Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stu2900

How do you know you're getting a quality faucet?

stu2900
15 years ago

DM just bought a Moen faucet at Lowes. It looks identical to the Moen Castleby that I've seen on Faucet Depot. When we got home, the base of the spout turns out to be plastic. I look at the specs on Faucet Depot and it says "metal construction with chrome plated or LifeShine stainless finish." The Lowes faucet was only $88 and the Faucet Depot faucet is about $125. Are these the same faucet? Or, is the FD faucet really all metal and the Lowes faucet just a cheaper version? She definetly doesn't want any plastic on the faucet.

Here is a link that might be useful: Faucet Depot Moen Castleby

Comments (12)

• User
    15 years ago

Call Moen and inquire they should be able to tell you what the deal is.

• weissman
    15 years ago

Check the model numbers exactly - if there's even one digit or letter different or extra, it's a different model.

• buddyrose
    15 years ago

When I buy faucets I look for a solid brass body with ceramic disc cartridge inside. I don't think your faucet has either. To me that's not a good faucet. But it could last years anyway. I also don't want anything plastic because eventually plastic cracks and then you have a leaky faucet.

• gardenburgher
    15 years ago

Here's a link to a great, easy to read article that that tells you what to look for and why. It really helped me make a decision when it came time to choose a faucet.

Here's an excerpt regarding Lowe's Moen vs. Faucet Depot's Moen:

"Most major faucet manufacturers will make special models just for the large retailers. . . in some cases the faucet can be sold at a lower price because the materials used are lower quality - plastic spouts rather than brass, for example.

. . . If the model number or name is exactly the same, most likely you have a regular-line faucet. If it is not the same (usually by the addition of a suffix such as M1045-HD rather than M1045), then it is probably a store model.

. . . If still in doubt, call the manufacturer's customer service and ask. "

HTH!

Here is a link that might be useful: http://starcraftcustombuilders.com/sources.faucets.htm

• stu2900
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'm looking for a 4 hole, 8" center gooseneck faucet with two handles and a sidespray, with no plastic. I wouldn't think that would be too hard to find, but we went to the big box stores today and they all had plastic, mostly on the base of the spout and the sidespray. Anyone know of any that are all metal with a ceramic cartridge, under $150? Any help would be most appreciated.

• bigdoglover
    15 years ago

sjt2900, I think Price Pfister makes a good looking low end faucet. The PP bathroom faucets we had in our last house lasted for 12 years and were still going when we left. The Moen kitchen and shower faucets, on the other hand, got leaks. Kitchen faucet had to be totally replaced.

Kohler is good too, but higher priced than PP.

If I were trying to keep the price low I'd go Price Pfister.

• gardenburgher
    15 years ago

Sjt2900 - Faucet Direct has a great search feature. I was able to narrow down the choices to:

4 holes - 8" center - two handles - ceramic disc - solid brass

There were 4 gooseneck faucets under $150 and several others that were close to $150.

(I assume you want an escutcheon since it looks like the Moen Castleby has one.)

• User
    15 years ago

If you're interested in a "good" faucet, Price Pfitzer is NOT the way to go. Take it from expensive personal experience, THEY ARE JUNK! Just do a forum search for price pfitzer and you'll get a good concenses.

• stu2900
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thought I'd let you know DM ended up with a Delta faucet from Lowes. She just didn't want to mess with ordering anything and the one we found was all metal and washerless. (Can't remember the name right now.) Interesting discovery, though. I contacted Moen and told them we were looking for a faucet with no plastic and they wrote back to say all their faucets have plastic side sprays. All my personal faucets were orderd from Faucet Direct or Faucet Depot. I have Kohler, Hansgrohe, and Danze (none with plastic) and I love them all. Isn't it a shame you can't go into a local store and find a quality product. Anyway, thanks everyone for your help.

• buddyrose
    15 years ago

I have an old faucet in the kitchen I'm redoing and it has a plastic separate, side sprayer. It got a crack and water shot up all over my kitchen when I turned on the faucet. But it was the prior owner's sink so who knows how old it is. Hope the one purchased doesn't ever do that! LOL

• craigintx
    15 years ago

gardenburgher - how did you search for solid brass? I couldn't find that option on faucetdirect.

• gardenburgher
    15 years ago

Hmmmm. You're right. I went back through to try to recreate what I did.

First I narrowed it by ceramic disc, 8" centers, 2 handles, sidespray, price, "includes handles", and 4 faucet holes. That left 27 faucets. Then I added "escutcheon" since the Castleby had one. That narrowed it to 18.

Then I visually narrowed it to 12 faucets, basing it on the appearance of Castleby. And then narrowed it to 4 by price ($150 and under).

So I only had to look at 4 faucets more closely to see if they were brass. I think that's pretty good considering I started with 1465 faucets!

Sorry if I mislead you!

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County