Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
peytonroad

My scabos and bronze backsplash, What you think?

peytonroad
13 years ago

It is not done yet but posting for all to see.. It is scabos travertine 3 by 6 in running bond and bronze harlequin/liners. Colors here look a little dull from camera

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Comments (33)

• prill
    13 years ago

VERY Nice... It looks perfect in your kitchen. You definitely made the right choice. Love the bronze accents.

• techmom1
    13 years ago

WOW! It's gorgeous!

• beekeeperswife
    13 years ago

Oh, I LOVE that! Nice job!

What's going on with the chandeliers, etc?

• adh673
    13 years ago

I love it! Added to my inspiration photos!

I am also highly interested in how you are laying out your stove area. Is that for a 36 inch? I love the legs and the way the mantle comes down to the counter but doesnt take up a ton of space.

• peytonroad
    Original Author
    13 years ago

ahh thanks everyone, it was not free like some we know above(or close to free!)
    It is a 48 inch range. I purposely had the little doors put on to hide the oils/spices. I also have my little ledge to rest whatever inside the hood onto the granite counter.

As for the chandys, I am still looking, just can't find what looks right yet! Plumber comes Friday, yippee. I can finally start cleaning!

• socalusa
    13 years ago

The scabos looks amazing with your cabinets. Beautiful choices of finishes, cabinets and design!

To me if anyone were asking for a truly timeless look - this would be the kitchen to show them.

• tracey_b
    13 years ago

I love it!

What's your granite, please???

Thanks!

• alicia58801
    13 years ago

That is very pretty! I am a fan of scabos travertine, and I love your use of the bronze accents. Very, very nice.

Can I ask where you got your travertine tile? In the photos it looks like the tiles have quite a bit of gray, which I like. Does it look as gray in person? Thanks. :)

• peytonroad
    Original Author
    13 years ago

My granite is Golden Cosmos and the scabos is mostly grey/dark brown and orange. I picked out the really light ones as they did not work with the cabinetry. They came from Charles Luckstone. I found that most of the online scabos were base yellow or orangey...

• pupwhipped
    13 years ago

Well, I hate to tell you...but, well.....IT'S PERFECT!

Really, perfect.

• cat_mom
    13 years ago

Very nice, and PERFECT with your granite!

• nursetammi
    13 years ago

OMG it looks gorgeous. I can not wait to see it finished. The Scabos was a perfect choice. Isn't each tile so unique and pretty? I just love looking at and touching mine. So, did you enhance them yet? My tile guy asked me to do that before the grout, said it would be less messy and easier to clean.
    You are going to have one beautiful kitchen. Everything looks so pretty together. I love the Scabos with your granite and cabinets, it is just perfect.

• gillycat
    13 years ago

gorgeous

• peytonroad
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Nursetammi,
    Your kitchen was my inspiration to do mine. I saved your pics for mine! I agree, each tile is so yummy and I had to tape each one by hand to keep the holes open in each tile, prior to grouting. Did you fill yours?
    So you enhanced yours, did it deepen the tile colors? I am so far okay with it not enhanced but will see.
    ugh my GC just tried it fit in the 48 inch range and it is too tight! They have to cut my granite after all this-yikes!

• squigs
    13 years ago

I agree - that is perfect with your cabinets and granite, really beautiful!

• chicagoans
    13 years ago

Really pretty! I love how the harlequin tiles have kind of a pillowed effect. Your kitchen is going to be so beautiful.

• jb1176
    13 years ago

Everything works really well together. You have done a magnificent job coordinating the parts into a beautiful kitchen. Please give more details about your cabinets.

• nursetammi
    13 years ago

Hey Peytonroad
    Thanks for giving me part of the credit, I'd love to have my name on that kitchen but it's all yours (lol). You deserve all the credit. I am so excited for you. I wish we lived close, I'd be over tomorrow to check everything out :)

I just grouted over the holes. The holes filled in a bit but not totally. I never even thought about them when they were doing the backsplash, but just looked at them since you mentioned it. I used Haystack grout so it just blended in. The enhancer may have changed it a bit but not as much as I was scared it would. It was pretty funny I was so inexperienced doing anything like this and I didn't have a decorator so I left it up to my neighbor who was putting it in. I guess if I learned anything it was that you should lay out all your pieces first so you can balance out the colors if you are doing two different areas. We used a little too much color by the white cabinet and didn't have as much for the stove area. Hey if you have any extra tiles and you can find some enhancer, you can do a test. I know its scary.

• cali_wendy
    13 years ago

Love it! Perfect choice with your counters and cabinets. :)

• countrygal_905
    13 years ago

I really love it! It looks amazing in your kitchen!!

• tamdave123
    13 years ago

Beautiful. I have a slab of Asterix granite on hold for my countertop (which looks very similar to your granite). A couple of fabricators tried to talk me out of it because it has a lot of mica and would be harder to fabricate. But, I found someone that will do it. How do you like the granite? I'm currently looking for a paint color and backsplash ideas. My kitchen will have stained walnut cabinets.

• peytonroad
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Tam Dave, really think about reconsidering. It does not cut well and if they do it by hand it is WORSE !!!!! Make sure at least it is a saw diamond cut. Also it chips easily and mine has epoxy fill ins on ALOT of the edges. I HIGHLY recommend the weathered versus the shiny finish. With the high degree of mica, it is a perfect finish for this terribly weak stone. It simply splinters when cut, it is NOT A smooth edge. I did not know this before hand and once paid for, it was mine to deal with. It is not the fault of the fabricator, it is the stone that is the issue! But it is absolutely beautiful! Good luck, the scabos is a really nice complement to it!

• peytonroad
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Here are some grouted pictures:
    {{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}

• tamdave123
    13 years ago

Thanks Peyton Road. I don't know what to do. I feel silly getting a stone that I know will have some issues, but I have been to many MANY granite yards and I just can't get this stone out of my head. It's like I must have it! Am I a fool? ...And it's not cheap. The only other stone I fell for was the labradorite blue but I just couldn't figure out a color scheme with it and my existing floor and cabinets I already ordered. I hope I don't regret the asterix. I just showed my husband your kitchen and he loves it too!

• doraville
    13 years ago

The backsplash is a wonderful choice for your kitchen. I can't wait to see the finished pictures.

• gsciencechick
    13 years ago

Wow, what a gorgeous, rich combination of colors!

• peytonroad
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Tamdave, I did not know of these issues beforehand so I was "Stuck". You will be okay IF you do a straight edge not an ogee... also the seams are very tricky on this granite, get involved in all templating. Did you know it has garnet in it! Since I too could not find anything else that worked for my kitchen and that I loved, I would do it again. I think the biggest slab is 114 inches. Do send pics of your slab!

• pupwhipped
    13 years ago

Peytonroad, quick question if you have the time. What kind of under cabinet lights do you have? Your light rail does not look that thick and mine is not either. The lights I have now show and I need to find some other ones or rework my light rail.

LUV your backsplash!!!

Thank you for any help,
    pupwhipped

• vampiressrn
    13 years ago

Wow...looks great...fabulous blend of elements!!!

• tamdave123
    13 years ago

peyton road I think the slab I have on hold is 117 x 72. My countertop only needs 43 square feet so that one slab makes it. There were so many different slabs of Asterix where I went so I was able to get one that had all the nuances I wanted. Mine has mostly shiny metallic gray swirls. The brown part is more copper colored instead of rust colored. I eliminated the garnets and white quartz, so the slab I picked just looks like ocean waves of metal swirl, black and copper which will match my floor and cabinets. Thank you again. Your kitchen looks like it should be in a magazine.

• lispatch
    13 years ago

What kind of cabinets are those? They are absolutely stunning.

• mick2
    13 years ago

absolutely beautiful!! you must be thrilled. haven't started our project yet, getting lots of ideas!!

• nishu615_aol_com
    13 years ago

Peytonroad,
    I am in the process of renovating and am at the point where I have to make some big decisions. Based on everyone's comments, your kitchen is one I'd like to see. Can you please re-post your pics?