Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ashleymking

we have cabinets! :) (pic heavy)

ashleymking
12 years ago

It finally feels like the end is within sight. After not having a kitchen since the end of September, today made it feel worth it.

Our cabinets are from a local cabinet maker that we took a bit of a risk on, but we're quite happy so far. We debated for quite a while about whether to run the cabinets to our 8.5 ft ceilings, but we're so happy we did. It feels like the height of the cabinets makes the room so much larger (which is huge in our 9 by 12 kitchen.

I do have one question regarding counters/backsplash. We're leaning towards the quartz that we feel looks somewhat like soapstone and a marble backsplash. Being that our house was built in 1930, do you think these are choices that make sense with our home? If not, do you have suggestions.

Before:

New cabinets:

Possible quartz countertops (soapstone look alike) and backsplash...what do you think?

Comments (22)

• Lori Ryan
    12 years ago

Your kitchen looks beautiful! You must be so happy after all this time. I like your choice of counter top and back splash.

• abbeys
    12 years ago

I think your new kitchen and the countertop/backsplash look beautiful. I'm not familiar with the quartz that looks like soapstone, but it is a classic look. Your cabinets look terrific, I think going all the way to the ceiling was the right choice. Can't wait to see the finished version. Good Luck!

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    12 years ago

Beautiful. I really NEED to know where you got your knobs- those gorgeous glass ones!- if you don't mind sharing :)

• EasyPeasy
    12 years ago

Wow, since September? You must be so relieved. The end is near.....soon you will have even have a sink! :)

I really like your choices. I think the countertop is a good contrast to the cabinetry and the marble sample looks very nice against both the countertop and cabinets.

I think it was a very good decision to recess that fridge into where the stove used to be. I had a similar configuration with a peninsula near my recessed frige + pantry cabs and loved it.

Good luck sorting out the backsplash. Can't wait to see more progress. Hope everything keeps chugging along for you!

• ashleymking
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, all! We've done all of the work ourselves to save money, with the exception of the installation of the wood floors. It's been a long, slow journey, but I think it will be worth it in the end. :)

Beaglesdoitbetter: The glass knobs are from Lee Valley. They were wonderful to work with; I highly recommend them!

I've included a link to their page below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lee Valley

• bh401
    12 years ago

Very Nice!! I love your counter and backsplash choices. I think they will look great with your cabinets and still look "period". Love, Love, Love it all, including your knobs and pulls.

• juniork
    12 years ago

Beautiful! Love the cabinets, and I agree; you definitely made the right decision re. taking them all the way up to the ceiling.

Your old kitchen sink is drool-worthy! Please, PLEASE tell me that you're using it again in your remodel. Did you see the recent thread about antique sinks? Yours is a beautiful example! Congrats on getting your cabs!

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    12 years ago

Thank you!

• ashleymking
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Juniork: we actually decided not to use the sink in the new kitchen, only because the bowl isn't very deep and the water had a tendency to splash all of over the user. We did, however, save it in hopes of installing it in our laundry room. If it doesn't work there, ours might end on ebay, too. :(

• mtnrdredux_gw
    12 years ago

I love it all!

• sumnerfan
    12 years ago

Gorgeous!

• lisaabby
    12 years ago

congratulations! it looks beautiful! can you tell me more about your counter? thank you!

• leela4
    12 years ago

Beautiful choices-and I love those knobs!

• aliris19
    12 years ago

Keep the sink!!! It really is beautiful.

As is the rest - not meaning to detract from that! Congratulations....

• yellowdog2
    12 years ago

You're hard work has paid off!! You've done a really nice job. Congratulations, it's going to be lovely.

• francoise47
    12 years ago

Looking beautiful! I love your cabinets and the counter/cabinet/backsplash combination.

I'm curious about your quartz. I've looked at a lot of quartz samples and haven't seen one that looks like yours. I'd love to know the name and manufacturer. Thanks.

• ashleymking
    Original Author
    12 years ago

lisaabby & francoise47: The quartz is by Hanstone (on their website it's listed under Hanwhat Surfaces, which I assume is a specific category/brand of theirs). The color we're leaning towards is in the Ruscello collection and is called Grigio. I've attached a link to the Hanstone website below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hanstone/Hanwha Quarz

• pricklypearcactus
    12 years ago

Wow! Your kitchen is coming together beautifully! I love how you've opened up the space and carried the floor throughout. Love your cabinet hardware. I think your countertop/backsplash samples look really lovely. I'm sorry I know nothing about authentic 1930s materials, but I can tell you they will look beautiful.

• ashleymking
    Original Author
    12 years ago

oops meant to type Hanwha (not Hanwhat)

• wolfgang80
    12 years ago

The cabinets look wonderful. As for the countertop, what is your motivation for getting a quartz that looks like soapstone versus getting soapstone? I like your quartz but given the age of your home and all the raves about living with soapstone, I would lean toward the real thing.

• spayurdog
    12 years ago

Beautiful choices! I love it all:)

• ashleymking
    Original Author
    12 years ago

wolfgang80: I've considered (and in all honesty am still considering) soapstone, but my biggest worry is that I won't handle the chips and water marks well. We definitely want something that's low maintenance and not damaged very easily (as the DH does most of the cooking and isn't exactly careful or gentle in the kitchen). Do you think the soapstone would be much more period appropriate and/or a better fit overall?

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville