Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Here is a tip for bifold cabinet doors

Posted by KentWhitten (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 3, 13 at 17:49

I have seen this way too much. It is something that no one hardly ever thinks about and gets missed just about every time.

Lazy susan corner cabinet. Double door, hinges between the two. Most know these as bifold doors.

When the door knob or handle goes on, recess the head of the screw on the back side of the handle or knob.

The reason is that just about everyone, including myself, is lazy. The door will eventually be closed in a way that hits the adjacent door (if there is one) or appliance, leaving an oh so beautiful scratch or gouge right across the face. This will also happen to the face frame if the little rubber bumper drops off.

Which reminds me, don't buy the rubber bumpers at Home Depot. They fall off.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Here is a tip for bifold cabinet doors

Thanks for the tip, Kent! I know exactly what you're talking about - I noticed it at the Big Box display. Even if I am extra-special careful, I live with Hubby and 2 teenaged sons.

I'm putting two of these in my new kitchen - I'll wait to see if my cabinet maker does this on his own first, and if not, I'll suggest it.

o

Me too! I will have to do that!

o

"When the door knob or handle goes on, recess the head of the screw on the back side of the handle or knob."

Granted, it's been a long day and juggling lots of kitchen choices now so my head is spinning. So here, the bifold door edge would be between the knob and the recessed screw, with the recessed screw being placed on the inner door side, through the back of the door, into the knob? What keeps the knob from turning as they sometimes do? Thanks.

o

You only have to recess the screw head so it's flush with the inside of the door. You can still put a screwdriver to it to tighten it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here