Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dutseal

RE: Please Identify my Kitchen Countertop

dutseal
9 years ago

I posted a message on this forum but it was not in the Kitchen forum, so here I am reposting.

I need help for someone to identify my kitchen countertop.
I bought the house in 2007 and the countertop was already installed. It's about 2-3" thick, one piece. It is cold to the touch...Definitely not a laminate. I spilled vinegar on it and did not realize till next morning and some areas are turning Whitish and some areas are darker green.

Here is the link to the pictures on Dropbox.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/bpknjl9ubr0k6s1/hnToe3SiYp

Thanks in advance.

Comments (15)

• Amy Sumner
    9 years ago

Certainly no expert, but I love a good treasure hunt! Any chance it is Costa Esmerelda? I hit Google images and checked it out. Good luck!

• dutseal
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Sum5463:

You are indeed an Expert. That is the CLOSEST thing to my countertop than anything others have told me. I called out a refinisher and he insisted my countertop is made from Laminate. Which is definitely not true. Now I know which sealer I need to buy for this granite. Thank you thank you so much..you're a pro :)

• debrak2008
    9 years ago

Look under the counter on the edge, what do you see?

• cold_weather_is_evil
    9 years ago

Wait! There's something very wrong here.

You had a professional refinisher look at it up close and personal and tell you that it is a laminate. Then you are more than ready to accept that someone who isn't within a thousand miles of that thing and who is looking at a tiny picture says it's granite.

This makes no sense.

• worthy
    9 years ago

The under counter porcelain sink and the stains would indicate the top is stone not laminate. I'm not aware of stone sealers that differ by the colour of the stone, just that lighter colours require more coats.

• dutseal
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi cold_weather_is_evi:

I did not say he's a Professional. He was just a refinisher. Besides I have seen too many people who claim they are professional and yet do bad jobs. I know what a Formica looks like, my old house was Full of the Wilsonart Formica Laminate. Thanks for your input anyways.

• dutseal
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Worthy:

Thanks for noticing the sink. I forgot to mention, it's an undermount sink made by Rohl Shaw. It's a fireclay farmhouse apron front sink. I tried to look on the sides and under the countertop, but I did not find any marking at all.

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    9 years ago

Dutseal, if you set a plate or glass down on the counter, does it sound like you are hitting stone -- like it will break if you set it too hard? or does it have a more muffled sound, like you are hitting plastic?

It looks like stone in the picture, judging by how the patterns continue on the edge. But I suppose solid surface could look like that too.

Does the area with the stain feel rough, like etched?

• Texas_Gem
    9 years ago

Can you take a picture of the underside? It will reveal a lot if we can see it.

• dutseal
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Raee:

It definitely sounds like stone. Very hard and like concrete. It will sound like glass breaking if I ever drop something on it.
    Also there is some "etching" and filming on the surface, due to me spilling some vinegar unintentionally.

Thanks

• dutseal
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Texas_Gem:

Here are some pics from the under of the counter. There is this wooden board that is set under the counter that prevents me from seeing anything. It's pretty boarded up. I don't know for what.

Here is the link. And I just noticed some paint splats that I have never seen before.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/or0q14b49gxig63/6PfmTb4QP5

Thanks

• Texas_Gem
    9 years ago

Sorry, your link to Dropbox didn't work.

• dutseal
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Texas_Gem:

Sorry can you try this?

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/bpknjl9ubr0k6s1/hnToe3SiYp

Thanks

• Texas_Gem
    9 years ago

Still not working, it should say HTML on the end. You could also post the URL into the box at the bottom of the field where you type.

• Texas_Gem
    9 years ago

Still not working, it should say HTML on the end. You could also post the URL into the box at the bottom of the field where you type where it says optional link URL.