Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tricia21_gw

fainting on price of my backsplash :)

Tricia21
11 years ago

I just ordered my backsplash and i can't believe I spent $30 a square foot. It's the only thing i underbudgeted for and thankfully, i've come under on the big things but I still can't believe it. I hope i love it more than anything in world. Ok, I feel better now that I've confessed about my indulgent backsplash.

Comments (32)

• kateydid29
    11 years ago

Yikes! That's too pricey for my backsplash, given all the other work we're doing inside and outside of our house! Would love to see a pic of your choice, though!

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

What did you choose? I set an upper limit of $30 but came in less than that (I think it was around $10 plus shipping)

• noopd
    11 years ago

what is it?

• Tricia21
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It's Ann Sacks elements 2X4 in Kohler Ice gray and I needed 32 square ft! They gave me 10% off so it was a little less than $30 but shipping was almost $200!

• buildinva
    11 years ago

Can't wait to see a picture!!

• williamsem
    11 years ago

That's the one thing I have left! I feel your pain though. I'll be shelling out about $19/sf, way more than I planned! But I will admit that after drooling over the gorgeous $65-150/sf tiles I loved, I was kind of happy the one I liked for my space was only $19. And that goes on my list of things I would not have believed I'd say a year ago :-)

• Tricia21
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Tell me about it! I was hoping for $15 max! It won't be here for at least 6 weeks so ill be ABB for quite a bit!

• doonie
    11 years ago

It can be a work of art, if you choose it to be so. Backsplashes are largely unfunctional, so the amount you spend is not going to impact the utility of your kitchen. That being said, we splurged on our backsplash as well. Three years later, I still love looking at it. No one else knows the cost of it, but it enhances the kitchen tremendously.

I can hardly wait to see your backsplash! Enjoy!

• realism
    11 years ago

$30/sq ft is outrageous. Obviously its something you can afford so I don't understand why you are complaining. Seems like you are showing off more than complaining. If you truly could not afford it then you should have looked for something a bit more reasonable.

• dilly_ny
    11 years ago

Sounds like you treated yourself to the icing on the cake. If you were able to stay within budget on all your other kitchen choices, I think you are coming out ahead of the game. Sometimes it's more cost effective to get what you want than to settle for something else only to redo it later on because its not quiet what you wanted.

Just be thankful your spurge was the bs instead of the floor tile.

Enjoy your bs and e sure to post it here so all us ABBers can be jealous!

• Tricia21
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks everyone! Ummmm, I'm confused by realism's response. I wasn't complaining. Didn't you ever buy anything that you felt you shouldn't have spent so much on and felt a little guilty about it? I didn't say I couldn't afford it bc as I said, I had a budget set and saved $1200 on the appliances and $500 on the floor among other things. I spent about $600 more on backsplash than I thought I would.. I hardly think I'm showing off especially since my galley kitchen is 1/4 of the size of most kitchens on here. Please don't insult me. You don't know anything me or my situation. I was only purging a little guilt and looking for some group support.

• remodelfla
    11 years ago

Tricia... you don't need to defend yourself hon. In my opinion, realism's take on your post was based on their own misinterpretation. The purpose of this forum is to share, question, and vent. You did nothing off base. I'm going through the same mental dilemma on which tile I want for my master bath remodel.

• Tricia21
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for understanding remodelfla!

• geomeg
    11 years ago

Ann Sacks tile seems to be beautiful and I was looking online at the exact same one you bought.Unfortunately there is nowhere close by that I can purchase it.

What type of counter and cabinets do you have?

• Tricia21
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Caesarstone raven and white shaker in Ben Moore simply white...it's really pretty. Looked at a lot of others but we liked the variation and most importantly, color.

• Molly Phillips
    11 years ago

I have the same problem as geomeg. Tricia, if you we're able to see different types, will you walk me through why you chose elements instead of her less expensive basic? Was it a color choice decision or did you see a difference in beauty? I guea

• Linda
    11 years ago

Tricia, I understand exactly (and ignore Realism -- often makes snarky coments). I can really "afford" almost anything, but don't think it makes sense value-wise, so will also be watching the budget closely BUT, if there are a few elements that are worth the splurge, I will go for it, and I think you were absolutely right in doing so. When you look at all of the people who buy $10-$15K refrigerators and ranges, a few dollars over budget on a backsplash is really insignificant and will be worth it in the long run!

• islanddevil
    11 years ago

Tricia that sounds beautiful. How far along are you in your remodel? I look forward to seeing the finished project.

Have this kitchen from Houzz in my inspiration file and the backsplash is listed as Ann Sacks Kohler ice gray. Don't think it's the same shape as yours though. So glossy, I thought it was glass until I looked it up.

Love A.S. tiles, but the website is such a PITA to search through! Did you see the tile in person or wade thru the website?

Here is a link that might be useful: [Kitchen with kohler ice gray.[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/grey-and-white-kitchen-traditional-kitchen-dallas-phvw-vp~765269)

This post was edited by island on Sat, Apr 27, 13 at 16:47

• misntroya
    11 years ago

That's some beautiful tile, it'll look stunning in your kitchen.

• SaraKat
    11 years ago

Everything just seems to cost a lot these days but if you are putting granite or another upscale type of surface on the counters it seems to follow that it will call for something equal to it. It can make the whole kitchen and so it seems worth it to me. We don't have an unlimited budget either but since it's not something you do very often and may not have to replace for 15-20 years, it pays to get something you will love and that will look great for the duration. I think you will be glad you did in the end! Can't believe how judgmental some people are, yikes!

• Tricia21
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Delete

This post was edited by Tricia21 on Sat, Apr 27, 13 at 23:55

• Tricia21
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi all
    We are way into the remodel. We templated the counters last week. I think we're 2 weeks away except for the backsplash which could take 6 to 8 weeks apparently.

I did see the tiles in person. The first time was at the ny showroom about 6 months ago. I carried the sample around with me since. I live in philly and there is a ton of great tile here but no Ann sacks. We tried to find an alternative but nothing was beating that one tile I had. So I drove up to central jersey and looked at the collection again. I had the salesperson pull all the Ann sacks subways out. We wanted glossy and color variation. I like handmade tiles but I wanted them relatively straight. These tiles fit the bill and I just fell in love with the color. I also took home a bluer sample but prefer the ice gray. I did see other beautiful tiles in philly that were similar but they didn't have the color we wanted. So in the end, the color made it win out. On the website, it's impossible to tell the real color.

I think beauty is subjective but to me, they're really beautiful. But, if you prefer solid color and a matte finish, these wouldn't work.

• geomeg
    11 years ago

Is the color light? In the houzz picture they read a soft blue grey...
    Do you have a pic of the tile?

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

I like the comment "icing on the cake". Enjoy your backsplash!
    I can't wait to see your AS masterpiece ;-)

• lazy_gardens
    11 years ago

Budgeting is like squeezing a balloon .... what you squeeze in one area can bulge out in another.

Lovely tiles, even though the website doesn't do any of the tiles justice.

• flwrs_n_co
    11 years ago

Those AS tiles will be lovely with your counters and cabs! Can't wait to see pics! If it were me, I could easily justify the cost of the tiles if I had saved that much or more on other items.

(Ignore realism's snarky comments.)

• Tricia21
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It is light but definitely not whitish. Here's a pic nect to our cabinet color and on top of a raven sample:

• Tricia21
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here's a closer pic of the tile so you can see the variation.

• islanddevil
    11 years ago

Can't see much contrast. Looks like a basic subway. Definitely one that has to be seen in person or a great install pic to appreciate. Can't wait to see your finished kitchen.

• Tricia21
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Island - I would agree. I took this with my iPhone and the kitchen is kinda dark still. But it's a very soft light gray. My husband is a big fan of white subway but I wanted a little color but not a lot. Here's a wider pic. It's on the floor.

• rococogurl
    11 years ago

I used the same AS 2 x 4s in Fog Gloss for our apartment backsplash. The colors of that tile are subtle but wonderful. I thought it came out perfectly and the fabricator was able to use pieces of the marble for window sills where we tiled the whole wall. We got tons of compliments when the apartment went up for sale. Just wait till you see those tiles catch the light. One of those expensive-but-worth it purchases IMO.

• susanlynn2012
    11 years ago

I can't wait to see your finished kitchen with your backsplash as it sounds like it will be beautiful!