Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luclin999

Barkeeper's Friend and Black Galaxy do NOT mix!

luclin999
15 years ago

Well I just had a rude surprise with my new granite.

I was polishing one of my stainless pans with barkeepers friend and some of the cleaning slurry spilled onto my granite countertop next to the sink.

It only sat on the granite for a few minutes but when I wiped it off I discovered that it looks like the barkeepers friend and water solution managed to bleach the spots where it sat a slightly lighter color than the rest of the slab.

This surprised me because I tested the stone during the remodel with:

Lemon juice

Vinegar (several types)

Acetone

MEK (Methyl Ethyl Ketone)

Ammonia

bleach

And none of those managed to cause any reaction in the remnant piece (cut before my eyes from the slab as it was being installed) that I tested them on.

Yet something in the Barkeepers friend managed to essentially give my stone a chemical burn that I can't seem to undo.

I called the granite fabricator and they will send someone out to look at it and see if they can do anything about it.

Needless to say, the barkeeper's friend has been exiled permanently from my kitchen.

Comments (14)

• datura-07
    15 years ago

Sorry. That is so upsetting. Please keep us posted as to what they say. I use barkeepers friend all the time.

• jb1176
    15 years ago

I bet it can be polished right out by a professional!

• mitchdesj
    15 years ago

that's a good warning, it's so easy to splash while using BK's friend, I use that on my all clad from time to time.

• weissman
    15 years ago

Are you sure your granite isn't "dyed" black? Was the sample you tested from your actual slab? Could they have bait and switched on you?

• luclin999
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The sample I tested on was cut off of the slab as it was being installed in my house. It came from the sink but out so I know that it is from the exact same slab.

I tested it with all of the chemicals listed above by pouring a 2"-3" spot of liquid onto the granite and then letting it sit for about 10 minutes. After that I would wipe up the liquid with a clean white cloth and buff the stone with the wet cloth as hard as I could.

Nothing ever came off onto the cloth and the stone went back to looking perfect after a wipe with a little granite cleaner.

If the stone had been doctored, the Acetone or MKE should have had some effect on it.

• luclin999
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sink -cut-out..

I really wish that you could edit your posts..

:)

• bill_vincent
    15 years ago

Barkeeper's Friend (funny-- I just heard of this stuff this afternoon while discussing how to take metal marks off tile over at John BRidge's forum) is oxalic acid, and will most certainly etch just about any kind of stone it gets on.

While granite is not NEARLY as susceptible to acids as marble or limestones, that doesn't mean it's impervious. You need to take great care what cleaning products you use around it.

That said, as someone above pointed out, it CAN be polished out on site.

• stonegirl
    15 years ago

Was your stone sealed by any chance? Black Galaxy is inert and really should not be etched at all.

I am guessing it is a reaction that took place between sealer residue on the surface of the stone and the oxalic acid in the BKF.

Black Galaxy is a stone that never needs sealing anyway, but a lot of people still do, ascribing to the motto "Seal it, it can not hurt anything". I beg to differ.

Anyway - back to point: Find out if your stone was sealed or not. My bet is that it was and the removal of the sealer would remedy your situation.

• Babka NorCal 9b
    15 years ago

If you have a Kohler brushed nickel sink strainer, Barkeepers friend will remove that finish and expose the brass underneath. It doesn't hurt chrome.

-Babka

• raehelen
    15 years ago

Yikes,

good reminder.

I use BKF exclusively in my kitchen. No other cleaner. I was very very careful at first to ensure none of that 'slurry' spilt onto the granite. I think I may have relaxed a bit now that it's onto my second year. Time to smarten up again.

Sorry for your experience- but I really appreciate your sharing!

• luclin999
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Was your stone sealed by any chance? Black Galaxy is inert and really should not be etched at all.

I am guessing it is a reaction that took place between sealer residue on the surface of the stone and the oxalic acid in the BKF.

Black Galaxy is a stone that never needs sealing anyway, but a lot of people still do, ascribing to the motto "Seal it, it can not hurt anything". I beg to differ.

Anyway - back to point: Find out if your stone was sealed or not. My bet is that it was and the removal of the sealer would remedy your situation.

Well, it hasn't been sealed since it was installed and I would think that if they had sealed the slab before bringing it out that the Acetone I used on the remnant would have noticeably removed it from that part of the stone it had been tested on.

So I am going to have to believe that there is no sealer in place on the stone.

I hope that they find a way to fix it because even though it is a slight blemish (my wife hasn't even noticed it yet) it will bug me forever if it can't be removed.

However, if they do have to polish it out won't that leave a "shallow" spot in the counter where the extra material was buffed down?

• stonegirl
    15 years ago

A lot of shops will seal the tops at the workshop before installation. It can not hurt to ask them.

Black Galaxy is very hard to "doctor" and there are not very many slabs out there that are. It is highly unlikely that you have one.

• luclin999
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well, I talked to the fabricator and they claim that the slab was not sealed before it was installed.

I am still trying to nail down an appointment with them to come out and look at the problem and see if there is something that they can do.

• mpwdmom
    15 years ago

Please let us know when you get them to look at it. I have a friend with BG, who has 6 kids and they are always in a hurry and very unparticular about what they put on it - spilling juice, using markers and leaving stray marks for half a day or such, and so far her granite is beautiful (3 years).

Good luck to you!