Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sarina_gw

Backsplash ungrouted one wall done

Sarina
9 years ago

Okay here it is ungrouted .He just got one wall done today will do other wall and grout it tomorrow . Still not sure about the color yet. The tile store lady is saying still the standard white which she says is an off white. Tile guy says bone , antique white or alabaster. She is afraid they might be to yellow in the end. So he mixed up some and put it in a tile or two for me to look at tonight. When he mixed it up it was for sure not white but I know it lightens when it drys and also gets in all the tiles looks different.

Comments (18)

• jellytoast
    9 years ago

My tiles are off white and I used Alabaster grout. Didn't the tile store and the tile guy have a full assortment of grout samples for you to choose from? Personally, I'd want to choose my own grout color rather than have someone do it for me, but if I couldn't do that for whatever reason, I'd favor the tile guys opinion over the salesperson's. He does it ever day and knows what will look good. The color of the dry powder is pretty close to what you are going to have when the grout dries.

• romy718
    9 years ago

Sooooo pretty! I just love it.
    Edit: Are you planning to try to match the grout color to the tile color?

This post was edited by romy718 on Wed, Apr 16, 14 at 18:15

• Sarina
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Romy :) I do notice in it the horus tiles in the middle frame are a bit lighter in the biscuit then the rest of it not sure why. They do tell you being a handmade tile they can be color difference so maybe that is it . Also subways are from their Tiffany line and the other in frame the Cristalla line . Both are Crackle biscuit though in color.
    With the grout the tile guy says to do more match of the tile the tile store lady says to use Standard white which is really an off white . She is afraid trying to use bone or another color that looks like it matches may give off a yellow hue and feels the off white is safer . What do you think?

• Bunny
    9 years ago

When the grout dries it will lighten a LOT. I have creamy white subways and, for some insane reason, I initially chose Antique White grout. It was hideous, way too yellowy tan. The minute the grout was complete, I had them remove it. I gladly paid for new grout. I think it was Platinum or some mid-light gray. I loved how it looked wet, and for a while wished I'd chosen something darker. Not anymore. I like the faint contrast, but I don't want to just see 3x6 pieces whenever I look at my backsplash.

• Gracie
    9 years ago

It's gorgeous, sarina! I really like the rope twist border, and that's the part I wasn't sold on. You did good!

• Sarina
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you Mayflowers! I really love it :) For the grout I think I will go with antique white or bone they are both so close they will be a better match then the standard white the girl at store thought I do think and tile guy think so and they see more of it out in the kitchens.

• romy718
    9 years ago

I think the Horus tiles in the frame being a little whiter looks pretty. The white on white adds additional interest.
    Unless the tile store sales lady matched your specific order of tiles with the grout color, I'd go with the tile guy's experience. Do have him make you some samples & ask him how the color will change when it is dry.
    Also, is he going to seal your tiles & grout? I had to ask my guy to come back & do it. The grout instructions said to wait 48 or 72 hours to seal (I can't remember specifically).
    Looking forward to seeing it grouted. It will be even more beautiful.

• Sarina
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Tile guy is here now and he thinks that the standard white would look best now he and his wife decided last night . It is not a white white but an off white. Oh my gosh I am so confused lol. Standard white or antique white or bone??

• sunsoleil
    9 years ago

What brand is the grout? I know that the Mapei white is not the bright white. I wanted super bright white and it was called avalanche. What brand are they using? Also, do you feel comfortable with the person you bought the tile from? You may want to follow her advice.

• Sarina
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The grout is Tec Accucolor in standard white then they have some antique white and bone in Custom grout and it is all unsanded.

• sunsoleil
    9 years ago

The standard white is not their bright white. I don't like relying on monitor colors, but at least this would verify that it would not be a bright white.

Here is a link that might be useful: Color brochure

• Sarina
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The grout is Tec Accucolor in standard white then they have some antique white and bone in Custom grout and it is all unsanded.

• sunsoleil
    9 years ago

Can he mix a little standard white and try it for you. I think it would look better a bit too light rather than too dark. Your tiles are pretty light--and very beautiful!

• Sarina
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you Annalyn :) We looked and looked at it and have decided to for sure go with the Antique white grout . I think that is the best choice . I hope so anyway lol . Wow grout is hard isn't it !!

• sunsoleil
    9 years ago

Grout is SO hard. I had bisque tile in my old house when it was a brand new color (or so I was told:) and there were so few grout color choices. Looking back, it was probably easier with fewer choices.
    Please post pictures when you can. You have made beautiful choices so far and I am sure this one will be also!

• Sarina
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you Annalyn . I will come back and post after he grouts it. Grout is so hard for sure!

This post was edited by sarina on Thu, Apr 17, 14 at 14:54

• Sarina
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Tile guy is going to grout tomorrow he ran out of time did not want to rush it .

• Sarina
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Tile guy is going to grout tomorrow he ran out of time did not want to rush it .