Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ladybuggy

What size crown moulding for 8' celings.

Snuggle Mug Co
15 years ago

Hi,

I am getting close to finalizing our order on kitchen cabinets. We will be going with a white shaker kitchen with crown moulding to the ceiling. Our kitchen has 8' ceilings, what size moulding would look best?

Our KD thinks 3.5" is big enough, but I would like to go with 5.25". Do you think 5 and a quarter will be to much for 8' ceilings?

Can anyone share photos of their 8' ceiling with 5.25" crown moulding to the ceiling?

Thanks!

Comments (12)

• kulagal
    15 years ago

We are putting in 4 inch crown molding in our 8ft ceiling cottage incl kitchen. It looks perfect! If I can get the pic here I will post it.

• erikanh
    15 years ago

Our ceilings are only 7'6" high. My KD recommended 2 3/4" high crown moldings. That sounded so small to me but then she showed me how they look larger when installed because they're at an angle:

I'm really glad I trusted her and didn't do larger crown moldings. I didn't want anything that would make my simple shaker cabinets look top-heavy. These seem perfect to me.

I think your KD is right and that 4" is plenty big enough.

Good luck!

Erika

• PRO
    Snuggle Mug Co
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the replies and photos. Eirkanh and ajasmam your kitchens look great. Kulagal, I would love to see a photo of your crown if you are able to post.

I think the smaller crown is the right choice, the larger crown may look too top heavy.

Thanks for the feedback.

• lesmis
    15 years ago

I think some of it depends on how detailed your moulding is. We have 8 ft. ceilings and used 4 1/2 inch moulding, but it's very very simple cove moulding. If it had more detail I think it might be too heavy looking, but the simplicity makes it ok at 4 1/2.

Our kitchen isn't done yet, sorry for the mess.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• msgreatdeals
    15 years ago

My ceiling is 8 ft and I just ordered 3". I hope they look like Erika's.

• alaskangirl
    15 years ago

Are your cabinets going to be custom, or will you be ordering a standard size? We just did 36 inch cabinets with 8 foot ceilings, and I really wanted my crown to go all the way to the ceiling. There was about a 6 inch difference, so I did a build up of mouldings and filler to get it to the ceiling. I did a small trim on top of the cabinet, then a flat filler strip (3 inches tall), then about 4 inch crown on top. It looks wonderful, and filled the top of the cabinet well.

If you have custom, you could just get slightly taller cabinets, and then do a 3-4 inch moulding on top.

• karena_2009
    15 years ago

I had the choice of going with 36 or 39 inch uppers, but decided to go with the 36 inch uppers and used 6" crown moulding with a rope insert to make up the difference. I'm so excited to have the crown moulding as I just have some time of straight-looking shoe moulding now.

I don't have a picture to show because like msgreatdeals, I just ordered my cabinets on Saturday. There's probably no right or wrong answer.

Good luck!

• kitchenredo2
    15 years ago

The height of most ceilings are not consistent within a room. On one side of the room they could be 96" and on the other, 94". Or if you're really "lucky" at one end of a run of cabinets they will be one height and a different height at the other end of the run.

Keeping that in mind, I did not go with 42" upper cabinets (I have in theory 96" ceilings). I went with 39" upper cabinets so my moulding will be able to be adjusted if my ceilings aren't consistent in my kitchen and it won't be noticeable. The smaller the moulding, the more noticeable a change in width will be. I will also be doing a very simple, contemporary moulding.

• lexluthor
    15 years ago

We also did 36" uppers about a 3" crown piece and about 3" filler/starter molding. After a small light rail, the cabinets are about 17" above the counter.

• 2ajsmama
    15 years ago

lexluthor - I love that beaded edge to match your doors, and that stacked look! Color is nice too.

I would have like to have done a routed ogee edge on filler overlapping the very top of my cabinets, with crown on top of that, but then I wouldn't be able to open the corner cabinet w/o hitting. So I had to go for flush filler with a very thin "shelf edge" half round molding at the seam where filler meets cabinet. DH says we should have put in all 36" cabinets instead of one 36" and rest 30", but it just wasn't in the budget, and I can't reach the top shelf anway.

• mary myers
    3 years ago

We just installed 39" uppers in a shaker style. we have an 8 foot ceiling. i asked my cabinet guy for a 3 to 3 1/2" molding as i wanted something simple and not too big. He did not have a sample to show me but i thought it wss a simple request and after all 3 1/2 inches is the same no matter how you measure it. Right?! Well before i knew what happened they installed a 6 " crown. Apparently he measures from the top of the cabinet to the ceiling which is the 3 1/2 inches and then adds what it is to just above the door and that measurement at an angle to the ceiling is what they use. so when i asked for 3 1/2 inch molding i got 6 inches. it looks ridiculous and he refuses to fix it. Lamperts in Lake Elmo MN. somehow i was supposed to know that us what i asked for by saying i wanted a 31/2 inch molding. Just crazy!!