Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tiredgal

Granite overhang question - please help!

tiredgal
15 years ago

Greetings all and I would love some advice on an issue. I had granite installed in my kitchen two days ago and was very pleased until this morning I noticed that the underside of the overhang on my peninsula is not finished - it is chalky raw rock with some netting still attached! I called the fabricators and got an answering machine. This cannot be correct, can it? And can it be fixed now that it has been installed? I never thought to look, I feel like an idiot. Thanks for any help.

Comments (51)

• User
    15 years ago

Why would they finish the underside? No one ever sees that part. When you install tile, the underside of the counter isn't tiled, when you install laminate, you can see the wood it's attached underneath. It would cost you a lot extra to have it finished and for what reason? I'm not sure I understand why you are concerned about that.

• faleash
    15 years ago

I think it is standard to finish the underside of overhangs. I asked my fabricator how ours will be and he said the overhangs will be polished to a honed finish. Not glossy but smooth to the touch for hands to touch it and knees to be under it. This was important to me and, as it happens, it is the standard way my fabricator finishes installs. I don't know if it's industry standard or different depending on the fabricator.

• chefkev
    15 years ago

The first 2 1/2" of my granite overhang underside is finished, but after that it isn't. You really can't notice it unless you're practically lying on the floor and looking up at it.

• tiredgal
    Original Author
    15 years ago

It is not visible so it's not a visual thing, but just touching it leaves a pretty heavy film of chalky substance on my fingers, and I thought the netted covered surface would be a magnet for dust and airborne crud. I don't see how it could be wiped down, not that I am compulsive about cleaning the undersides of things. But the standard overhangs on all the other counters is polished on the underside so I am a little surprised that the deeper overhangs were left raw and chalky. I appreciate the responses and just wonder what the standard is.

• jwins
    15 years ago

All of my 14"overhang is polished to a honed finish.

• sewwhatsnew
    15 years ago

My granite island 60 x 72 was installed with 12" overhang on three sides.
    The underneath is not polished. I guess its chalky. My sink also has a reveal, I thought it would be flush. Nothing seems to be perfect, I'm learning to accept imperfections, mine and theirs!!

• haileysuper
    15 years ago

At our granite supplier my consultant advised me to request my fabricator to polish the underside of the overhang. She said that for some that is a standard practice, but not standard for all. If she hadn't told me that I'd never if thought about it on my own, but it seems like a nice touch.

• positano
    15 years ago

The underside of my overhang is polished and smooth. I didn't request it, they just did it and I'm happy they did.

• Linda Giorgi
    15 years ago

I never even thought about it until one day I looked in the window to the kitchen from the outside. There are four steps to get into my home so when you look in the window you see the under side of my 14"overhang to my island. You even see the plywood we had to place down first on the island for strength It looks terrible from the outside. If I would of know, I would of asked to have them finish the underside.

• grannysmith18
    15 years ago

OK, so let me correct my first posted response. I answered too quickly. My granite does have some polishing on the underside of the overhang. It's not shiny & glossy like the top and edges, but it is much smoother & cleaner than the underside of the original slab.

• tiredgal
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you everyone for the input. I truly never thought about it until I ran my hand under the edge while admiring it all! It was not a cheapo job, I paid $80/sf for 85 sf and the installation was outstanding otherwise.

Fabricator Kevin, if you see this, can anything be done now that it is installed or should I let it go? There are certainly more pressing concerns in life but I am a granite neophyte and appreciate everyone's opinions.

• debsan
    15 years ago

I don't know anything about this subject, but it occurs to me that one could paint the underside, to make the ugly bits blend in a bit. LGiorgi, that's what I'd do if I were you.

• morton5
    15 years ago

I was happy with my granite install until I read this post. I feel like an Eve who has bitten the forbidden fruit of Gardenweb. I'm considering covering the underside of my overhang with fig leaves.

• sewwhatsnew
    15 years ago

Hey Morton 5 , I can so relate, my husband calls me a nutcase, and would love to ground me from the internet.
    My granite was all installed Friday, looks great from the top, all undersides are not glossy, even the cabinet edges.
    I had trouble sleeping last night when I realized my granite had not met granite standards, this is our first experience with granite. We took the low bid, saved about $700.00 , I guess we got what we payed for huh?? And how do I know what the higher bid would have looked like, I failed to ask because I had no granite experience. Our granite looks nice, unless you peek underneath!! I'm over it, and hope to sleep better tonight. Hubby installed my faucet and soap dispenser today, didn't care for the placement of those holes either by the granite installer, but it's really my fault, I didn't know where I wanted them...Live and learn, this is our final home, I strive for perfection, I'm trying to accept the imperfecions. NOTHING we have done has been perfect, we try , we fail,and try again. My hubby went to the hospital this past week, thought he was having a heart attack...stress , anxiety, indigestion, a nagging wife, thankfully not a heart attack. What next?? Who knows?? He has five appliances to install and a never ending list of future projects. Thank God there is a future!! We are blessed.

• rollie
    15 years ago

Posted by azstoneconsulting (My Page) on Sun, Apr 19, 09 at 9:58

This is the difference between the "MEN and the BOYS".... In my opinion -
    a guy that's concerned about quality will do little "extras" that make the
    difference.
    Finishing off the undersides of stone is an "extra touch" that I preach to
    Fabricators on ALL THE TIME! It does NOT take a lot of extra work to hone
    the undeside up to an 800 grit, or apply some penetrating epoxy and take the
    finish up to even a 400 grit hone. This is NOT rocket science - and the Fabricators
    that DO employ these little "extras" are the ones that will be heads and tails
    above the guys that are just surviving on selling the "cheapest price" work...

Just my opinion as a Fabricator - but polishing the underside of the stone is'a step
    that more guys should do - for quality's sake

just my .02 cents worth

Kevin,

Are you able to remove the epoxy mesh from those granites that have them, in order to polish the bottom?

Just wondering.

• azstoneconsulting
    14 years ago

Addressing the "mesh" and / or the rough side of the stone - once it has
    been installed is NOT a very nice proposition... it's a real PITA!!!!

These steps should be done when the stone is in the Fabrication shop
    prior to install.

The mesh CAN be removed where the stone will be exposed - we do it
    all the time - HOWEVER - we do this PRIOR to installation.

As far as remedies AFTER the stone has been installed -- the only thing that
    people do that "helps" this issue - is they roll on some varnish to the underside
    of the stone (DIY style) to help "seal" it and give it a little smoother finish...

Otherwise - there's not a whole lot that can be done once the stone is installed.
    IF the stone can be removed and taken outside or back to the shop - you'll
    have a much better chance of rectifying the situation.

This all boils down to communication and education BEFORE the sale.

I know that's prolly NOT what you wanted to hear, but it's the truth......

kevin

• dougles
    10 years ago

We just had granite counter tops installed in our kitchen and two bathrooms. My sons girlfriend was wearing a summer dress and discovered the rough mesh underside of the island overhang. It is rough and dirty and left a rash on her legs. I'm not impressed. I also discovered a dull area near the corner of the cutout for the bathroom sink. The installers were a day late which meant they installed on a Saturday and I ended up doing the plumbing so we had a functional kitchen and bathrooms. The installer left a big mess in the cupboards. They used Pl to bond the counter tops and island. No suggestion was made to to first attach a plywood base or supports for the overhang. I can't imagine they could remove the slab to polish it without damaging the cupboard base. I haven't paid for the remainder of the job so I have some power for negotiation. Worse case scenario maybe I could tile or apply some surface to the underside, just shy of the polished lip.

• amandapadgett
    10 years ago

Our granite overhang is not polished and I was never bothered by it. Made sense to me, since its not seen.

• mrspete
    10 years ago

I've said it before, and I'll say it again now: This is why I read this board. It opens my eyes to details that I never would've considered on my own.

Now I'm off to add to my ever-growing note file: Request that underside of granite overhanging island be finished, not left rough.

Thanks.

• joseegentile
    9 years ago

It should be standard procedure to polish at least 1 in of the underside of granite. It shouldn't feel horrible just because you can't see it. If your going to do a job, do it well! I love Kevin 's comment!

Josee

• rebeccamomof123
    9 years ago

Mine is unfinished on its underside. I feel so used.

• javiwa
    9 years ago

From the Marble Institute of America's Homeowner's Guide to Natural Stone Countertop Installation - Quality Fabrication Methods: "Finishing Edge Profiles....Edges are finished to the same type and quality of surface as the top, unless a contrasting edge surface has been specified for accent purposes." Jus saying...

• niknollog
    8 years ago

I know I'm very late to this thread, but I just had my counters installed yesterday. They used very rough plywood under my stone so I can't see the underside of the granite; instead I see the plywood. Since I have a split level house that means when I am downstairs, I look right at the bottom of the plywood. We may try to cover it with a panel of very thin wood (1/8"?) that the cabinet installers used. The very edge of the panel will be visible, but I think we can just touch it up with a stain pen. It is annoying and disappointing. As my son would tell me, "First world problems, Mom."

• rebeccamomof123
    8 years ago

Really? Rough plywood under your granite? Were there support issues? That's one I've never heard before but I'm not a pro. Did the fabricator give you a reason for this? Do you sit at the counter anywhere, where the plywood is? If so - ouch - scrapes and splinters!

• sjhockeyfan325
    8 years ago

Plywood under granite counters is really not that unusual, especially if you're on the West Coast where typically granite is 2 cm thick, not 3 cm, and laid on top of plywood and then an edge is laminted on to cover the front of the granite and the plywood. I'd hate to be looking at it from below though.

