Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maries1120

What is IN or timeless for backsplash

maries1120
12 years ago

I went to one tile shop serveral times and she keeps steering me to the travertine. IMO it is too busy with the Canterbury Cambria countertop and the color has a tint to it that doesn't seem right with the CC. I want the backspash to compliment the counter without taking away from it.

So what is the current trend for backsplashes or what is or would most likely not go out of style? I am thinking more like around a 3x6 size.

Thanks.

Comments (56)

• polie
    12 years ago

One thing is to consider the style of the rest of the house. Something that is sympathetic with the rest of the place probably won't be stand out as much. (Of course, you could run into the issue of having the entire house look of a certain age, but at least walking into the kitchen from another room wouldn't be visually jarring.)

• ellendi
    12 years ago

Try to relax about your backsplash. I agree with the others. Nothing is timeless. If anything, travertine is was dated when I was looking three years ago. At that time they were pushing glass tiles.
    Your backsplash can be changed! (Many of us here put in a BS only to realaize it was wrong and then had another installed) So get what you like now and realize that it is the one element that can easily be changed should you want to in the future.

• weimom
    12 years ago

Marie, I am also using Cambria Canterbury and have not chosen my backsplash I think I will need to keep it simple since the quartz is a bit busy (but lovely!)
    Have you chosen a paint color? I am currently working on that since the painting begins on Monday!

• sayde
    12 years ago

This is a bit of a rant but I'm feeling perverse. Am just feeling more and more put out by the notion of having to conform to some idea of timeless or classic. I'm not against following rules of good taste and decorum, and definitely have made decisions that reflect the style envelope of my old house. But I am so tired of designers trying to tell us what is "classic" and " timeless" and even worse, necessary for resale. The worst was when I read somewhere on these boards that a designer told some client not to get a 30 inch range because it was a "kitchen killer." I mean, seriously??? If I had not already gotten a 30 inch range, for reasons of scale and sheer pragmatism, that would have fired my determination to have one.

Sorry for the rant. Hope you will get what looks good. As someone once wrote in Esquire, (he was talking about clothing not kitchens) if it is a choice between what you need and what looks good, get what looks good because what looks good is what you need.

• junnsey
    12 years ago

I had Cambria Canterbury installed last February and am still trying to decide on a backsplash. I to have been afraid of travertine because I thought it would be too busy. I think I am down to ceramic subway tiles in a cream color (which one I don't know...I have several samples) or painted pressed tin of which I just obtained samples. Beveled ceramic tiles are a possibility also. This decision is killing me. Tiles, though can be changed, would be difficult. The tin would be easily changed. I had to keep my oak cabinets for cost reasons. I have a faux wainscoting in my kitchen too, in white. Wiemom, I have BM Friendly yellow, which I really like.

I have many samples:

Ceramic tiles international, considering Bone: Can be in beveled or flat.. and they have a nice selection of listellos and trims.

Cottage Lane subway tile in Summer Beige: comes in flat or beveled. I have not seen any pictures of beveled tile with added listellos and they really don't offer much in that area, just a rope and chair rail.

American tin ceilings: Samples I have that seem to coordinate with canterbury are Creamy white granite and Antique white satin. This would by far be the easiest to install. This matters since I have to do it myself.

I have too many other samples too mention, above are what I have narrowed it down to.

I don't really care about what will be in forever, I just want something I will love and can live with for a while the first time.

Marie1120, have you come up with anything?

• User
    12 years ago

Ha, Sayde I know what you mean about feeling perverse and I get where you are coming from as I think it is sort of similar to what I was trying to say in the built in fridge thread (may not appear that way as my point was a bit misconstrued.) For me there have been several threads where people have posted encouraging others to get this or that due to resale or what is expected and it just seems unrealistic to expect that all should be so homogenized, appliances and/ or decor. There is no one answer to what is in or timeless or is it worth it, just like there is not one answer to what looks good.

• oceangirl67
    12 years ago

Subway tiles are timeless.

• marcolo
    12 years ago

Subway tiles are timeless.

LOL!

• formerlyflorantha
    12 years ago

The opinion given near the top of this thread is accurate. Those who could afford it in 20s and 30s used ceramic tile, often colored, behind a stretch of the work surface. More plebian: a few inches of turn-up of the countertop material onto the wall is about as "timeless" as the concept of backsplash gets--it dates to the concept of countertops of 20th century. Having a material behind the range to protect the paint on the wall is also an early 20th century concept. Or rather, perhaps that is chicken-and-egg...once the wall was stained, how to camouflage it? If you want to get more "timeless" then put a stovepipe heading straight up behind your cook surface.

If you like this kind of nostalgic "timelessness" try linoleum on countertops and backsplash.

Most of these timeless materials were torn out of kitchens long ago. Today, a few live-at-home archaeologists are finding remnants of these products in their kitchens and rejoycing and then drive themselves mad trying to match it using things on today's market, especially subtle color effects. But it's not the "One True Kitchen" from the movie "Something's Got to Give" that they're uncovering.

On a slightly different tack, I'm wondering if the tile mural over the range will be a kitchen no-no in future, a hopeless feature of 1990s and 2000s. Even in the 3 or so years that I've read this forum, this item seems to be disappearing but it was all the rage 10 years ago.

• rococogurl
    12 years ago

Just get tile that looks good with the countertop and that you like and can enjoy because you will look at it every day.

What's stylish or in/out at this moment is a pointless discussion. I recently saw a lovely kitchen which had every "stylish" "right" "in" choice. Every single one. It was lovely, don't get me wrong. But also is a total cliche. Plus it had 0 personality. You could put it in a row with every other kitchen of the same style and color and the only variations would be stools.

If you're gunning for a magazine story on your kitchen, then individuality and uniqueness is what will be noticed -- not bland uniformity. If not, don't worry about style.

Get what you love and what works in your kitchen. Even in the fanciest tile stores, the sales people are not arbiters of taste. They are just reading the same magazines as everyone else.

• beekeeperswife
    12 years ago

I always just use things that make me happy. Personally, I hate travertine. It's a textural issue for me. (I can't touch it) So when I would have someone suggest it for my Bianco Antico (as if) I would just say "I hate that"....they got the idea.

The thing about subways is that although many think they are "timeless", I know I"m not the only one who notices that even the subway tile is changing...The size varies greatly, from the tiny min-subway to those that are the size of cinderblocks.

Get what works for your kitchen, what makes you smile every time you see it. You are not putting the tile in for the next home owner, you are putting it in for yourself to enjoy. And if you don't know what exactly you want, that's fine too. Just wait, check back with the tile world every now and then, and maybe something will hit you.

• eleena
    12 years ago

"If anything, travertine is was dated when I was looking three years ago."

LOL.

Ellen,
    Travertine was already out six years ago (IMHO) when I was remodeling my bathrooms. My ID kept pushing it and that is one of the reasons why he is not my ID any longer, LOL.

"You could put it in a row with every other kitchen of the same style and color and the only variations would be stools."

So true!

I remember seeing some of - really lovely and well designed - bathrooms on the Bathroom board and all the "wow's" they were getting. I personally couldn't tell one bathroom from the previous one. Travertine? Check. Beige colors? Check. ETC.

Not meant to be critical; if everyone is expecting to see that, the resale may go smoother, IDK. But I bought the house we are in (as well as the one before) b/c they were distictively unique and had personality.

• cvtxmama
    12 years ago

Lots of great advice--you can never go wrong if you put in what you love. I love some kind of a backsplash above the range because its such a great opportunity to be creative. We are doing an 8x8 colorful concrete encaustic tile that I am so excited about. It probably isn't for everybody, but I love it and it will make me happy every time I'm working in the kitchen. With 3 growing boys I feel like I spend an awful lot of time in there and might as well make it a happy place!

• Bunny
    12 years ago

Last night I was at a friend's house for a meeting. Her place is definitely MCM, one of my least favorite styles, with a somewhat dated kitchen: funny cabinet doors, light formica counters, laminate floors. And yet...I adore her house. I would swap mine for hers in a heartbeat. I love the layout and location. It's got great natural light and she has decorated it with nice pieces from her travels.

My point is, I could care less what size her stove is. I didn't notice if she had a backsplash or not. I wanted to live in that space! If I could afford to live there, with the woods outside my window, I could care less about the little details.

• suzanne_sl
    12 years ago

chatty3867 was debating backsplashes for her canterbury cambria almost exactly one year ago. She thought about a pressed tin:

What she ultimately chose was this-not sure exactly what it is, possibly travertine. I really like the way it came out:

I was thinking of a backsplash made of the same quartz, but this seems a bit much. This photo is from the Cambria website:
    {{!gwi}}

Here's a thought, although this configuration may be considered "dated." I like it:

This kitchen/bath place went with a backsplash on top of a 4" self-backsplash. I just don't think the 4"-er adds anything positive. Besides that, the rest of the backsplash seems like a nice blend:

Really, it all comes down to what appeals to you. Bring home the samples, prop them on the counter, and consider.

• maries1120
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Besides the person at the Tile Shop pushing Travertine, I went somewhere else and am considering Florida Tile - Livingston in either greige or taupe. I am trying to put in a link but my first time on this site so not sure if it will work.
    The tile isn't too pricey but the other pieces are so with the tile design I am thinking of just the material could be $1000. Just not something I want to put in to just rip out and try again.

Here is a link that might be useful: Florida tile livingston

• rococogurl
    12 years ago

Not everyone puts in and rips out tile just like that. I think it's a bigger deal for some.

Wondering if you had seen the Florida tile Tranquil small mosaic -- scroll down to the 2 x 1 and whether either desert or golden colors would work. With the glossy surface that tile (no idea about cost so excuse that) would have a little more wow factor with the Cambria but not upstage it.

If there were pics of the existing kitchens and cabinets that would help people find suggestions (unless you want to find them and just get comments).

I do really like the small mosaics right now -- alternately the cement tiles with bold patterns but those are trickier picks with active counters.

• maries1120
    Original Author
    12 years ago

rococogurl - I didn't seee that but will need to go back and check on that. The desert might work but at least I could see if I prefer a glossier finish rather than a matte look. We are 5 weeks from the start so I don't need to pick the backsplash yet but need to do some painting and it would help get the paint color right the first time if I did have that picked or at least a highly likely choice that I can confirm once the counters are in. Thanks.

• CEFreeman
    12 years ago

I was looking and looking for a backsplash tile and could find nothing I liked. Then, I realized the countertop someone made for me out of a really beautiful Wilsonart wasn't what I wanted.

So I stopped.
    Then, I realized the 1x1 tiles that caught my eye, and the pencil ones, etc., were going to be dated in a while. I caused me to stop and think about how much of my kitchen didn't fit into any category because it is a conglomeration of what I like, what I find, what I make, and what my space allows.

So now I don't fit into any category that I can nail down. So I might remain timeless, or I might have some trendy cool things I love.

Hard to say. I'm liking some wall papers these days and wondering how to seal them.

Christine

• janjan212
    12 years ago

I feel your pain. I'm just beginning to look at splashes. ...(granite choice was just finalized this week) My fabricator told me to look around for ideas but not too seriously until the counters are installed so I can see the finished look of the counters after fabrications and in my lighting.

I agree with the people that said to get what YOU like. For me...All I knew was, I didn't want the backsplash and the granite to fight each other for attention. If I ended up with a simple granite, I would do something eye-catching on the splash.

