Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beth1406

Opinions Needed! Where to end backsplash? Photo included

Beth1406
11 years ago

Hi everyone! We are installing white 3x6 subway tile as our back splash and I don't know where/how to end the tile because our counter and cabinets don't line up. Should we carry it out to then end of the counter? Should we extend it all the way to the start of the sliding door and then to the floor? Please help! Thanks in advance!

Comments (52)

• Beth1406
    Original Author
    11 years ago

There isn't a corner where I'm having the issue - - it's a flat section of wall that joins up to a sliding glass door.

• chicagoans
    11 years ago

Here's a rough mockup showing 3 options in case it helps you visualize:
    1 end at cabinet
    2 'stair step' from cabinet to counter depth
    3 end at counter edge

I personally prefer option 1. Looks neater to me.

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    11 years ago

Well, just put a corner there, and problem solved. ;)

I prefer to see the tile end at the edge of the upper, unless there is just a sliver left between that and the door trim. Bullnose tiles make a nice, smooth edge.

Here is a link that might be useful: Nice example - rocketmomkd

• Beth1406
    Original Author
    11 years ago

chicagoans - thanks so much! I'm torn between Option 1 and option 2. I was thinking that if we went with option 2, I could balance out the empty space with a few pieces of artwork or photos so the tile "corner" didn't stand out so much.

• ellendi
    11 years ago

I agree with nosoccormom. End it at the corner. I guess there are reasons for a sidesplash, I just have not yet seen a good reason for one.

• nosoccermom
    11 years ago

Beth,
    I meant not to tile at all on the wall with the sliding door, i.e. only a backsplash, no side splash.

• Beth1406
    Original Author
    11 years ago

nosoccermom - - the wall in my photo isn't a side splash - it's a back splash area. Just to the left of the end of the photo is our cook top. So I need the tile along that wall - - and that wall ends at the start of the sliding door (no corners involved).

• cookncarpenter
    11 years ago

I vote for even with the open shelving on the end of the upper.

• nosoccermom
    11 years ago

Oh, I get it now.

Would it be possible to have an open shelf that extends to the countertop and then just tile underneath? Or if that doesn't work, a vertical piece of art?

Rather than this:

• buildinva
    11 years ago

I vote for 1. LOVE the mock-up! Great idea!

• bcafe
    11 years ago

Beth, we just went through this same issue. We mocked up a couple of options and eventually chose to end under the upper cabinet.

• Beth1406
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'm thinking that a vertical piece of art might by a good option to fill the space. I think that tiling to the end of the counter might look awkward (option 3 in chicagoans example above). I'm leaning toward option 1.

• Beth1406
    Original Author
    11 years ago

BTW - I really appreciate all of your comments! So very helpful. :)

• Tim
    11 years ago

You might want to mock up having just the one bottom course of tile run the full length of the counter, stopping the upper courses as you have in #1.

Would finish the edge of the counter where it meets the wall.

Check what bullnose edge pieces are available in the tile you choose. Different tiles will have different options.

• rkb21
    11 years ago

I vote for option 1, or 3 if you added floating shelves to the end of the counter.

• bcafe
    11 years ago

I mocked up the look that Toronto Tim mentioned. I wasn't a fan, but you may be. We used a Schluter edge to finish off the ends as a bullnose wasn't available in our tile.

• karen_belle
    11 years ago

I think you should post a picture of the whole wall to give everyone a better idea of the scope. What happens at the other end of the cabinet run? I assume this chair is part of a peninsula?

If you don't like the tile corner shown in option 2 above (as evidenced by your need to put art there to hide it) then you should go with option 1. I think I would go with 1.

We had a bit of a similar situation where the run of our uppers was about 3" short of the run of our base cabinets. I ended the backsplash where the uppers ended. It looks fine and yours will too. There really aren't any bad choices here.

• islanddevil
    11 years ago

I think # 1, but would be able to provide a more informed opinion if I could see the whole wall and space in context. Can you post another picture?

• Beth1406
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I would be happy to post another picture! I've attached one that should provide a better perspective. Thanks in advance for your feedback!

This post was edited by Beth1406 on Sat, Apr 6, 13 at 7:57

• Gracie
    11 years ago

I've posted this option before and many people seemed to like it. It would work for you wonderfully if not for that open shelf. But hold up a piece of painted molding and give it a try anyway. Otherwise, I'd end it at the upper cabinet. Tile floating on a wall past the cabinetry disturbs my eyes!

• Beth1406
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks may-flowers - I never thought of adding molding to the tile line! This is a great option! However, the placement of my light switch plate complicates things a bit - - the tile/molding line falls right in themiddle of the switchplate. :(

• gr8daygw
    11 years ago

I wondered about this too but the tile guy told me that the countertop determines where to end the splash. Who knows? But that is what he told me and so I left it up to him. So ending the splash where the countertop ends does make it easier to wipe down counters without worrying about the drywall.

I don't think it would look good to go past the countertop to the door all the way to the floor.

This post was edited by gr8day on Sat, Apr 6, 13 at 9:26

• Gracie
    11 years ago

In gr8day's situation, she has a natural stopping spot with the door molding, so a side splash makes sense. If that wall kept on going, you usually don't turn the corner and carry it out onto that wall.

• chinchette
    11 years ago

Option 1, and vertical art.

• islanddevil
    11 years ago

Thanks for the additional pic Beth. Very nice kitchen even without a backsplash. Wow that's a tough area, and a dilemma I probably wouldn't pick up on in the design phase. So nice that we all learn from each other!

I think the pic May posted works because the counter and wall also ends at the door, but you still have wall space that continues on.

It's that short open shelf and the dropped soffit above it that's throwing me off. Any way to extend both to the end of the peninsula? Then end the backsplash at the end of the peninsula.

If not I guess I'd stick with version # 1 and some art above it. I'm not a fan of the stairstep backsplash especially in a kitchen with clean lines like yours.

BTW what is your backsplash; is it high contrast? Will the walls remain blue?

Thanks.

• Linda
    11 years ago

Wow, your wall/situation is exactly the same as mine is going to be. I like either Mayflower's plan (you can move the molding up or down a bit to avoid the switch plates), or your option #1. I was planning to take the end cabinet down to the counter, for either an appliance garage, or either an open area to tuck the toaster oven, coffee maker, etc. Wasn't sure, but seeing the problem with ending the BS, I will definitely take the last cabinet down to the counter level (I think Toronto Tim suggested that). Good luck! Your kitchen looks great! Can't wait to see the final reveal!

• Beth1406
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Island - our back splash will be a hand painted white subway tile - all white but with some depth to it. It's supposed to be installed on Wednesday - - hence my sudden issue! At this point, we can't extend the cabinet to the end of the counter - - and, even if we could, I think it would close in the seating area.

legallin - - thanks and glad we can all learn from each other's experiences!

I think I will go with option 1 and use some strategically placed artwork. I'll be sure to post a follow up picture! :)

• gyr_falcon
    10 years ago

That looks very nice! Thank you for showing a photo of the finished look. I agree that it was the correct choice. Can you also include an updated entire wall photo?

• islanddevil
    10 years ago

Looks great! Ready for the final reveal? Please post more pics and details!

• buildinva
    10 years ago

Love it!

• ruthie51
    10 years ago

That looks perfect and I love your pendants!

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

It is beautiful! Good job!

• Beth1406
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here are a few more photos! We still have some finish work to complete, but we're almost there...

• breezygirl
    10 years ago

Looks great! So much better than tiling to the slider.

• taggie
    10 years ago

That looks fabulous! Are you finished the kitchen now? You should post a new thread as a "reveal" with details of your choices. Love the counters especially. Great job.

• Beth1406
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'll definitely post a full "reveal" thread and will include the before pics. Thanks all!

• Linda
    10 years ago

Definitely the right choice! And I really like the way you "balance" the tile with those 3 pictures! Gorgeous kitchen! You must be so pleased!

• go_figure01
    10 years ago

Hi Beth1406. Just wanted to congratulate you on a great decision! WOW. That looks fabulous!!

Every time I read a thread like this, it just makes me LOVE this site ever more. No wonder I am TGWO
    TOTALLY GARDENWEB OBSESSED !

I hope you post all the details soon. I am loving your counter and BS.

• rkb21
    10 years ago

Everything looks great!

• karen_belle
    10 years ago

Looks fantastic!

• la_koala
    10 years ago

Love how you put the framed pictures in the "column" between where the tiles end and the end of the countertop. That nicely balances the whole look!

• sanjuangirl
    10 years ago

Looks perfect! Want to see the reveal soon! The blue is so pretty!

• MrsD
    9 years ago

Looks nice

• elisabe isme
    8 years ago

I wasn't a house member but I signed up purely to say how much I like this solution for the backsplash. What a great eye to solve that with those pictures.

• ericr262
    8 years ago

Definitely a good call the way you ended the run in line with the cabinet. I found this thread as I was having the same questions, and am going with this option as well. The kitchen looks beautiful!

• Nick Yoskin
    8 years ago

Looks great! Thanks so much for posting we are having the same issue. I like he tile around the window, never saw that but it looks good.

• enduring
    8 years ago

Oh heck, I'm "liking" everyone's comments above, now I see this isn old post and. Sorry to disturb folks. : )

• Cheryl Vanvoorhies
    8 years ago

I have a similar issue- same set up but raises/bar counter at that spot- any suggestions???

• gr8daygw
    8 years ago

I love the framed pictures at the end of the wall, but this is just my own petty little opinion, I think it would call less attention to the backsplash dilemma if the pictures were centered on the wall space between the door and cabinet shelves end. That way you would never even think about the backsplash and just look at the pictures and not wonder why they weren't centered on the wall, which in turn would lead to explaining the dilemma about the splash. I know that was a run-on sentence...sorry!!!