Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tminn

Type of wood??

tminn
10 years ago

Anyone know what type of wood these cabinets are made of?

Comments (16)

• herbflavor
    10 years ago

best guess: birch

• ci_lantro
    10 years ago

I think that it's pecan wood.

• live_wire_oak
    10 years ago

Select hickory or pecan with a veneer center panel. Doesn't look open grained enough for oak. And birch isn't that grainy.

• tminn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It's definitely not a veneer center panel. I know they were Amish made cabinets...

• live_wire_oak
    10 years ago

There's nothing wrong with veneer. It's more stable than solid wood for panels. And that's definitely veneer. You only have to look at the grain pattern to see it. A panel that wide out of solid wood would be out of several pieces and you would see "striping". showing where the pieces were joined.

• tminn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That makes sense...thanks for sharing that. The panel just feels so thick and solid that we didn't have any thought that it would be a veneer. It also feels the same when you touch it as the outer part. We know nothing about would at all, though, and appreciate your input!

• tminn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sorry, my phone auto-corrected "wood" as "would"

• Vertise
    10 years ago

Don't know but that's a beautiful door.

• cookncarpenter
    10 years ago

As a 40 year woodworker, I'm going with solid Hickory or Pecan. ...hard to be a veneer with that raised panel

• GreenDesigns
    10 years ago

Um, that's a recessed panel door, not a raised panel one. Only the stiles and rails around the panel are solid hickory, which is normal. The panel itself is a veneer, probably over plywood if they were made by Amish folks. MDF is actually preferred for veneered panels as it's more stable. There is a bit of prejudice against MDF by your average folks, so even if it's a better material, it's hard for a cabinet maker to sell it to those who aren't eduated without educating them. And most don't even try.

• brickeyee
    10 years ago

"The panel itself is a veneer, probably over plywood if they were made by Amish folks."

The panel is raised.
    The edges have been cut back to create the raised flat center of the panel.

How it is then mounted in the door frame may be recessed behind the rails & stiles, even with their faces, or proud of their faces.
    Without some very close up pictures of the edge of the fat in the middle of the panel I would vote solid wood.

There would be end grain visible in the bevel around the panel if it was plywood, and no grain at all for MDF.

Pretty tough to veneer that nice slope around the edges of the panel continuous with the face of the panel.

When you take a flat board and remove a strip around the periphery it is called 'raising a panel. and results in a 'raised panel.

This post was edited by brickeyee on Wed, Apr 24, 13 at 11:48

• ci_lantro
    10 years ago

It's a raised panel that's been made by edge gluing two pcs of wood. Look closely at the bevel on the far left side and you can see the joint. You'll also see that two pcs that comprise the panel are not a good grain match. The color is spot on but the grain is not. Still, much better matching than you'll get from Kraft Maid & company.

Beautiful wood.

• eve72
    10 years ago

That's definitely NOT a veneer.

• Vertise
    10 years ago

The veneered raised panels also get rounded over the edges. These appear rather defined.

Hickory is much busier in grain, I think, with strong contrasts.

• joyce_6333
    10 years ago

Here's a picture of the sample hickory cabinet doors our cabinet guy gave us....stained SW chestnut. Quite similar to the OPs picture, however my first thought when I saw the pic was that it was cherry. But I really don't know. Not all hickory is busy with strong contrasts. I believe the word our cabinet maker used was "select" or "premium" to indicate the wood was more uniform.

• hobbesct
    10 years ago

Yep, definitely not a veneer. The grain pattern carries through into the cove cuts around the raised center. You're not going to get that with a veneer.

Generally you'll never see a veneer panel with those cove cuts.

I also agree that it is two boards glued together.