Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beekeeperswife_gw

14 Hours and 15 minutes to go...

beekeeperswife
11 years ago

....until Dutchwood shows up with my cabinets at the new house.

I can hardly wait. I feel like I am 5 years old and tomorrow is Christmas morning. In fact, I'm tempted to go to bed early so the morning comes faster.

I really am 5 again.

Bee

Comments (104)

• cottonpenny
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Love it! The cabinets have beautiful lines! Just enough detail but not fussy. Can't wait to see all those glass uppers go in!

What paint color is the island?

What hardware did you use?

• eriepatch
    11 years ago

Never thought I could love another kitchen except your other one.....but.....so far this one is amazing. I love the color on the island and can't wait to see the granite (or is it quartzite)installed. You certainly have an eye for design.

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

Awesome! Love the colors and I must find out how to obtain that pull out towel holder!!
    Bee - was that custom?

• caminnc
    11 years ago

Bee, it's just gorgeous!!! Your new home is amazing. Love everything about it. I'm sooo jealous.

• 1929Spanish
    11 years ago

Very exciting, very pretty and I'm very impressed with your timeline. We're at about the same stage - you with your house and me with a 240 sq ft addition! : )

• flwrs_n_co
    11 years ago

Beeee-u-ti-ful!!! Love the style of cabs you chose and the colors are wonderful. Love that you used the darker color in the butler pantry. That DR ceiling is also beee-u-ti-ful! Can't wait to see more! Get some rest before Monday (I get to go to jury duty). I'll be thinking of how I might "borrow" (oh okay, that should be steal) some of your kitchen into our reno as I await my turn. ;)

• lindsay221
    11 years ago

Bee, your house is going to be gorgeous! You have such great style! Can you please share how high your ceilings are in the "sitting room".

• mamadadapaige
    11 years ago

Oh my Bee! they are gorgeous!! How exciting for you to be this far along. What a journey! It's all looking so good.

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hey gang! You are all so sweet. I'm typing on my phone, so this is a brief update, I'll answer questions later. I am at the house now, on Saturday...they came back today! Gorgeous uppers going in! You all were right-the glass ends are the way to go!

I've told the cabinetmaker to go with that dark gray from butlers pantry on our closet cabinetry, he said we are not too late with that decision. Yay.

Quick answer, ceilings are 9', wall color is gray owl, the island is called "London fog" can't remember the company name..it's the spray lacquer. The perimeter is the lightest gray on that strip. To the non-GW eye it appears white, lol.

Will post photos and answer questions later!

Bee

• Mom23Es
    11 years ago

Beautiful!!! Your floors are looking great too, even through all the dust. :)

• deedles
    11 years ago

Wow, Saturday installation? Amazing. Just watching this progress and how quickly all those cabs went in and then inserting myself in there with RTA cabs.... hmmm. Maybe the extra $$ is worth it after all....

Love the darker grey... really nice touch.

• laxsupermom
    11 years ago

I meant beagles, not breezy. Both beautiful kitchens, but it's beagles who has the other Dutchwood kitchen. That's what I get for commenting before the coffee kicked in. ;-)

• Lyban zone 4
    11 years ago

Bee,

Your cabinets are gorgeous. I love all the drawers. The sun room and DR are also great.
    OK, what's the secret. How did you get the wainscotting put up before the house is even finished in the DR or did your hubby do that.
    Love that darker gray and for your closet with the marble it wil be wonderful.
    You have talent.

• poohpup
    11 years ago

Talk about an instant transformation! Wow! Those cabinets are gorgeous. I bet you can't stop smiling. :)

• MichelleDT
    11 years ago

Bee-autiful! I can't believe you broke ground in Feb. Amazing! Can't wait to see it all finished.

• Ann Scheley
    11 years ago

Soooooo pretty!!!! Soooooo exciting!!!!!!!!

• dragonfly08
    11 years ago

Bee... Just seeing this now, and... SO BEAUTIFUL! I cannot wait for your countertops to be installed (I'm sure you can't, either!) because that super white will look stunning with the blue-gray.

Being countertop buddies, and seeing that I've put blue-gray in as a BS, I'm anxious to see what your BS will be!!

• gardenamy
    11 years ago

Holly mother that is absolutely beautiful! And uppers on Saturday! You better play the lottery tonight too! They are looking unbelievable. Can't wait to see those uppers!

• motherof3sons
    11 years ago

Bee - I am so happy for you! The cabinets are exactly what I expected. Congratulations.

• MIssyV
    11 years ago

Thanks for posting some pics for all of us to admire! Your marble is going to look SMASHING in that space! Good for you for stinking to your guns and getting the marble :-)

I love the blue/gray color with white and wood...so beautiful!

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ok, I'm back. Exhausted for some odd reason. We did do some vacuuming tonight to get some of the dust up. Of course I took the following photos before we cleaned up.

They are such good guys. They did protect the floors, lots of cardboard and moving blankets. I'll look back and answer questions tomorrow. Here are some more photos. Not the best lighting. They are by no means done but we are very far along. There were some oops moments...two glass doors didn't have glass put in them, they were empty. Couple shelves weren't finished on the sides for the cabinet with the glass ends. Then there was one big oops that I caught as they were getting ready to leave. I called them back in, pointed to one corner and said.....do you see something odd? Right away he got it....they installed the wrong doors! How we all missed it earlier was beyond us. He just left them and said he would have the right ones made and they would bring them back soon.

Ignore the odd board connecting the legs on the island. That board was too small, so the put this one in place for stone templating on Tuesday.

Here you go....

OOPS...

The butler's pantry, I had to stand on the stairs to get the photo due to the light. It looks like it's 3' tall.

Thanks for all the lovely comments. You are all too kind, really.

Bee

• jmcgowan
    11 years ago

Yippee!!! It's all coming together! Looking great, and hope you rest up tonight.

It's been fun following your posts and photos, keep them coming.

• gardenamy
    11 years ago

Keeps getting better and better...can't wait for more!

• jjdcl
    11 years ago

It's just beautiful! I love the colors you've chosen. Dutchwood...hmmm. I'll have to remember that name.

• caminnc
    11 years ago

Absolutely A-MAZ-ING!!!

Bee, what UCL are you going to use?

Can't wait to see more :)

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I've gone through all the comments and tried to answer all the questions. if I missed any, let me know.

a2gemini,clarygrace, sarapamela, and provolone--did you post pictures? I have to take a look. If not, post some!!

rocketmomkd--even if they can't be installed, it is fun to look at them!

beagles-they said hi back. On Saturday, Elmer couldn't make it but Kevin & Darryl were there.

So many people with new cabinets...I need to do some looking at posts and see if anybody posted photos.

garenamy-the counters will be scribed on Tuesday. My site supervisor told the granite people they will install them on the 9th....they laughed and said it is a big job and they will tell us when they will be ready!

finestra! I didn't know you were using them too! Aren't they good guys? Did you post picutes? I probably saw photos and even commented and can't remember! That's the state my mind is in! I need to double look.

oldbat2be--so very nice, but I think you have a very good handle on things.

shelayne--funny!

fouramblues,snbtwins,baltra, briandarnell, ilene84, susied3, Thanks!

AnnaA, it's a lot of luck! I wish it was actually a "plan" to get the color to work.

badgergal--hard to imagine another kitchen like the last one--that one just developed a life of its own.

positano-the wall color is Gray Owl, by Ben Moore. I used it throughout the entire home.

mamma_dukes-thanks, that is very nice. Don't do it for a living. Have been encouraged to consider it though....wouldn't that be a dream come true.

springroz--yes the builder is extremely fast. Too fast actually. I feel so pressured to make quick decsions. I am one to sit and stare at something and then have an "aha" mooment. There is no time for staring.

door1, thanks. we are happy with the way it is all tying together.

Casey--oh, the floors were well protected, that photo was taken after the stuff was picked up.

owataqt-thanks for the nice words. The last house was painted with Valspar colors. The darkest color in the photos is Italian Leather. The lighter wall color was Coastal Villa. The cabinets were Cloud White (BM). MY new kitchen is different colors. This is a new construction, we relocated and had to leave the last house and kitchen behind. I loved everything about the last kitchen.

ayerg73-yes, I agree--I love the hardware with the gray too. We used polished nickel and it just shines.

hermajesty--hard to believe I'm leaving the BA behind isn't it? I think I like the SW as much as the BA. Lots of drawers in this kitchen. Even lots of false drawers too!

cottonpenny--the paint color is London Fog, they use a catalyzed lacquer. I think the company is ML Campbell. I have no idea what color the perimeter is...it's the lightest one on the same paint chip as the London Fog. The hardware is by Amerock it is Highland Ridge in Polished Nickel.

eriepatch--that's very nice. I never thought I could love another kitchen either. This one is growing on me. But you know, there is something special about a DIY kitchen that you are proud of. This is surely NOT a DIY this time.

a2gemini--the towel holder. There was a whole thread about this. It got pretty comical. I just described to him what I wanted and bam, he made it for me.

caminnc--thanks for the kind words.

1929Spanish--YOU are impressed? I'm shocked.

flwrs n co--Jury duty--have fun. :o

lindsay221--the sitting room is 9' ceilings in the inside of the coffer. (I measured because I wanted to see if the lower part was 9' or the upper part)

mamadapaige--Thanks!

Mom23Es--so much dust! I did vacuum last nigh, They are looking much better. I know that it won't last long.

deedles--yes! A Saturday installation! Imagine my surprise when the phone rang and they said they would be there in 15 minutes! Talk about a wake up call.

lyban--no secrets here. The builder did the trim.

poohpup--my cheeks hurt from smiling!

MichelleDT--this is what 80 degree weather in March brings you!

Thanks annsch.

dragonfly08--I can't wait to get to the backsplsash decision. I'm glad we are doing it after we are in the house. There is no way I could take the pressure to make that decision any time soon.

motherof3sons--thanks!

IssyV--I only did marble on the butler's pantry. We are doing Super WHite quartzite in the kitchen. That will be my next big thrill--when I see that go in!

jmcgowan-thanks, I hope everyone isn't too bored by posting so many pictures

jjdcl--where are you located? They do travel a bit. And they are really easy to deal with.

caminnc--under cabinet lights----hmmmm--we are for sure using the ones on the tape. Hafele and Starstrand are in the running. We are installing them ourselves later. The builder did the rough in for us.

• CEFreeman
    11 years ago

[sigh]

Someday....

I love the clean lines of your island legs. I have the same MW cabinet and love it. I love your gray; the darker in particular. I love your empty room with finished drywall. I love how much you love your cabinet guys. I love how you can do so much with your new home.

Just beautiful!

• hermajesty
    11 years ago

Holy guacamole Bee! Your kitchen is certainly in fast forward mode and looking marvelous. I'm totally "with you" on the fabulous super white selection! I still love my Bianco Antico, but when I envision my NEXT project super white is always involved hahahaha.

I like many others can't wait to find out what your backsplash selection will be!

• cottonpenny
    11 years ago

Ah, I thought those were Highland Ridge*. Sorry for asking so many detailed questions, but what size are the pulls on the 36 inch drawers? The 160mm (6 inch) or the appliance pull size?

*You know you're TKO when you start recognizing hardware...

• ILoveRed
    11 years ago

These are beautiful cabinets. I just googled this company. Not sure I found the right place. Is it an Amish company? Doing research for my next kitchen and I am going to ask a tacky question that I don't think has been asked yet. May ask the price range for this beautiful room full of cabinets?

Love the color too.

• clarygrace
    11 years ago

Bee, I will post some as soon as I can....my installation is going well and slowly...my GC is such a stickler craftsman...taking his time...but all will be installed by Wed. My Gaggenau double ovens are in and they look fabulous! I will post some pics tonight or tomorrow. You are looking so wonderful so far....!!!

• function_first
    11 years ago

You have impeccable taste, this kitchen -- the colors, the cabinets, the layout-- absolutely everything is stunning. What a talent you have, both your previous kitchen and this one showcase your remarkable skill. I'm very happy for you, and look forward to seeing the kitchen, and the rest of the house, progress.

Thanks for sharing your journey with us!

• sombreuil_mongrel
    11 years ago

Thanks for taking the time to answer all of these questions (including my inane one) at a time when you are probably burned out and in need of serious relaxation.
    The uppers are stunning and I'm very impressed.
    Casey (no need to reply!)

• Mom23Es
    11 years ago

I love it. It's beautiful! :)

I really love the glass cabinets flanking your window. How cool to have glass on the sides of the cabinets as well as on the front! Can I ask how you handled the upper corner cabinet on your back wall? (The corner one adjacent to the glass doored one next to your window.)

• lindsay221
    11 years ago

Thanks for answering my question, Bee. Everything looks so fabulous! Looking forward to more pics!

• finestra
    11 years ago

Beautiful! I love it. My cabinets are pale creamy blue. That must have been one colorful shop!

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    11 years ago

cottonpenny--I know they are not appliance pulls. Not sure of the size. I'll measure next time I'm out there.

red_lover-the family is Mennonite, I believe many of the craftsmen working there are indeed Amish. The priced varies as some of us GW'ers have found out. There are prices if you go through a builder vs going in on your own. But as some have learned even the higher price is still a great deal. I'll post a link to their brochure, not sure if you have seen it.

mom23Es--Since I was the victim of the smallest kitchen window on Earth (don't ask), I wanted to make sure to have glass on that wall. I"m pretty happy with the overall look of them. Since there was plenty of storage in this kitchen we decided to save a little cash and leave the corners dead space. They will put some sort of filler in the bottom. Funny thing--I couldn't remember how we ended up doing the corner until about 2 weeks ago when I saw the "Finally Final" drawing!

finestra--I saw your cabinets in the paint room when we went to visit 2 weeks ago. They only had the primer, but were so pretty.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dutchwood's pamphlet

• ILoveRed
    11 years ago

Very nice brochure. Did they come and measure your room or did you provide the measurements? Did you also provide the plan?

May I also ask if they only work within a certain geographic area.

Sorry, if these questions have been asked and answered.

Thanks.

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    11 years ago

hey red--not sure how far they go. But I know they have been to DC, up to NJ. If you have your plan, you can go in and go over it with Jason. He will get you a price quote. Then there is the hammering out of the details...emails, more visits, etc. Once you are ready, they do come out to measure.

There is also a designer you can have access to if you like. But honestly, you probably will be better off with the experts here. She tends to think inside the box. Not that that is a bad thing....but sometimes you want what you want. Jason's favorite saying of mine was "that shouldn't be a problem". I"d give them a call and see if he comes to your location. I know if the customer is far, they will add an extra person to the installation crew and try to work a long day and get it all done on the one day.

I had the plan when I went. But we tweaked it as we went along.

Bee

• finestra
    11 years ago

Jason told me that he doesn't like to travel more than 2 hours. We are 2 hrs and 6 min by mapquest, so I guess we were close enough.

I went with my own plan and ideas. I used their designer, and she was helpful in tracking down corbels and the like. She was very deferential to my likes. And my kitchen is very much to my personal taste.

I got a lot of my ideas from here.

• owataqt
    11 years ago

Wowzer..replying to everyone by their names..you are truly special and deserve a beautiful new dreamy kitchen. So looking forward to seeing it all unveil.

How exciting and can't wait to see all your other choices un the new and stunning kitchen. May just have to so your white cabinets from your old kitchen and your new blue for my island. Hehehe...yep you are going to be my designer ...
    Hugs and get some rest

• scrappy25
    11 years ago

Wow, Bee, these are drool worthy! I have been highly interested in Dutchwood since Beagles posted hers (she has been so helpful) even though they are a distance and this confirms it!

Can I ask, are those full overlay doors? I love that detail that mimics beaded inset, can you tell me what that is called? DO you know that approx upcharge for that style vs regular shaker?

thank you!

• ILoveRed
    11 years ago

Takes a lot of extra effort to reply to each person.

Thank you so much Bee.

Thank you too Finestra. I am definitely too far away for them. I will have to look up your kitchen too.

• kaysd
    11 years ago

Wow, I can't believe how quickly your kitchen is coming together. The cabinets are lovely. I especially love the bluish gray island and dark gray butler's pantry cabs. The glass end panels on the uppers around the window were a great idea, and I can't wait to see what they look like filled with pretty dishes. I love the counter in your butler's pantry -- was that one of the marble pieces you bought?

• Tamko3
    11 years ago

Beautiful Kitchen and adjoining rooms Bee. I know that you are quite busy. If you get a moment, can you please tell me what color white you painted your trim and ceiling? Thanks! Tami

• 2LittleFishies
    11 years ago

Bee,
    Can you show me your towel pullout now that it's in? Was it for paper towels or just cloth? The cabs look beautiful!
    Fishies

• finestra
    11 years ago

Dutchwood was here the other day and told me that they had just been at your place! Anything new?

• mmhmmgood
    11 years ago

Bee, it's coming together beautifully! But I would expect nothing less. Congrats!

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Going back to the title of this thread....

10 hours 50 minutes to go.....until Dutch Wood returns for the last time!

I'll take more pictures this weekend. It is looking great.

I'm sure there will be some sort of reason to have them back though!

2LittleFishies--I will snap a photo for you this weekend.

Bee

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

Wonderful - such a tough time for a remodel but you will really enjoy your kitchen!!