In the end, our granite will be the one with more interest (at least I THINK it will....it's not installed yet) so I am imagining something more neutral, that looks good with the granite...maybe something that just gives off the appearance of texture. If that's travertine, or subway tiles, etc so be it. Like others, I want to feel good when I walk into my updated kitchen, not worry about how soon it will be "out of style" or if it "was ever in style to begin with"

• junnsey
    12 years ago

Suzannesl, Thanks for the pics. Your a wonder at that ( I haven't figured out posting pics yet).

• cooksnsews
    12 years ago

I think most folks obsess toooo much about the materials to use, when they should be focusing on colour, particularly when the back splash is the last element to be chosen. Colour matters! You are better off choosing builder-grade materials if the colours coordinate, than going with the trendy, spendy, fashionable materials which have the wrong undertones happening. And don't ever kid yourself that "neutral" is safe - all beiges, creams, off-whites, greys, etc have specific tints in them and they DON'T go with everything, whether you LOVE them or not.

• maries1120
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I think the tint in the travertine is what is messing me up and made me start looking at other options. Although I did like the size and finish of the last travertine samples. Then I saw on here that travertine is fading so was wondering why they kept leading me toward that. Because the quartz is busy, I want the backsplash to be more neutral but the right neutral to compliment the countertop.

• calimama
    12 years ago

I agree with the other posters about picking something that fits with the house. The person that buys my home most certainly won't be buying it because it has a great backsplash, more likely it will be in spite of the backsplash, and that's okay because I love it.

Go with something that you love; there must be a style or size or material that compells you to stop and admire every time you see it. Follow that.

If you are just doing your remodel for resale value, go with paint and let the next owner decide.

• phiwwy
    12 years ago

I too am struggling with this decision. My countertops will be bianco antico granite; cabinets cloud white and island espresso stain. Hood will be oil rubbed bronze with black steel accents. all stainless appliances. I found a really interesting metal tile accent which i love http://www.questech.com/cast_metal_dorset_minted_metals.html
    in the oil rubbed nickel. I am thinking a neutral tile backsplash with either a strip of the above metal tile running through the run, or a few 2x2s or 4x4s above the cooktop, not in a panel though. The neutral tile I found is from soho studios in wooden beige. I'm thinking the brick pattern, but would consider the 4x12s. http://www.sohostudiocorp.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=wooden+beige&search_button.x=11&search_button.y=14

Love to hear thoughts!

• jterrilynn
    12 years ago

In my current kitchen I used 1/2" x 2" glass mosaics and I like it. However, I'm pretty sure that in my next house my new kitchen will perhaps have something behind the range but other than that I'll paint or use a cool colorful washable wallpaper (with walls properly prepared). I'll probably stay in the next house until I die or go to a nursing home; I know how easily I get bored with things so I will use materials that can be changed without ripping the walls off. I'm thinking that I might also use art behind glass or just glass framed art for the range area; again, I can change it out without ripping walls off. I don't think there is a safe tile that will never go out of style.

• pawa
    12 years ago

To the OP: I think people on this board are more trend-conscious than the people at the tile store, so that's why you're getting conflicting info. I would listen to the people here, if I were you.

I also think that you are probably more practical than creative. Am I right? If so, why don't you look in some magazines and try and find something you like there. Read the LATEST magazines to get an idea of possible up-and-coming trends. Don't look at the kitchens in the ads - those are a bit behind the times. Look at the kitchens that are actually featured in articles.

Just some thoughts there. Take 'em or leave 'em.

• doonie
    12 years ago

I think a timeless backsplash is one that you will not ever personally tire of! The safest bet is something that fades into the back ground and is only noticed as an afterthought. There are so many choices of backsplash materials and colors that it is easy to become overwhelmed. To narrow down the selection, it helps to come up with a specific budget to spend on the backsplash.

I found my inspiration in a kitchen magazine just like Pawa stated above. I found a kitchen that I adored the feel of and then investigated their tile source. Once I looked into the tile, I fell in love with it's artistry and very deliberately selected it. I think it became a focal point, but without overwhelming my kitchen. I know I will never get the resale value out of the tile. It's purely art and non functional, but I love seeing it.

