Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Depth of drawers front-to-back

Posted by olivertwist (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 5, 13 at 18:05

I have a few banks of drawers that I am ordering extra-deep, and I was surprised that they are not as deep as I thought they would be.

Current counters and base cabs are 24" deep.
New counters will be 27" so I asked for full depth drawers in some of my drawer banks. KD is now telling me that with extra deep drawers I will have only 24" of usable space inside. I was surprised because I was expecting more space than I have now, albeit in a standard base cabinet.

This is what KD told me:
A cabinet will have almost same depth as cabinet minus the backing if it is a Shelf.
Once you add a drawer the space is taken up by drawer glides and thickness of wood for construction of the drawer.
24" deep base = 21" usable drawer
27" deep base = 24" useable drawer

Is this correct? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Depth of drawers front-to-back

Yes

o

Wow, ok, thanks!

o

My custom, full overlay, framed cabinets have slightly less than 20" front to back.

o

OT - I received our email and will attempt to post pics this weekend.

o

OT - be still my heart! Motherof3sons, did you mean tile instead of email?!!

o

I just measured our drawers in a 24" base. The inside dimension of the drawer, front to back is 19.5". The outside dimension, minus the faceplate is 21". These are drawers in a frameless cabinet, but I don't think that matters for this purpose.

o

Under-mount drawer slides come in 21" and 24" lengths (shorter lengths also). Due to their design the outside dimensions of the drawers have to match the chosen length exactly. This means that the longest drawer that can fit in a standard 24" base is 21". Base cabinets that are deep enough (typically 27") can use the 24" slides.

Side-mount slides offer greater flexibility in drawer depth, but they are significantly less popular for kitchen use these days.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here