Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ao34_gw

Does anyone have a fun way to store wine?

ao34
11 years ago

Preferably something wall mounted. If so would you please post pictures?

Comments (20)

• Linda
    11 years ago

Store wine?? I'll be sure to let you know if I ever have any wine that is not consumed that needs to be stored!! ;-)

• rococogurl
    11 years ago

The funnest way I know to store wine is in my tummy. I do recycle or reuse the bottles.

I would definitely use one of those wall racks to store vinegars or olive oil. And I'm sure one of the blogs out there has found some very clever way to repurpose a wine rack. They do look great and designers love to use them as space fillers. But from a wine-storing perspective, kitchens are too warm and have too much vibration unless there's super fast turnover. If so, no problem. If not, there may be a great collection of white and red vinegar in the house.

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

I agree - we store our wine in the basement as the kitchen is too warm.
    If I want a bottle upstairs - I can store it on my Boos wine cart shelf - but so far, no wine bottles on the cart.
    I would not store my vinegar and oils on their sides once they are open. I can visualize a catastrophe.

• User
    11 years ago

Check out the Farmhouse Blog. Trina has a post about the repurposed antique shoe rack and a rack for cooling bread that she uses in her basement. Very very neat. Not sure about wall hanging rack...we never have any extra either !! c

• colin3
    11 years ago

Aside from avoiding heat, wine wants to be stored away from light. Visible wine storage says: I care more about how wine looks than how it tastes. Go for a cool cupboard or closet, (sometimes I stash a case or two in the crawl space) and let something else do the work of looking fun.

• rococogurl
    11 years ago

No leaky bottles of oil or vinegar if you reuse cognac bottles. Alternately, I use the vac pump and the reusable pump stoppers to seal the bottles. Works well.

• angie_diy
    11 years ago

Here is mine! (In the basement.)

• ruthie51
    11 years ago

We have a small Butler's pantry and put this up on the wall in there. It's actually an outdoor trellis that we embellished; the wine rack only holds eight bottles but as you can see, it's not even full. People get a kick out of it.

• eleena
    11 years ago

Angie,

Now I know how you were able to "tackle" that kitchen of yours! LOL

• ao34
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the info guys. The wall mounted wine would be in the dining room (my kitchen is so small I have no open wall space). However, if temperature contol is my concern perhaps the storage space in the parking garage would be my best bet.

• kiko_gw
    11 years ago

We have a small wine fridge in the pantry. We only drink red so it's OK for us that it only has one temp. Here it is on the floor with the pantry doors open:

From

Here is a link that might be useful: Pantry Pics

• angie_diy
    11 years ago

Eleena -- Yes indeed! I was given to consuming what I called Remodeler's Cocktails -- some Aleve washed down with a glass of red wine!

• User
    11 years ago

kiko..what are all the metal tins with labels on your pantry shelves ? Are they canisters or something you made over into storage. I just love them ! c

• kiko_gw
    11 years ago

thanks trailrunner, most of them (the rectangle bins) are translucent desktop file boxes I got at the Container Store a few years ago. They are standard file size, 12 inches deep x 7 inches wide x about 10 inches high. The chalkboard labels are from Staples by Martha Stewart for Avery.

• rococogurl
    11 years ago

Had my eye on those pantry containers, too, C! LOL. Thanks kiko for the info. Love that look.

• User
    11 years ago

ah..now I see they aren't metal !! Thankyou..they look great don't they rococo ! Smart idea . c

• ginny20
    11 years ago

We have racks in the cool basement, but we keep in the kitchen the dinner wine we expect to consume in the near future. Not fun, but handy. We needed something to fill in the extra space on the other side of the window, so our cab maker did this. Having the rack dividers straight instead of diagonal let us store more wine in the narrow space. I'm not sure why the pic is so small, but you get the idea, right?

• sandesurf
    11 years ago

Can't help but share my new rack! It could be mounted on the wall too. :)
    Got it at a Kirklands store.

• xand83
    11 years ago

We have 2 storage areas. These little Ikea wine racks on the wall (the orange area). Inexpensive and extremely functional. Also, we keep most of the liquor and the rest of the wine in our U.S. Airways airline cart. Not wall-mounted though!

• glueblob
    11 years ago

This is before it was painted - but this is our wine storage wall.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio