Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hvhay

Seeking a discontinued sink (or something similar)

hvhay
10 years ago

I have just started thinking about what sink we should get for our upcoming kitchen remodel and would appreciate any advice. Here's the deal--I really liked the sink in our last home and I have been trying to find it or something like it for our new kitchen but it seems to have been discontinued and I am not finding anything like it. If I had only known I would have taken it with me! I only have this one bad picture of it, but it was a Kohler, presumably cast-iron, and it had one large bowl with a very small raised area at the rear right corner with a drain where the disposal was. We really liked having just one large bowl which fit our big pots and the like and appreciated having the disposal NOT in the main bowl of the sink. I have read a number of threads where people say that having a one bowl sink with a disposal isn't a problem, but we visit a home a lot that has a great big one bowl sink with a disposal in it and it bothers me--it seems like every time I'm doing dishes I lose a spoon or something else in there and I have to stick my hand in there to get it out and it gives me the heebie jeebies. Perhaps having the drain offset would help?

So, I guess my question is, can anyone point me towards a sink like this, or convince me that I could get used to having a one bowl sink with disposal?

From April 13, 2013

Comments (9)

• mrsmortarmixer
    10 years ago

Here are some new with a smaller side, although not the exact same...don't know what your budget is.

http://www.portlandvintageplumbing.com/products/kitchen-sinks/kitchen-farm-sink-35-double-bowl-four-holes-large-small-bowls/

http://www.nationalbuildersupply.com/p/kohler-k59245u0-kitchen-sink.html

This place has a ton of vintage cast iron sinks, but not sure if they will have what you're looking for.
    http://thisoldtubandsink.com/vintage-kitchen-sinks.html

• mrsmortarmixer
    10 years ago

Upon further research, this place has them...might want to make sure it's a legit company though. http://www.ffstock.com/home.html?page=shop.browse&category_id=418

Kohler Urbanite is the name of the sink

• hvhay
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Mrsmortamixer, you are amazing. I'm so glad to get to see the specs and am interested that it is only 25" x 22". In that case I will definitely look more closely at the Lakefield as a possible replacement. I was concerned that with a 70/30, the 70 side might not be as big as I would like, but it looks like the Urbanite wasn't as big as I was remembering anyway. Thanks so much for your help.

• julieste
    10 years ago

Well, I actually (after hours of searching online) managed to find probably the last-in-the-world, brand new model of a discontinued Kohler sink I wanted to replace. Mine too was a very unique design with a very small sink for the disposal because I too knew that I could not live with just one large bowl. (By, the way, try calling Kohler to see if they can help you to identify the model you used to have.)

I knew the name of the model I wanted and did find a couple (but not in the white I wanted) via a Google search. Finally, since I knew the dimensions, I tried searching that way. Unbelievably I got a hit on Craigslist, and I found a brand new sink still in the box halfway across the country. I took a leap of faith and sent the money, she took it to UPS for me, and it is now sitting waiting to be installed. So, you may even be able to find the exact same sink you had before if you are assiduous in your search.

• jjjoyful
    10 years ago

Did you ever find that sink you were looking for? It is indeed a Kohler Urbanite (which was made with either three holes or four holes predrilled). I just purchased this one from the local Habitat Re-Store. It's brand new, with paperwork, but missing the box. A local builder donated it to the store to help reduce his stash. It was never even installed anywhere and is in perfect brand-new condition. We still aren't certain we will use it in our project, but didn't want to pass up the great deal on such a very cute sink. If you aren't in a big hurry, how could I get in touch with you should we decide to sell it? I've never used this site before. I guess I could reach you through this site?

This post was edited by jjjoyful on Fri, Aug 23, 13 at 19:35

• hvhay
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks jjjoyful, I so appreciate your message! What I didn't realize when I was picturing the sink in my mind's eye is that it is somewhat smaller than your average sink, so we are going to be going with one that is 33" wide instead (Kohler Iron Tones to be exact). Maybe someone else who can use the sink will see your post!

• hvhay
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi jjjoyful, I can't message you via Gardenweb so I thought I would post a message in case I might reach you that way. I got a message from someone who is interested in the Kohler Urbanite sink you posted about. If you still have it and would be interested in connecting with this person, please message me and I can put you in touch!

• tjnieman
    7 years ago

I'm hoping someone out there has an AMERICAN STANDARD SILHOUETTE DUAL LEVEL KITCHEN SINK, 38" x 22"; drop-in; with 4 or 5 holes (bisque, ivory, beige); model # 7196.804 or 805. Mine damaged by a sub using a caustic liquid just prior to move-in which I didn't notice at first. Have been putting up with it for 9 years as porcelain continues to deteriorate (at this point the only way to get rid of stains is to bleach it which probably isn't good either). Do not want to rehab/replace custom cabinets and granite counters in 9-yr-old house to accommodate another size; do NOT want stainless steel; this sink discontinued by American Standard but I feel like there is one sitting out there in its box in a warehouse or garage looking for a goodhome!!! Thanks.