Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Granite overhang question - please help!

Posted by tiredgal (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 18, 09 at 17:39

Greetings all and I would love some advice on an issue. I had granite installed in my kitchen two days ago and was very pleased until this morning I noticed that the underside of the overhang on my peninsula is not finished - it is chalky raw rock with some netting still attached! I called the fabricators and got an answering machine. This cannot be correct, can it? And can it be fixed now that it has been installed? I never thought to look, I feel like an idiot. Thanks for any help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Granite overhang question - please help!

That's how my granite counters are. I could be wrong - never thought to look on the underside of anyone's overhang, but I think that's standard.

o

Why would they finish the underside? No one ever sees that part. When you install tile, the underside of the counter isn't tiled, when you install laminate, you can see the wood it's attached underneath. It would cost you a lot extra to have it finished and for what reason? I'm not sure I understand why you are concerned about that.

o

I think it is standard to finish the underside of overhangs. I asked my fabricator how ours will be and he said the overhangs will be polished to a honed finish. Not glossy but smooth to the touch for hands to touch it and knees to be under it. This was important to me and, as it happens, it is the standard way my fabricator finishes installs. I don't know if it's industry standard or different depending on the fabricator.

o

The first 2 1/2" of my granite overhang underside is finished, but after that it isn't. You really can't notice it unless you're practically lying on the floor and looking up at it.

o

It is not visible so it's not a visual thing, but just touching it leaves a pretty heavy film of chalky substance on my fingers, and I thought the netted covered surface would be a magnet for dust and airborne crud. I don't see how it could be wiped down, not that I am compulsive about cleaning the undersides of things. But the standard overhangs on all the other counters is polished on the underside so I am a little surprised that the deeper overhangs were left raw and chalky. I appreciate the responses and just wonder what the standard is.

o

All of my 14"overhang is polished to a honed finish.

o

My granite island 60 x 72 was installed with 12" overhang on three sides.
The underneath is not polished. I guess its chalky. My sink also has a reveal, I thought it would be flush. Nothing seems to be perfect, I'm learning to accept imperfections, mine and theirs!!

o

At our granite supplier my consultant advised me to request my fabricator to polish the underside of the overhang. She said that for some that is a standard practice, but not standard for all. If she hadn't told me that I'd never if thought about it on my own, but it seems like a nice touch.

o

The underside of my overhang is polished and smooth. I didn't request it, they just did it and I'm happy they did.

o

This is the difference between the "MEN and the BOYS".... In my opinion -
a guy that's concerned about quality will do little "extras" that make the
difference.

Finishing off the undersides of stone is an "extra touch" that I preach to
Fabricators on ALL THE TIME! It does NOT take a lot of extra work to hone
the undeside up to an 800 grit, or apply some penetrating epoxy and take the
finish up to even a 400 grit hone. This is NOT rocket science - and the Fabricators
that DO employ these little "extras" are the ones that will be heads and tails
above the guys that are just surviving on selling the "cheapest price" work...

Just my opinion as a Fabricator - but polishing the underside of the stone is'a step
that more guys should do - for quality's sake

just my .02 cents worth
kevin

o

I never even thought about it until one day I looked in the window to the kitchen from the outside. There are four steps to get into my home so when you look in the window you see the under side of my 14"overhang to my island. You even see the plywood we had to place down first on the island for strength It looks terrible from the outside. If I would of know, I would of asked to have them finish the underside.

o

OK, so let me correct my first posted response. I answered too quickly. My granite does have some polishing on the underside of the overhang. It's not shiny & glossy like the top and edges, but it is much smoother & cleaner than the underside of the original slab.

o

Thank you everyone for the input. I truly never thought about it until I ran my hand under the edge while admiring it all! It was not a cheapo job, I paid $80/sf for 85 sf and the installation was outstanding otherwise.

Fabricator Kevin, if you see this, can anything be done now that it is installed or should I let it go? There are certainly more pressing concerns in life but I am a granite neophyte and appreciate everyone's opinions.

o

I don't know anything about this subject, but it occurs to me that one could paint the underside, to make the ugly bits blend in a bit. LGiorgi, that's what I'd do if I were you.

o

I was happy with my granite install until I read this post. I feel like an Eve who has bitten the forbidden fruit of Gardenweb. I'm considering covering the underside of my overhang with fig leaves.

o

Hey Morton 5 , I can so relate, my husband calls me a nutcase, and would love to ground me from the internet.
My granite was all installed Friday, looks great from the top, all undersides are not glossy, even the cabinet edges.
I had trouble sleeping last night when I realized my granite had not met granite standards, this is our first experience with granite. We took the low bid, saved about $700.00 , I guess we got what we payed for huh?? And how do I know what the higher bid would have looked like, I failed to ask because I had no granite experience. Our granite looks nice, unless you peek underneath!! I'm over it, and hope to sleep better tonight. Hubby installed my faucet and soap dispenser today, didn't care for the placement of those holes either by the granite installer, but it's really my fault, I didn't know where I wanted them...Live and learn, this is our final home, I strive for perfection, I'm trying to accept the imperfecions. NOTHING we have done has been perfect, we try , we fail,and try again. My hubby went to the hospital this past week, thought he was having a heart attack...stress , anxiety, indigestion, a nagging wife, thankfully not a heart attack. What next?? Who knows?? He has five appliances to install and a never ending list of future projects. Thank God there is a future!! We are blessed.

o

Posted by azstoneconsulting (My Page) on Sun, Apr 19, 09 at 9:58

This is the difference between the "MEN and the BOYS".... In my opinion -
a guy that's concerned about quality will do little "extras" that make the
difference.
Finishing off the undersides of stone is an "extra touch" that I preach to
Fabricators on ALL THE TIME! It does NOT take a lot of extra work to hone
the undeside up to an 800 grit, or apply some penetrating epoxy and take the
finish up to even a 400 grit hone. This is NOT rocket science - and the Fabricators
that DO employ these little "extras" are the ones that will be heads and tails
above the guys that are just surviving on selling the "cheapest price" work...

Just my opinion as a Fabricator - but polishing the underside of the stone is'a step
that more guys should do - for quality's sake

just my .02 cents worth

Kevin,

Are you able to remove the epoxy mesh from those granites that have them, in order to polish the bottom?

Just wondering.

o

Addressing the "mesh" and / or the rough side of the stone - once it has
been installed is NOT a very nice proposition... it's a real PITA!!!!

These steps should be done when the stone is in the Fabrication shop
prior to install.

The mesh CAN be removed where the stone will be exposed - we do it
all the time - HOWEVER - we do this PRIOR to installation.

As far as remedies AFTER the stone has been installed -- the only thing that
people do that "helps" this issue - is they roll on some varnish to the underside
of the stone (DIY style) to help "seal" it and give it a little smoother finish...

Otherwise - there's not a whole lot that can be done once the stone is installed.
IF the stone can be removed and taken outside or back to the shop - you'll
have a much better chance of rectifying the situation.

This all boils down to communication and education BEFORE the sale.

I know that's prolly NOT what you wanted to hear, but it's the truth......

kevin

o

We just had granite counter tops installed in our kitchen and two bathrooms. My sons girlfriend was wearing a summer dress and discovered the rough mesh underside of the island overhang. It is rough and dirty and left a rash on her legs. I'm not impressed. I also discovered a dull area near the corner of the cutout for the bathroom sink. The installers were a day late which meant they installed on a Saturday and I ended up doing the plumbing so we had a functional kitchen and bathrooms. The installer left a big mess in the cupboards. They used Pl to bond the counter tops and island. No suggestion was made to to first attach a plywood base or supports for the overhang. I can't imagine they could remove the slab to polish it without damaging the cupboard base. I haven't paid for the remainder of the job so I have some power for negotiation. Worse case scenario maybe I could tile or apply some surface to the underside, just shy of the polished lip.

o

Our granite overhang is not polished and I was never bothered by it. Made sense to me, since its not seen.

o

I've said it before, and I'll say it again now: This is why I read this board. It opens my eyes to details that I never would've considered on my own.

Now I'm off to add to my ever-growing note file: Request that underside of granite overhanging island be finished, not left rough.

Thanks.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here