Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jkoebnick

Pics of my rustic modern kitchen

jkoebnick
11 years ago

It's almost done. I am working on the backsplash. What do you think? I like the diamond tiles - the tile salesperson called them romboid.

{{!gwi}}
I think it needs to coordinate somehow with our stone fireplace since you can see it from the kitchen.

My husband wants to do a focal point above the sink. Any suggestions?

Comments (17)

• TxMarti
    11 years ago

Very pretty! It looks so spacious and yet so cozy. Great job on the kitchen colors.

• kaijutokusatsu
    11 years ago

Details please! Love your hardware! And the floors are perfect for a rustic kitchen! Is your cooktop or range in the island?

• ILoveRed
    11 years ago

Well-done. Like the dark diamond shape tile.

• deedles
    11 years ago

my DH would think the sink area would be perfect for a stuffed badger. He's weird like that.
    Check out emutile.com for some really beautiful handmade tiles. Very outdoorsy and gorgeous glazes. Here is a sample pic.

• jkoebnick
    Original Author
    11 years ago

That's funny deedles! What you don't see in our living room is on the other side of the fireplace, there are 2 stuffed deer heads! LOL

Details of our kitchen:

Alder cabinets are custom by a local cabinetmaker and stained by my husband. The perimeter is dark mahogany stain and the island is red mahogany.

Hardware is Amerock Candler in oil rubbed bronze.

Granite is Fantasy or Astoria.

Appliances are Kenmore. The range in the island is a Kenmore Pro.

Faucet is Kraus.

Hardwood floors are teak handscraped.

Lighting is from Restoration Hardware.

Paint color in kitchen is BM Quincy Tan but my husband wants to change it - he says it's not right with the granite now that the countertops are installed.

• farmgirlinky
    11 years ago

don't know that a focal point above the sink is necessary when the faucet itself is very eyecatching and the hearth surround/chimney is so spectacular -- wouldn't need anything else. My inclination would be to just refer to/serve that stone hearth.
    Lynn

• formerlyflorantha
    11 years ago

Is there a piece of art you would enjoy over the sink, mounted high enough to avoid the spray?

• _sophiewheeler
    11 years ago

For "rustic modern", you already have an abundance of the rustic and don't need any more for the backsplash or you'll overload in that direction. You need modern. Stainless tiles or sheet? Sheet glass? Circle tiles of stained glass? Or stone?

Kinetic Fog from Glasstilestore.com

• CEFreeman
    11 years ago

I can also see some pretty tile such as Hollysprings suggests, varying the pattern over your sink.

I think, however, that those big focal point productions will become an early 21st century decor item. Easily placing the decorating time. They're pretty, but are they worth that much attention in a room with such gorgeous details already?

I agree your faucet is modern beauty in itself!

Your kitchen is very timeless to me. I think it's warm and beautiful. I can see you spending tons of time in there!

• dilly_ny
    11 years ago

Awesome! I am doing an updated Rustic as well. I love your alder cabinets and teak fllors. Your table is perfect.

I don't have any bs advice, but I think the kinetic fog posted by hollysprings might be a bit busy and dark even though its lovely.

Enjoy!

• Debbi Branka
    11 years ago

Very pretty! I like the diamond tiles best too. I was thinking some kind of tile design inthe backsplash behind the sink. Can't wait to see!

• sas95
    11 years ago

I agree with hollysprings that you need something more modern for your backsplash than what you have chosen so far. Everything in the kitchen so far says "rustic" rather than "modern" except your faucet. Add another rustic detail in your backsplash and your faucet will stand out like a sore thumb.

• mjsee
    11 years ago

I LOVE those circles. I'm not even TO the "backsplash" part of my design...but I may have to have those...

• boxerpups
    11 years ago

WOw, Wow and WOOOOOOW
    I have been away for a bit and you have come so far.
    beautiful!
    Love that you want to pull in a focal point above the
    sink and that you are working with all the elements.
    Let me think about some ideas and I will stop back in
    with some visuals.
    ~boxer

• Mizinformation
    11 years ago

Love hollysprings' idea. When I saw your pic of the view from the table, with the kitchen wall, and the fireplace beyond, this was my series of thoughts:

- Lovely!
    - BS should have an organic shape like the fireplace rock, but not be another stone element to compete with it.
    - Penny tile! (my first default thought about BS right now)
    - Sheet material, like copper! (my second default BS thought)

Then I saw holly's image, and immediately thought it was perfect. It's an organic shape like penny tile, but even more organic because of the non-linear pattern. It's natural/rustic because made of stone instead of ceramic, but it reads very modern. Almost Mod modern. Fun, but neutral enough to work with nearly everything. I think that tile behind your sink would look stunning and be a real focal point without going for a "picture" or mosaic which could look dated soon, as CF points out.

• Madeline616
    11 years ago

Gorgeous! Inviting!!

Makes me want to come over for a cuppa :)

• jkoebnick
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you for all your input. I do want something more modern. I don't know if I want my BS to be darker than my countertop though. I was thinking trying to keep the same tonal look. I'm not a designer though. Oh and, welcome back Boxerpups!