Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bunnyemerald

Jaw-dropping granite

Bunny
10 years ago

I was at the stone yard today looking for a carrara slab (not successful). On my way out I saw a couple of granites that stopped me dead in my tracks. I don't think I could ever live with these, but oh my, it doesn't mean I don't think they're gorgeous.

Fantasy Brown (more gray than brown). Reminds me of Bargello flame stitch.

Brown Sequoia. I mean c'mon, outrageous. It actually looks like an artistic rendition of wood. I had to touch it to make sure it wasn't some artificial material.

Comments (29)

• justmakeit
    10 years ago

Those are un.be.lieve.able! That second one especially -- as you said, it almost doesn't look like stone at all.

• Bunny
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I know! It looks like a giant enlargement of a cross-section of some exotic wood. It didn't look real, or from our world. It almost looked fake, but it wasn't.

• debrak2008
    10 years ago

Very cool!

• desertsteph
    10 years ago

it looks multi-dimensional

• greenhaven
    10 years ago

I would totally have to find a pace for that second slab in my home. Hubba, hubba.

• andreak100
    10 years ago

That second slab...wow! Gorgeous. It's quite bold, but it would be amazing in a kitchen.

• Amy Sumner
    10 years ago

These are stunning. Thank you for posting! I bet those slabs get snatched up.

• cat_mom
    10 years ago

Gorgeous!

• Gooster
    10 years ago

Both of them are so beautiful; I do love the granites with some movements in them. The second almost looks like Onyx, with the layers and the translucency.

• firstmmo
    10 years ago

Nature is amazing....I love them but not sure if I could ever put these on my kitchen counter. I will admit though I have seen some pictures where some very talented and brave people have done an amazing job of integrating something like this into their homes. I have a few slabs of some very "aggressive" marble that I am hoping will somehow balance the line between amazing/awesome and amazing/crazy. They are installed in my master bath. I can see why you felt the need to photo these :)

• Texas_Gem
    10 years ago

Looking at these makes me wish they wouldn't clash horribly with my cherry stained cabinets and giallo Napoli granite that I already have installed on my perimeters.

I am still looking and trying to decide if I should go with a different granite or other countertop material for my island or if I should just have it all match.

Regardless, gorgeous granite I wish I could use somewhere.

• Iowacommute
    10 years ago

I would make the second one a feature wall somewhere. It is beautiful.

• Kitch4me
    10 years ago

That brown sequoia is awesome!!!

• mjocean
    10 years ago

Gorgeous stones, thanks for sharing.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    10 years ago

Good luck with seam placement.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Wow! I loved looking at stone...it was like walking through an art museum. That second one you posted is a-maz-ing!

• Bunny
    Original Author
    10 years ago

firsthouse, I know I couldn't live with this in my kitchen. Feeding cats, making cookies, the Sunday paper spread everywhere. :) Even my quietly mottled quartz is a little too busy for me. But on a vertical surface, as a piece of art, I could do that. The brown sequoia and its partner slab were the first to greet me as I walked out the door into the stone yard.

• CEFreeman
    10 years ago

OMG.
    Granite? I'm really only familiar with granite that has a lot of speks in it. Don't like specks.

I could IMMEDIATELY picture these in a very monochromatic kitchen, where these granite would be the most intense focal pieces.

Wow. Really fantastic!

• nancylouise5me
    10 years ago

They really do look like works of art don't they! Simply gorgeous. Thanks for sharing. NancyLouise

• gone_south
    10 years ago

Beautiful. Really love the sequoia and hadn't seen it before. I could totally have used that in my house. Thanks for posting these.

• gone_south
    10 years ago

I thought it might be great around a fireplace, and google popped up this:

Here is a link that might be useful: Sequoia Brown fireplace

• Bunny
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Gone_South, that fireplace is the perfect use for sequoia brown! Why could I live with it there, but not in the kitchen?

But what's that thing sitting in the fireplace? It looks like a bed of nails in reverse.

• feisty68
    10 years ago

I'm pretty sure those are both quartzite or a different stone, not granite.

• mark_rachel
    10 years ago

Show stoppers!!

• gone_south
    10 years ago

linelle, I think the thing in the fireplace is a mistake, lol.

• Cloud Swift
    10 years ago

I think it is supposed to be art - a decorative fireplace screen - not one that would be effective for wood fire, but just something to screen the view of the firebox when there is no fire. But the vertical lines clash with the horizontal stone grain IMO and even by itself it isn't attractive to me.

That's a lovely piece of fantasy brown. The pieces I've seen are more brown but also lovely.

I once saw a piece of "granite" that was white with lavender veins - it looked a lot like Azul Macaubus but with lavender instead of aqua blue so it may have been quartzite. I wish I'd taken a picture - it was pretty amazing stone too.

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    10 years ago

I also took a few photos of slabs that were just outrageously beautiful, when I was shopping for my counters. I would never have even thought of using them but thought they would be fabulous as wall art for a commercial building, or a hotel or high rise lobby.

• Bunny
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, it turns out he has a little friend. :)

• gone_south
    10 years ago

That really is beautiful.