Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
a2gemini_gw

Quick Turn Around on Blanco Compost system - Last chance Monday A

a2gemini
12 years ago

Hi all

I was all geeked last night when I saw the Blanco Solon Compost system and thought I could put into my kitchen to the right of my Blanco Cascade sink.

Counter installation is Friday April 27 and I have until Monday at the crack of dawn to decide if I want to add this item.

If I installed this, it would be to the right of the sink.

Has anyone built a contraption that would hold this inside sink cabinet but pulls out for easier use.

I definitely want SS and want it to be able to go in DW.

The cabinet I am putting in there is not the best of my design and I could put the compost in the back third of the counter and it could drop into the cabinet.

I am not sure I want to put an 8-9 inch hole into the counter but the idea popped and have to overthink it as usual.

{{!gwi}}

Thoughts?

Comments (12)

• library_girl
    12 years ago

That's so funny that you had this thought, because I had the same one. What is your counter top material? I was thinking of putting mine on my island which will be walnut, so I figure, I can make my decision after trying different various options once the island is installed.

I'd be a little afraid to cut the hole in granite or marble, though. At least before checking one out.

I can imagine a pullout system where a wooden pullout drawer
    From April 19, 2012

is installed not too far below the sink bottom (since you don't need height. You could keep sponges, scrubbers in the drawer space too.

Or, I can't tell too much about the narrow cabinet to the right of your sink - can you raise the top shelf and drop it in there? It looks like it should fit.

• library_girl
    12 years ago

I just ran across a picture that describes my 2nd thought, sort of. Imagine this cabinet is your narrow cabinet and the trashcan is your compost bin.

From April 19, 2012

• oldbat2be
    12 years ago

Hi a2gemini... Sounds like you are getting close! If you are talking about putting the Solon in the skinny cabinet to the right of the sink, farther back... That might work really well! You could add a narrow pullout if you wished, which would be below the top of the composter. There is a template for the hole cutout, if you want to know exact dimensions. Let me know if you want me to post pictures of the pieces/measurements. I really like ours, the size is good and I use all the time.

• lalithar
    12 years ago

I prefer it flush mounted Right on the counter so that I can prep and add trimmings to the bin ASAP. Don't like the thought of piece of cabbage or lettuce rotting in the drawer.

Here is a link that might be useful: Flush mounted Solon compost bin

• a2gemini
    Original Author
    12 years ago

"oldbat" - if you have a picture - I would love to see you intall. You are correct on my placement idea. I was looking at the picture of the cab without a counter and a light bulb went off in my head. Here is a picture of the area

Lalithia - I will take a peak at the link. I watched one video. I think great idaa but am nervous at putting a big hole in the granite and then not using it all that much.
    We live in the "city" with a city sized lot but have "burb" critters.
    Lions and tigers and bears - no, but raccoons, ground hogs, ducks, fox, and probably coyote (and deer not too far away), plus the usual contingent of rabbits, squirrels, etc.

Where do you put you compost when you empty it?
    How often to you empty?
    Have you had any problems with local critters?
    Are you in the "country"
    Do you use a garbage disposer at all?

I am putting in Cambria - has anyone flush mounted into quartz?

I have to decide by Monday AM - otherwise, can't do it at this time. Still might get cold feet and try an inexpensive method for starters and figure a way to do downstream if I am persistent.

Thanks!

• home4all6
    12 years ago

What about something like this? So the cutout is in your cutting surface but NOT in your counter?

{{!gwi}}

• oldbat2be
    12 years ago

I have a big square (4' x 4') plastic composter with a lid, which we keep outside the basement door. I dump scraps and leaves in and occasionally remember to mix and/or add water. We abut a big woods and see plenty of wildlife but so far, have had no problems with animals getting in to it. We do not put meat into the compost.

Layout:
    {{!gwi}}

Lid off:

Trim off (protects the handle):
    {{!gwi}}

Bottom piece out, turned upside down. DH added the foam to keep snug.
    {{!gwi}}

Looking straight down (DH added a shelf to hold the dish detergent)

{{!gwi}}

I usually empty when it gets too full or too smelly. 1-2 times a week. Had to empty for these pictures, started to smell bad pretty quickly!

{{!gwi}}

• oldbat2be
    12 years ago

Meant to include this. I think our hole is a little bit larger than called for:

• zelmar
    12 years ago

We had thought about a hole-in-the-counter system but I'm really glad we decided against it. We have a lot of counter but I'm glad we didn't disrupt any more of it than we had to.

I'm pretty sure you saw rhome's thread and I'm repeating myself. The thing I've hated about every compost system we've had in the past is dealing with lids. The in-counter system still has a lid that has to be taken off and put down somewhere--not so nice if gunky. imho, swinging open a door is easier and it doesn't require a hole in the countertop. And there is no lid to deal with since it lifts off automatically when the door is opened and goes back on when closed.

We would have put the in-counter system near our prep sink but after our reno was done, I found I preferred to prep veggies at our peninsula, near the main sink. The hole would have been in the wrong place!

We accumulate a small amount of compost at the small sink and we use old ice cream containers to collect it. We can also grab one of these containers to use in a different spot in the kitchen or at the table for transporting scraps. Dh recently made this pull out for our small sink.

• a2gemini
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Home4all thanks!
    Oldbat. Thanks for the pictures! Very tempting but a big hole! Would definitely fit but not 100% sure in right place!
    Stay turned!

• a2gemini
    Original Author
    12 years ago

After considering options - I decided to hold for now on doing this. I do some minimal composting but difficult with our small lot, so decided against putting a big hole in the cabinet. I will try an UC system and downstream..... TBD
    Thanks GW and especially old bat for posting the wonderful pictures!
    T-3 days to counter install (and hopefully sink!!)

• BalTra
    12 years ago

I wish I had a photo of it, but my parents used the drawer above their recycling for compost.
    Their kitchen is an (extensive) IKEA hack - - looks like beautiful modern furniture.
    They used a shallow stainless steel commercial kitchen inset pan - the largest that would fit in the drawer. Ditched the lid after awhile because they found it made compost smell quicker.
    Very neat, clean, easy to use!