware, etc. on a countertop, even 12" deep...not to mention cookie jars, holiday decorations, etc :)

Also, I left you a message, over on the small homes forum, if you get a chance to check your post, over there. Just a question about the doorway and whether you still are planning the prep sink in the corner.

Beautiful plan, wonderful layout...I think this is the one!

• ideagirl2
    13 years ago

The range is across the room from the sink... something to avoid if at all possible for all the safety and mess-related reasons discussed on your first thread.

There are two ways to keep this basic layout while fixing that problem:
    (1) Move the fridge to the other end of its run, so that the peninsula can be there. That gives you room to make an L-shaped setup down where the range is and have the range and sink close to each other.
    (2) If the peninsula seating's counter is higher than the main counter, just put the sink right there on that short leg of the L, facing the peninsula seating.

Also, how are you planning to vent the range?

• palimpsest
    13 years ago

I would run the banquet at least to the end of the window, if not almost all the way to the fridge. This will avoid stopping an element partway across the window which is almost always awkward looking in real life.

• cplover
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ooops! Sorry forgot to add that there will be a sink in the 37" base corner cabinet on the peninsula! The Ikea program will not let me show that.

Remodelfla- I do not have any pantry storage other than what is shown. But then again, my current layout does not have a pantry either. I almost think that 3-24" pantry cabinets would be too much and I love the look of those glass cabinets and the overall lighter look. Just not sure if it is worth not having a traditional pantry.

Palimpset-Good Point thanks!!

Elba1-I think part of my indecisiveness comes from the fact that this new layout has so much more counterspace space and cabinet space then what I have it is really a 50/50 call between a traditional pantry and more counterspace.

• formerlyflorantha
    13 years ago

Will you be serving meals in an adjacent room at this end of kitchen and do you need to have a launch/receive space for them? A dining room or deck?

If the serving is all on the other end of kitchen, consider the habits of your family. In my house, that minicounter would become the "things going elsewhere" plunk space. I'm afraid it would have the same aspect as the failed desks that others have described on GW. Without that space, things coming or going to/from kitchen are more likely to be put into sink, taken elsewhere, put away.

Unless...there's a way to insert a pull-out breadboard/cutting board in there. If so, you suddenly have one more work zone, esp. if on the left where it can intrude into walkpath. You can stand or sit at stool there and chop or decorate cookies or whatever. This could be a baking zone.

• cplover
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Florantha- I have worried about what you mentioned--that this would just become a clutter zone. Also I realized I do not have a ton of drawer space to put things like mixing bowls and pots and pans. Maybe I will need that pantry space after all. Also the kitchen is a 1400 sq ft ranch so the rooms above are my kitchen and dining room (now with the wall removed from them). We will not have another dining/eating area.

• ControlfreakECS
    13 years ago

I would do the floor to ceiling pantry cabinet. Like others have said, it is in the perfect location that a counter would become a clutter magnet. It is also too far away from the table to work as a serving area. 12" deep counters are not that useful for working at and less so when you have cabinets above. It is often discussed on this forum that having counter in a place that isn't useful is no better then not having the counter at all. That is why you see so many of the gurus trying to get people to maximize their counter space in the most common work zones and avoid excessive counter space on the periphery. Besides, have you really ever heard anyone say they have 'too much pantry space?' Me neither. :)

• cplover
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Controlfreakecs- I think my problem is that I really like the glass uppers although anyone who knows me would say NO!! You are just not a neat freak for glass cabinets. But I did like that bright airiness that they give the room. I think I have made up my mind. I need the pantry space for storage and the counters would probably end up with junk. Thanks again GW'ers!

Any suggestions on the non-pantry portion of the kitchen?

• wizardnm
    13 years ago

Here's an option, you could do an open center with single doors on either side.

Mine is wider with each section being 32" wide. Depth is 15" (the fridge is recessed into a closet behind it. But maybe this will give you other ideas...

Nancy

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

Newbie- As you know, I like the counterspace, instead of the pantry, but I also know it's your closest area to the back door and patio. Florantha makes a good point about serving area for the patio...and your only other large counterspace is where the stools are...on the other side of your work area.

If you're worried about clutter...plan for it, ahead of time. Assign a couple of those top drawers for all the clutter stuff and make sure you include a place in your entry for keys, gloves, purse, etc. so it doesn't make it into the kitchen.

Any countertop can be a clutter magnet, including the one over your stools, if you let it be. Keep something nice, like a pretty cookie jar or a few kitchen accessories, on the 'pantry area' countertop...that can easily be moved out of the way, when you need additional prep or serving space.

And I agree with you...the extra sparkle from the glass upper cabinets would really help bounce light around your kitchen...which is even more important with dark countertops.

Have you looked at Breezy's ideas for her dining area serving/buffet? It's similar to your situation, but it's half like yours...half open to her kitchen...but the serving side is only 12" deep. Might be worth checking out :)

• toddimt
    13 years ago

If anywhere the clutter will end up on the peninsula since that is where you enter the house from the garage.

Not sure if 12" deep base cabinets are practical. especially drawers as drawn. There has to be like 9" or less usable depth. I would make those doors if you go that route and then have the pantry storage on the bottom.

If you do the full height pantry, then why not glass in the upper most doors? You could also do frosted glass, so you can't see exactly what is in there and the light will bounce off. Could even put lighting in there. Or use clear glass with decorative pieces inside.

• rhome410
    13 years ago

Reading through, I was thinking the same thing as Todds...Glass doors in the upper section of the pantry. A happy medium between the 2 ideas, since it's the lighter look, but more storage. I think it's too shallow and too busy a path for the counter to be very useful and stay neat.

• cplover
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Todds and Rhome! Thanks for your insight. I am wondering now if I need to scrap this entire layout. Rhome, you bmorepanic and buehl really came up with my existing layout, so I would love some insight into my design issues.

Here is a link that might be useful: Overhang or No Overhang

• ironcook
    13 years ago

i agree with getting glass for the top cabs if you get full-height pantry cabs.

you might consider having the top square of the pantry cabs routered out and prepped for glass if you'd like more. you can also do a textured glass like seeded or reeded, if you want it to be a little obscured. :)