So that's my two cents worth!

• junnsey
    12 years ago

I think I have decided!! Yeah! Right or wrong it just feels good to have a decision. I am going with the cottage lane subway tiles, beveled, in summer beige. Now I just have to figure out where accents and trim will be and order. I do think this is something I will like and feel comfortable with. If they are timeless or not, I don't care. It will be new to me for the next 10 yrs or so. Isn't that about how long it takes us to tire of our choices? Before this change, my kitchen was a ushape with laminate and linoleoum. Now I have hardwood floors, an island and new countertops. I even had the checked wallpaper below the chair rail and a border above. Houses are always a work in progress. I will try to post a picture when the backsplash is in. Wish me luck, I've never tiled before! All of your comments were interesting and informing, and well, timeless!

• maries1120
    Original Author
    12 years ago

junnsey - congrats on a decision! The accents and trims are a whole other issue and usually a major part of the total cost. I think this sounds nice with the Canterbury and hope you can post pics. I agree with the poster that timeless is what we don't get tired of. We re-did the bathroom and 6 yrs later I still love that tile. Very neutral but the added listellos and deco tiles made it perfect in our eyes. We don't plan on selling any time soon but if we did, I think most people would be able to live with it and hopefully like it as much as we do. I think I am just hoping to finish this kitchen and love how everything comes together. Between multiple big projects at work and this kitchen I am totally stressed. Too bad I can't focus full time just on the kitchen and picking things out.

• wallycat
    12 years ago

I confess I never even knew about backsplashes till I got to this site. I remember the house I grew up in had a range pushed to one side of a wall (vent? open a window somewhere in the kitchen), a refrigerator tucked into a corner and a sink with small counters on each side. The backsplash was PAINTED WALL. My mom prepped everything on the kitchen table, then had to clean it all up before serving a meal.

Our last house had laminate with the obligatory 4-6" laminate rounded up.

The house I am in now has so much window and so little wall space, I could not squeeze a tile in to save my life.

I say go with what you love because no one will have the same taste and you cannot build to sell unless you are moving in a year.

• mjtx2
    12 years ago

If what you love happens to be in style at the moment, go for it. But you have to discern if you really love it or if it just is appealing because it's new and fresh.

For example, I love mosaic shell tiles all massed together on a backsplash. Love it, love it. And I've just seen it recently, but I'm pretty sure I'd never tire of it, because I LOVE it.

On the other hand, I may want to make the backsplash part of the house and not a real focal point, and if I do that I'm going to replicate the v-groove alder paneling from the foyer and hall, with several coats of finish, of course. I haven't seen this look anywhere but think I'd love it even though it wouldn't be a showpiece. Still, probably would look great and interesting.

But either one of these looks kind of makes my heart jump, and with neither do I feel like I "have to" pick something. You shouldn't pick something like a backsplash by default thinking. Just my .02.

• a2gemini
    12 years ago

I really want back painted glass tiles but not sure I can make my dream a reality! Used a lot in Europe and think it will become more popular in US

• Bon22
    12 years ago

I agree with cooknsews.. focus on the correct color match (regardless of the material).

that being said.. I too am working on a decision for our backsplash. We will have Antiqued brown leather on the perimeter counters (Blue Louise on the island), and I have just talked my wonderful hubby into letting me make the backsplash out of glass! Still deciding on the exact pattern size (I will be making irregular width slices of glass, running vertical)..
    stessful trying to decide on a backsplash...

• junnsey
    12 years ago

Finally ordering. It takes a while to figure this out! Maries1120, hope you have the time and peace to see what you want.

• junnsey
    12 years ago

I know this thread is dead, but my tile just came in today! I am planning on installing this weekend. I still think I will like it.

• debrak_2008
    12 years ago

Please post photos!

• gr8daygw
    12 years ago

I am seeing marfil and botticino tiles that look great as an alternative to travertine if you are looking for alternatives with that great interesting but neutral look. One thing I think looks dated is the border stripe of a different tile inset into straight set tiles. It looks nice but with granite it just seems a bit too much and formulaic box store.

• suzeo99
    12 years ago

I found a tile ILVA Elementi in the Aria shade that I liked as a travertine replacement.

• weimom
    12 years ago

Maries1120, I was wondering if you ever decided on the backsplash? My cabinets arrive on Monday and I haven't even started looking. I have the Canterbury also and a fair amount of backsplash area. I would love to see your ideas.

• owataqt
    12 years ago

Sogentry- love your back splash

Hey gang-I had to giggle when I looked at my updated kitchen I dis this week.

I used white subway tiles. To me it's simple and clean looking and plain...heck it's the last thing I notice in the kitchen. I can't imagine it being dated looking anytime sin. It could be because it's not alot.

But simple and clean..to me..heck I love it

• charliehorse99
    12 years ago

Just had our backsplash go in TODAY. Full-height quartz, Chroma: Crystal White (same as counter). This is an ultra-modern kitchen though.

• junnsey
    12 years ago

Tiling is not for whimps. Maybe 1/3rd done. I am developing a close and personal relationship with a wet saw. I will post more when it is finished. Any other pics out there?

• weimom
    11 years ago

Junnsey,
    Have you finished your backsplash? It looks like you have Cambria Canterbury and I would love to see the finished product. I have Canterbury and the Anthracite Silgranit with ORB faucet too. I like the subway tiles but can't decide on what kind/color. Thanks!

• maries1120
    Original Author
    11 years ago

weimom - no definite decision yet. I need to finalize the countertop selection in the next week. I am still thinking Canterbury but having a rough time picking a floor that goes with this and the cabinets. We were going to do wood and DH decided he wanted stone instead. Unless I find something soon I may change the countertop to keep from going crazy. As far as backsplash tile though I do have some in mind. It was a new tile at HD called Briton by Daltile. It is a bone color with very little color variation but some. The wall tile options are 6x6s and 1x2s. I have a few different designs using the 2 sizes. The 1x2s come on a mesh sheet but I was thinking of having these cut into strips and installed just 1 deep as a row to break up the 6x6 tiles. That's the plan for the moment and subject to change as these final decision evovle but I do like the neutralness of this tile. And it would end up being very cheap to do this which is an added plus and a surprise to find something I like that isn't expensive.

• weimom
    11 years ago

Thanks Marie, I need to hurry up and decide something. I am holding up the project and really want to get this finished. This is such a busy time for GC's and of course I want to have his full attention and finish so he can move on to his other jobs. He has been amazingly attentive but he is getting slammed with jobs now and I am happy for him.I really don't have that much area to backsplash. At least not large areas so I can't really go with anything too busy and the Canterbury dictates that as well. I like the subway tiles and maybe some copper accents of some sort. I am anxious to hear what you decide with a countertop. Our floors are wood so the Canterbury looks great with it.

• maries1120
    Original Author
    11 years ago

weimom - it looks like this will be the floor. The pic doesn't do it justice but the colors work well with the Cambria and our cabinets.

Here is a link that might be useful: Adura Pumice Sicilian Stone

• weimom
    11 years ago

Oh Marie, I think that would look really nice with it! I do like it.

• gr8daygw
    11 years ago

I was just tile shopping for my mother's backsplash to go with her typhoon bordeaux granite. What I found is that travertine is still in it just looks a little different. It is smoother and softer in color very natural. It's not tumbled or craggy and you can do tiny grout lines. I really liked it. Then you can add some of those glittery 1 x 1's randomly in a dark garnet color and it just looks great with her granite. I also plan to put a pretty bronze metal plaque over her range. Those are so beautiful. Wish I had a picture to show you! Good luck!