• leigh88
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Our contractors lay plywood under our granite countertops. We have an eased edge that is 1 5\8" (4 cm) thick to showcase the White Princess granite and to keep the design clean. the granite sits on the wood and the bottom underneath edge of the granite just about matches the level of where the plywood is. We have a 12" overhang on the side that serves as an eat-in counter area (on the peninsula) and the plywood, which we painted white to match the box and cabinet, covers all but 1.5" of the area underneath the granite. The 1.5" of the granite underneath is finished to a polish. No one would ever really see the underneath part where the plywood is unless they were lying on the floor. Even if someone were to peak underneath, we feel it's just fine and we are pretty picky about finishes. :)

• _sophiewheeler
    8 years ago

Plywood is not adequate support for granite. It's merely there to serve as the build up for the laminated edge. Plywood flexes. Granite does not. If you don't have additional support like corbels or steel, you have a recipe for broken granite. And maybe a broken foot.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    8 years ago

niknollog:

You don't say how far your top is cantilevered; please do. My concern is that your plywood is "very rough" which indicates a cheap grade. Cabinet grade plywood is smooth and has more ply layers, making it stronger and more rigid than roof underlayment.

• niknollog
    8 years ago

It is a 36" piece so it hangs over 2" on one side and 10" on the other side of the base cabinets.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    8 years ago

That's not approved by the MIA (page 3).

• PRO
    CELESTIAL STONE DESIGNS
    8 years ago
    I am a Granite Fabricator, what you describe on the underside of your granite is normal, an should not be cleaned or removed. The more exotic the granite the more fragile it is due to more quart,fissures, and voids in it. Therefore at the mill a fiberglass mesh is applied to the backside of granite slab. The mesh is not for stability, it is to keep the granite from crumbling , in case of breakage and making repair possible.
  • reguls
    8 years ago

My granite countertop extends beyond the island for 28 3/8", is 39" wide table and has a granite waterfall side 31" high. The backside of the granite "waterfall" is covered with the white mesh which I'd like to cover with a 1/4" thick white board to match the cupboards. Any ideas where to find it? All boards seem to be 3/4" thick and would stick out beyond the 1/2" depth of the inside granite edge.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    8 years ago

I'd use FRP.

• reguls
    8 years ago

Just watched a video of the FRP being applied to a large board with adhesive. Didn't see it applied directly to the backside of granite. Would still need to find 1/4" thick board.

Contractor tried attaching white formica with adhesive to the back of the granite. It won't stick - it pops right off despite being clamped on to dry for days.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    8 years ago

" Would still need to find 1/4" thick board."

Why?

• Denise Heitmann
    8 years ago

I was disgusted to find the dusty mesh under my counter after installation. Open cabinets. What a mess! I had to clean.

I was disgusted!

was considering having my husband seal it. Any thoughts??

• Adam
    8 years ago

Why disgusted? It's just stone, no?

• Denise Heitmann
    8 years ago
    I would've thought they'd clean it 1st.
  • Denise Heitmann
    8 years ago
    This is what was underneath.
  • cmw829
    8 years ago

Interesting thread. I'm wanting to use 3 cm in my new kitchen to avoid the plywood underneath on the counter height overhang (which I will never see unless I lay on the floor - but I will KNOW it's there and don't want to touch it when I wrap my hand around the edge).

In our old house, we had a cantilevered table in 3 cm - with a large support leg. It was beautiful. We used a radius edge (waterfall) and the underside was totally unfinished (no mesh though), that is, no part of the underside was polished. Over time, I noticed was that the underside where my son sat at the table was greasy from the little piggy's greasy fingers wrapping around the granite to pull his chair closer to the table (a practice he continued from age 9 to 21). I was never able to get the greasy spots ungreasy.

Polishing on the underside is a great idea.

• Kelly N Steve Lee
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Really wish I had thought of this or known before my install. I know most won't see, but I wish they had finished the overhang.

• HU-925557422
    5 years ago

I have my granite from Alma granite in Milford Ohio on Wooster Pike install my granite. I am very dissatisfied they did not let me pick my slab then when I did not like the slab they did not do anything to satisfy me. It's a very low quality piece of granite and they also did nothing to the underside of the granite it is chalky and it has the netting all the way to the end. Very unprofessional I would not recommend them to anyone.

• Janet Jenkins
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

This thread is awesome, I just sent an email to my granite guy, wouldn't have ever thought of this on my own! My granite guy is charging me a tad bit more to polish the underside of the overhang, but I think it's totally worth it in the long run. ($100.00 more)

• Holly Estell
    4 years ago

collects

• Courtney Boyd
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

So the underside of the granite being unpolished doesn’t bother me. Ours still has the mesh on there, possibly because it’s an exotic granite and more fragile. What is bothering me is the fiberglass getting all over my clothes every time I’m beside or sitting at the counter. What can I do about this? Please help.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    3 years ago

Coat it with some polyurethane?

• Denise Heitmann
    3 years ago

I spent time cleaning the underside, so the dust wouldn’t get in and on the items in the drawers. I can understand it not finished, but could not understand why it wasn’t cleaned. I should have invested in cabinets with tops, then the dust wouldn’t have been an issue.

• HU-869431433
    3 years ago

Can someone suggest what is a good varnish or apoxy to brush or roll on underside of granite hangover where mesh and chalk is to make smoother. We have overhang on two sides that is visible when sitting in greatrroom because of height of overhangs. Looking for a clear thick product to roll on to make it feel smooth and look nice. Any recommendations would truly be appreciated!

• Judi Haller
    10 months ago

The underside of mine has not even been smoothed out. It is just rough hewn........by that I me grooves in it.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH