Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
neitsdelf

Another Pretty Recycled Material

neitsdelf
10 years ago

DW saw and loved (me too) a new recycled composite material that looks a lot like slate. It's called "Slate-ish" (here's the company's website). The stuff comes in various shaped tiles, but they told me on the phone that larger sizes could also be available on special order. Here's a picture of the strips product that I'm liking for the side of our island (but perhaps in their "bark" color):

Ahh, but then we noticed the link on their site to their sister company which makes similar products that we may like even better (for a countertop though). It's called Iris Industries and we especially love their "Billium" (it's made out of recycled money!):

And they also products made out of recycled blue jeans, magazines, and other stuff.

All this stuff is much like Richlite or Paperstone, but less bland. (And unlike Paperstone, they'll sell direct to me since I want to do it myself--I love the Paperstone product but since I live in Michigan Paperstone wanted me to go through a dealer, and the only one of their dealers that returned my call seemed extremely uninterested!)

Andy.

This post was edited by neitsdelf on Wed, Apr 30, 14 at 17:51

Comments (6)

• Iowacommute
    10 years ago

The slate-ish is very cool and a good alternative to split faced stone which we used in our last house.

I am very intrigued by the DIYness of the counter which is why I would go with laminate, soapstone, or butcherblock. I'll have to look at their site to read about the product, but do you think it could be easily imaged? I sorry about scorching the most on a material like this. Of course I use hot pads and trivets, but I don't want to have to worry about someone putting something down or something hot slipping out of my hand and then having to get a new countertop.

• neitsdelf
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I want to do it DIY also. You should be able to use woodworking tools to fabricate it. And it's pretty cool too--did you see the Denimite and Magazite on the Iris website?

As for heat resistance, I would assume that it will perform similarly to Richlite and Paperstone. My samples are on order so I will compare those to the Paperstone samples I already have. I'm pretty sure I'll be using soapstone on my perimeter (and next to the range), so heat resistance is less of an issue for me.

I'm liking this product as a possible complementary countertop material on my island (and, the Slate-ish strips could possibly be a unifying material on the sides of the island.

Andy.

• Iowacommute
    10 years ago

DH has cut and finished the edges of a quartz slab, and he is a woodworker (in his spare time anyway) so we should be able to handle this.

I did see the other 'styles.' The Magazite reminds me of a painting that hung in the hallway of my elementary school. I remember staring at it every time I walked past, but it bothered me there was too much going on. I'm more of a solid color kind of gal.

I also love metal and may go with stainless. I am happy though there are more options on the market because I think stone alternative countertops are pretty cool. The website said they get some of their materials from farmers, and my FIL will get a kick out of that since he's twiddling his thumbs waiting for the ground to dry out. A man can only play so much golf.

• fouramblues
    10 years ago

Very cool products, neitsdelf! But FYI you can order PaperStone online. I got mine from greencountertopsdirect.com. We did have some hassles with them sending the wrong size and having to exchange it, but they did give us a good price break in the end, so I'd order from them again.

Edited to say: I see now why you mentioned that you're in Michigan - they don't sell PaperStone online there!

This post was edited by fouramblues on Thu, May 1, 14 at 9:27

• Fori
    10 years ago

Neat!

What have I become if the first thing that comes to mind with a countertop made of recycled money is GERMS! :P

• neitsdelf
    Original Author
    10 years ago

A money grubber?

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH