Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
breezygirl_gw

Sorting out finishes for my 'special, unique' kitchen

breezygirl
12 years ago

Since I posted last week about my kitchen being special, unique or memorable, I've been thinking about the visual of my new kitchen. Some of your questions and thoughts about adding personality to the room eat at my brain. I really like some of the suggestions for bringing walnut accents into my kitchen. Plllog suggested running a walnut strip just underneath the countertops similar to this:

and adding walnut pulls on my uppers and walnut bun feet at the bases.

Blfenton suggested a wood top for my peninsula and walnut legs supporting the ends of the peninsula but keep the white cabs.

Then I get tangled up on the countertops and tabletops and how those accents would look considering materials I have already. I'm not sure which material to put where.

Here's my house layout with new mediumish brown (no red or gold) oak floors.

Here are the already established tops for the house. The Dining Room is open to the kitchen with an antique quartersawn oak table so that surface needs to be taken into account. It's a bit more gold than my ideal.

I have picked out Carrara marble as the, or at least some of the, countertops.

Here's what I struggle with. I like the idea of a stained wood island as it looks great in this rendering and would hide the wear and tear from little kids. BUT I'm not sure that I want to do it since everyone else seems to be doing it.

Kitchen all white and all Carrara.

Kitchen with darker island.

For the countertops, I'm not sure I want Carrara on all the surfaces. I cook a lot and with all the marble-etching goodies I can. The island is my primary prep surface so I thought about a different surface there. I really like the warmth a wood top would bring, but I have a silgranit prep sink in the island so I hesitate. Here's how that looks.

Another surface yet to be determined is the kitchen table with the bench. It could be anything I suppose.

So I need help. You all know I'm exhausted and having trouble making decisions. I'm not sure what my exact questions are. Maybe WWYD if it were your kitchen? Which rendering looks best? How would a walnut strip and other accents look with any of these scenarios? Do I skip the walnut accents? I'm open to hearing anything to help me decide one way or the other.

Comments (149)

• breezygirl
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Thanks for the recent material votes Rhome, Lisa, Blfenton, and Kaysd.

I think I'm going to print them out and see if I can make them clearer in my head.

I'm afraid to say that I'm on the verge of tears. And I just realized why. I want a white island. There. I said it.

• marcolo
    12 years ago

I just saw your fab house on that "rest of your house" thread. I think wood would really help tie your kitchen together with the house. Maybe the floors are enough, but something definitely wants to be wood in there.

I think the Imperial Trellis with the Thomas Paul(?) cup is cute, and IT is often used in Victorian homes for that touch of Is it new? Is it vintage? kind of thing. Obviously you can easily get Thomas Paul pillows online (which, even if that cup isn't his design, he has one very like it.)

The aqua plus brown in your third choice is interesting because it pulls in the wood tones but I'm not that wild about the pattern. The IT does really work with the marble.

• breezygirl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Marcolo, the only pic I posted there was of my sweet little DS's closet doors. Is that what you meant?

Here are more shots of it.

That cup must be a knock off. When I went store hopping downtown, all of the stores had those colors (turquoise, aqua, orange, sunflower, greige) going on in various combinations. I just bought the cup to represent the various trendy colors going on right now. Plus, it's cute!

I've never heard of Thomas Paul before, but now I'm hooked. His patterns are my style--modern but vintage, cool, chic, floral.

• celineike
    12 years ago

FWIW, i think that grey and dark wood look great and kinda modern together. (of course i feel that way - you've seen my plans right! lol)

I say going with any tans will kill your marble and feel like you chickened out. Commit to the thing you feel the strongest about .. like striking grey or green or orange. That is what will give you that "singing kitchen" you are wanting. :oD

I think the green or orange are the most "fun" but the grey is totally chic!

• blfenton
    12 years ago

I like the white island with the stained wooden counter top and the green fabric (or any green - aka the Pacific Northwest) with orange accents such as your coffee cup. (Don't suppose you can get a platter in the same pattern.)

A greyish quartz or stone top would be ok, you just have to be careful of the underlying tones in the grey (pink, green, brown) and to make sure that it doesn't get too cold looking in the room. As it is, quartz is quite a cold stone to the touch and can be to the eye. Do be careful.

WRT the colour- I'm on a bit of a colour tirade right now because the recent decorating magazines that I've been getting and picking up are just soooooo brown. From front to back everything is so neutral, so brown, so colour commitment-phobic. And I'm guilty of it as well.

• sherriz
    12 years ago

Hi. Been following this thread with interest as it was important to me to have a unique, transitional kitchen but also very functional. I too have a banquet as well. My island is Rifted White Oak that is stained Espresso while the cabinets stayed white. Hope this helps.

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

Breezy- It's been busy today, so sorry I haven't kept up with your post. I was looking for something earlier and found this...and thought of you. I like the aqua/turquoise pieces, with the marble and thought maybe a little crystal (not quite as much as in the picture) would give you some sparkle, with your stainless steel :)

{{gwi:1807451}}

• lisa_a
    12 years ago

Breezy, if you want a white island, have your white island! This is your kitchen, after all. A white island is what speaks to you, makes your heart sing so do it. No more agonizing over it, please!

So let's see if we can help you figure out the other pieces.

Of the fabrics you posted, I think the green and white, the gray and white, the aqua floral would look good with your finishes. The first two are especially bold, modern and crisp, a good counterpoint to your traditional features. I can't see enough of the fabric in the second to last photo - not the brown floral but the other patterned one with white, gray, brown and aqua (best guess on colors) - but I think it has potential.

The 2nd fabric is pretty but it doesn't do a thing for me and other than your wood floors, table and chairs, it doesn't relate to anything else in your kitchen. Ditto for the final brownish floral. The dusty blue is also lovely but seems a bit tame, safe, a bit too much elegance and not enough modern zing - no modern zing actually - for the look I thought you were going for.

Is your new coffee cup directing your choices - your muse, perhaps? It has a similar look and feel to the green and white, and gray and white fabrics - bold, crisp, and modern - but only the gray and white relates to the cup, IMO. The green adds a color I don't see elsewhere. The other two patterns that seem to work with the cup are the aqua floral and the 2nd to last fabric (which, now that I think about it, reminds me of a mosaic garden path, fitting for you perhaps). Both of these add warm tones and that's a good thing since you have lots of white and gray already. Again, my opinion.

I looked at JH Carr's website and think that, given the right fabrics, their chairs and stools would not look commercial but fun. I'm kinda grooving on the Liberty with wood accents on the back. They would look quite hip in either of the aqua prints or the gray and white fabric.

Breezy, it might be worth hiring an interior designer for an hour or two to help you sort through fabrics. Plus they have access to thousands of fabrics, many more times than what we ever get to see. It worked for me. I had been looking for a fabric for a cushion for a hand-carved bench in my family room for years without luck. I hired a designer, she brought over about 5 fabrics, all of which were great choices and one that was absolutely perfect! When I think about how much time and gas money I spent looking - her fee was a bargain.

One more thing. Look around your house at the things you own, the things you love. Can you find a common thread? Are your colors vibrant or muted? Are patterns crisp or soft? Unless you're changing your whole house, you will want you kitchen to relate to it. Does that make sense?

Oh, and yes, I've seen QSO in person. I have several family heirloom pieces plus I've seen it in cabinet displays and in finished kitchens.

• breezygirl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

One more decision made! White cabs. All around.

Now I'm sorely tempted to scrap my entire kitchen layout and start yet again. Today two people whose design sense I trust very much have told me again that they think my island banquette idea is weird and that they have serious doubts it'll work. I can take the walls down and start again. They're only framed and I don't have a floor or anything else yet. I could give up the living room and reconfigure the rooms again so that I could still have the informal eating area we want. Maybe when the kids go to bed I'll get the graph paper.

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

Breezy- People are just now questioning your banquette idea? You've been talking about this for months! If you're having second thoughts and want more space for your family room, I can see making a change...but think it through and make sure it's what YOU really want.

There's a big difference between having second thoughts and redesigning your entire living space. Good luck and don't forget to find time for some sleep! :)

• chris11895
    12 years ago

I'm partial to the gray fabric with the cup :-) What about an IKAT? I also second a meeting with a designer. You're doing so much of the work on this yourself, hire someone to sit with you for a few hours and give you some help!

Here is a link that might be useful: Thom Filicia IKAT

• blfenton
    12 years ago

Put the graph paper away! Sleep on it tonight, think about it tomorrow. Go to the house if you have time tomorrow, and walk the space. Think about it and visualize it.

We all have had doubts and gone through bouts of second guessing ourselves on our plans and choices.
    I happen to think that the idea of the banquette is a stellar one. You don;t have a large space and if you start changing things you are going to have to give something up.
    Sooooo - what will it be - the family room to get an eating area?, the island to get an eating area?, the eating area solely to be in the dining room?, counter space that you need for baking to get an eating area?, the peninsula that you want for buffet dining? What will you give up??

You can be respectful of peoples talents design sense but only you know what you need and like. Is the banquette different and not make sense? No - a lot of pictures have been shown to you to show that it works.

Now if you want to redesign the island/banquette in the same footprint that's a different matter. For eg something that runs right along the back of the island like the third pic of babs711 but that would require narrowing the island. or put the banquette along the right hand wall like the photo that lisa a posted and you have to give up that entire length of counter. You already have the fireplace in place how will you work around it. With your family dinners you need the sitting space.

Put the graph paper away now and sleep on it. For every person who tells you it is weird there will be two people who tell you its a great idea. You should know by now that the people here would have told you it won't work if they thought so.

Please be very careful and think very clearly about this.

• chris11895
    12 years ago

"Today two people whose design sense I trust very much have told me again that they think my island banquette idea is weird and that they have serious doubts it'll work."

Please don't listen to them! I hate it when people walk in and crush other people's (great) ideas... If they feel the need to help, maybe they can pick your fabric out for you? Or better yet, babysit while you meet with a designer and then go take a nap ;-)

• breezygirl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

No, people have raised concerns about the banquette all along since I came up with it in November as a way to keep the family, living, and formal dining rooms but still keep an informal family eating area. I dont want just barstools for the family. I can't look into my kids eyes as we talk and eat if we are side to side. That's very important to me.

I'm not sure what I would give up. I've tried dozens and dozens of layouts where we lose one of rooms. I guess it makes the most sense to lose the living room. Or maybe the peninsula buffet area. I only need that about 20 times a year, not everyday.

I was hoping that the addition of the small pony wall under the island counter overhand next to the bench would help make the bench are not seem so strange to the people who didn't like it. I see their point though that my idea is strange. Realistically, it probably won't look as good IRL as it does in my head.

DH will be back tomorrow night so I should be able to get a bit of sleep this weekend.

Oh, I have two calls in to an interior designer in town who will do consults of a couple of hours. That's just what I need! Maybe he'll call back tomorrow.

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

Great point Chris!

Blfenton- Very well said.

Breezy- I'm on a quick break from gardening...but here's a picture you've seen before, but it's taken from the side. Picture this for your banquette, with stools next to it. I think it will look wonderful! If you get the island in and there's not enough room for stools, then put the TV there and set up the furniture so you can talk to people in the family room. Sounds like a win/win to me :)

{{gwi:1807453}}

• chris11895
    12 years ago

Breezy: you've been looking for that "unique, special" thing with your kitchen. As others have posted, it's your island and banquette and you can take that and run with it. Show the designer you're meeting with drawings, but absolutely make sure he see all of the inspiration photos too and I bet he will love it too.

In your other post you had a list of memorable kitchens. I imagine every person on that list had someone tell them they "didn't get it" or it was "weird". Don't listen to it.

• marcolo
    12 years ago

The one thing I wondered about was the shape of the table. Look at the photo LL posted above. The round shape seems more natural, though I don't know if you could fit it.

I don't think your problem is the basic concept--it's in 'resolving,' as they say, the way all the parts fit together. A good designer should be able to help with that.

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

Breezy- I remember we talked about this before and the only way I can see that it would work, would be to move the refrigerator and use a slider. At the time, you said that was not something you wanted to do.

You would still have a space for buffet in the dining room, but you would lose your baking area. The pantry would be a foot wider, with a small counter, then the banquette, with either a wall behind, or half wall.

The 'mess' of the sofa area, is an attempt to show a choice of a sectional or a sofa with loveseat or chair.

Personally, I like your plan above, much better. It makes the kitchen uniquely Breezy and if it were me...I would fight to keep it, even if it meant putting the TV above the fireplace or on the island. If I were working in the kitchen, I would rather turn the seating to face the island, than have everyone sitting with their back to me, as in this plan.

So, in an effort to give you a little bit of much needed sleep, here's the alternative plan...and I vote for the current island/banquette plan :)

{{gwi:1807455}}

• lisa_a
    12 years ago

The photo LL posted is exactly what I was talking about! And it shows that you can do an all wood table because the chair fabrics relate to the cushion fabrics so the bench and the table and chairs look like a unit, not just pieces put together. I think it looks stunning!

I'm glad you're going to consult a designer to help you pull the colors and finishes together. Here's hoping that the two of you click and it's a good fit. When he calls, take the time to talk with him on the phone a bit before setting up an appointment so that you can get a sense of how he'll be to work with. Good luck!

• kellied
    12 years ago

Are you crazy?!! Do not even think about scrapping your kitchen plans! Do you remember how you have agonized over this?? You weren't even pregnant when you started this whole process and your daughter is 18 months old now!!

For heaven's sake, the banquette makes your kitchen special and unique! Without it, how is your family going to be able to be with you in the kitchen and not be underfoot??

Put on your big girl panties and don't let others influence your decisions. You need to have more confidence in yourself!!

• babs711
    12 years ago

Are the two people you trust resistant to it because they've never really seen a banquette integrated into an island before? What is their reason?

You have a good solid design up there. I honestly don't think you should scrap it. You have your casual, everyday eating space by the family room and kitchen that's out of the cooking area. It's perfect. Don't change it!

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

Breezy- Here's the plan I would choose. The TV is now in the island...hopefully with doors that can open and slide/hide away into the island. The banquette is a bit bigger (so two people can sit there more easily) and the table is a pedestal, like the one in the picture above. Now, you can pull up a chair from the dining room, if you want to seat an extra person.

I added a few stools, at the buffet/baking area, for the kids to use...something like the green stools, above. The kids will want to help you as they get older and there should be room to slide the stools completely under the counter, for more room when you have your parties and need the counter/buffet space.

The sectional is similar to the one pictured below. Plenty of room for the family to stretch out and watch TV or visit with you, while you're cooking. The shelving under the big window is for all the extra electronics equipment (DVD, music, etc) as well as books and games for the kids.

I hope this gives you some good ideas and shows you how very wonderful and unique your island/banquette idea really is! Don't be 'normal' and put stools there, like everyone else. You've spent MONTHS planning this, so whatever you choose, make sure it's what you and your family want...not what someone else recommends, including these changes. Take what you like and discard the rest :)

{{gwi:1807457}}

Sectional idea

{{gwi:1788303}}

• live_wire_oak
    12 years ago

The banquette idea has always seemed "contrived" in your space to me, rather than organic and integrated. It's not a bad idea at all. But it is just "tacked on" to your island. I'm glad that you are revisiting the idea.

Your issues are complicated by the fact that you seem to want the function of a formal dining room, yet you have it completely open to the kitchen and family room space, and then you also want casual family meal space within the kitchen itself. These are opposing ideas unless you start putting up walls to create a more formal dining area or remove the peninsula separating the dining area and kitcthen and use the dining area for both formal and casual eating. Yhe latter would seem to fit your idea of using the space much better. If you did that, you could reconfigure the island shape to serve as buffet space ad a couple of casual stools. Move the fridge to beside the oven and put in a cabinetry pantry rather than a walk in, and you'd still have great flow and good separation of tasks. And it would resolve the formal/casual debate that your kitchen currently has.

• rhome410
    12 years ago

White island it is. There is nothing wrong with that, and I don't know if you hadn't realized it, or were somehow afraid to say so, but it is in no way a bad choice. I believe it'll be the most timeless in the long run.

But yikes, you don't have to scrap a whole house plan you worked months to achieve to make possible changes in that little banquette area...Unless you have grave doubts otherwise. It is the time to make major changes, but not if that's your only concern, and it doesn't seem necessary. The kitchen is a great plan.

Stellar find, Lavender Lass, on that banqette-set-into-the-island photo!!

• myonlysunshine22
    12 years ago

I saw this picture and thought of this thread. I know it isn't exactly what you were looking for. But, I thought it was a nice example of a painted island with a wood banquette/bench.

• aokat15
    12 years ago

I had drawn up the other night a thought about a butler's pantry instead of the corner pantry for Breezy. It made me think of this Molly Frey kitchen in terms of the built-in fridge...

See also the cool table idea there attached to the island. I know you said you didn't have space for a full-length banquette given your family room layout, but you could fit a similar table concept. I drew that in as well

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

Sunshine- Nice picture :)

Rhome- Thank you! I think you're right, the white island will look wonderful.

Breezy- Your island has never looked 'contrived' at all. The only thing that has ever looked even a little crowded, IMHO, was putting the stools next to the chairs, since they're a different height. If you decide to put the stools over by the buffet, that would leave you more room for chairs around the table.

As for needing a wall between the dining room and kitchen, you've been very clear that you want an open space with sight lines between your areas. That's one reason for the see-through fireplace, right?

I like the idea of all white cabinets...but just one question about the countertops. If you move the stools, the kids won't be kicking the island or using that counter space, so marble for the island and perimeter countertops will be a very lovely and practical choice. But, for the buffet, have you thought of maybe using wood or a more forgiving stone in this area?

With the buffet (lots of people setting down dishes and drinks) and the kids possibly helping there (if you move the stools) this might be a great area for a different countertop, maybe even a soapstone. There are some with very little veining (that's what I'm planning to use) and it would be heat resistant and easy to maintain. You could use it for the entire serving area, by the dining table and it would look very nice with your quarter sawn oak table, too. Just a thought :)

• lisa_a
    12 years ago

Lovely kitchen aokat15! And interesting plan! I've always loved butler's pantries and wish I had a way to fit one in my house.

Breezy, take a deep breath, please! You're feeling overwhelmed and you're tired (little wonder with small children and frequently traveling husband) so no wonder you're second-guessing yourself. As kellied wrote, have confidence in your choices.

We helped you cement your desire for a white island. Perhaps we can do the same again. Think about your dream kitchen and see if you can figure out which features you've designed into your kitchen match that dream and make your heart sing. Have you always had your heart set on a banquette? Does adding one to your kitchen make you happy? Are you happy with the concept you've spent so much time creating? If so, then you need to remind yourself of this and give a little less weight to the opinions of others, no matter how much you respect their design sense.

If, however, the banquette was merely a best found solution to include a dining area in your kitchen where you and your kids could sit, eat and see each others' faces, perhaps there's another way to do that with a tweak here or there instead of tossing your whole plan out the window. For instance, if you're not dead-set on having counter seating, perhaps aokat15's plan with a table extension on an island is a good solution for you and your family. It may not be as unique as your banquette idea but if a banquette is not the best solution for you and your family - or the only solution - then its uniqueness isn't a valid enough reason to keep it, IMO. You can always find ways to add your personal stamp to your kitchen.

So, take a deep breath, then sit down and think through what about your plan you love and must have. What is it that makes your heart sing? You want to do all you can to keep those features because they will continue to make you happy long after all is said and done. Then determine the items you like. Lastly, figure out what details came about as compromise solutions because of space, money or other constraints. My hope is that this helps you clarify your vision so that you can move on without hobbling self-doubts. That inner critic is the worst but if you give it Elmer Fudd's voice, it takes the sting out of undeserved remarks.

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    12 years ago

Another option- roll out table?

• breezygirl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Chris--Love the IKAT! Particularly the Thom Felicia one which I hadn't seen before. Putting it on my list!

Marcolo--I'm not sure if an oval table will fit either. It'll see what I can come up with.

I've been drawing plans for the kitchen for about 18 months now. We had planned on finishing the whole house reno in April 2010. Now, we're still stuck at the bare studs, re-plumbing, rats in the crawl space, "oh by the way that drywall has to come out" stage. I have a list of the main priorities for the new kitchen and some other secondary needs.

I revisited my lists last night and some of my old drawings. Then I got as close to a normal night's sleep as I've gotten in months. The kitchen plan I posted at the beginning meets all those priorities and all but one (oversized fridge) of the secondary needs. This plan is as good as it's going to get and still allow us to keep the other rooms that we want.

Kellie, Lisa, Blfenton, Lavender, Babs, and Aokat for the support, drawings, and pictures.

Myonlysunshine--You've pulled up another of my favorite banquette pics!

Lisa--Yes, my heart has been set on a banquette. We had one in the old kitchen, and, while it wasn't the prettiest thing, I loved it. So did everyone else who came to the house. I really, really want one.

Beagles--That table reminds me of a suggestion Plllog made as a way to get the seating space in the kitchen I want. I think the banquette is for me though.

LWO--I appreciate your opinion that the banquette looks contrived. It's going to have to do for us in this house. As far as the formal dining room goes, it's not so much that I want the "formal" aspect of it (although I do collect placecard holders if that gives you a hint that I like formality), it's that I need a large enough table to sit at least 14 people. I have a large family and host all of the holidays here. The first item on our secondary list is a family eating space in the kitchen for daily use.

• kellied
    12 years ago

Whew!! Another decision out of the way. I might actually get to see a finished project before your next birthday!!

• blfenton
    12 years ago

If you got a good night's sleep after reviewing your lists, priorities, wishes and acknowledge that your current floorplan meets all of your requirements then I'd say you're good to go.

White island - check
    Floor plans - check
    marble perimeter counters - check
    hood vent - check
    appliances - check
    flooring - check
    island top - getting close?

look at the stuff you have done! You're a star! Good job.
    You have the bulk of the big stuff done. Yes, there will probably be some more c*** that gets in the way of a smooth process but you can probably see the end.

• lisa_a
    12 years ago

Woo hoo for a good night's sleep and reaffirmation of your plan! I'm so happy for you!

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    12 years ago

Breezy I like your banquet and I'm glad you decided to do it. Stick to your vision. It will be beautiful! :)

• breezygirl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks guys! I'm not any closer on island top--wood, marble, silver granite, or quartz. I've decided that I need DH to go with me to the stone yards instead of me going by myself for the 40th time. We need to pick a vanity top too and that one is really throwing me for a loop. Stone yards in Seattle are closed on Sunday so it'll have to be next weekend unless I can talk DH into taking a day off this week (not likely).

Anyway, I'm not going to think about the house for the rest of the day. DD and I are off to see if DS caught a fish in our lake's fishing derby and then off to my niece's bday party where we expect one of my other DB's to announce another pregnancy!

I heard from the two women who expressed their doubts about the banquette the other day. My suspicions about their concerns were correct. They both see a problem where the banquette and the chairs meet the countertop overhang. I've been brainstorming ways to tweak that area to make it less awkward. Maybe something will hit me.

• lisa_a
    12 years ago

Okay, I can understand their concern but I don't think it's insurmountable.

Here are a few ideas.

One, add a "leg" to the counter overhang perpendicular to the table ala the last kitchen LL posted on 4/29 at 22:01. Then put a cushion back on it - or cushion side on it, to be more precise, kind of like this (where the patterned pillow is):

[

[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/this-old-house-west-newton-shingle-style-traditional-kitchen-boston-phvw-vp~33975)

[traditional kitchen design[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2107) by boston interior designer Abbeyk, Inc.

Then whoever is sitting there will be surrounded by softness not hard overhang and cabinet side. If you need symmetry, repeat the "leg" treatment at the other end of the counter overhang, provided you have enough leg room for two stools left over, that is.

Two, move one stool around the corner so that it is now facing the DR. It looks like you have 48" aisles so you have room to do this. Move the 2nd stool down towards the 1st stool so that they occupy that corner. Then enlarge your banquette so that you can seat two on the bench comfortably and neither diner near the overhang - one on the bench, one in the chair - feels crowded by the counter.

Three, curve your bench ala the Visbeen Associates, Inc. kitchen I posted above (5/5, 16:33) or like this one:

[

[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/san-mateo-traditional-kitchen-san-francisco-phvw-vp~113655)

[traditional kitchen design[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2107) by san francisco general contractor BMF CONSTRUCTION

Here's a half-round bench:

[

[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/quaker-bluff-residence-rustic-dining-room-burlington-phvw-vp~105177)

[modern dining room design[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/modern-dining-room-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_722~s_2105) by other metros architect Birdseye Design

Or angle it like this one:

[

[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/cottage-kitchen-by-valerie-pedersen-traditional-kitchen-san-francisco-phvw-vp~19593)

[traditional kitchen design[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2107) by san francisco interior designer V Pedersen
    (I'm imaging only one angle, not both and a back to the bench).

One more idea. Indent from the corners and round the counter area for the stools like this:

[

[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/utensil-rack-traditional-kitchen-chicago-phvw-vp~44160)

[traditional kitchen design[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2107) by chicago kitchen and bath The Kitchen Studio of Glen Ellyn

or this:

[

[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/holden-estates-rustic-kitchen-atlanta-phvw-vp~115458)

[traditional kitchen design[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2107) by atlanta kitchen and bath The Furniture Guild

Both of the above would soften the appearance of a hard edge right by the table's diners.

All of the above save the first idea should also give you the added bonus of making it easier for the diner seated in the inner corner of the bench to get in and out.

• lisa_a
    12 years ago

Saw this today while cruising through houzz. Thought it might help with the counter to bench back transition.

[

[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/amy-birdsong-traditional-kitchen-phvw-vp~66442)

[traditional kitchen design[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2107) by other metros kitchen and bath Amy Birdsong

They went with the standard counter overhang (or so it seems) and a very generous bench back slightly shorter than the counter.

• breezygirl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Lisa--Thanks for the great suggestions! I think a "leg" in the form of a small pony wall is needed. I mentioned planning to do that above in the post with the bench picture. I appreciate you pointing out that I can make it prettier than just a drywalled structure! And I'm sure the booth maker could make some sort of end panel to soften that end.

I had thought of the idea of curving the end of the bench nearest the counter overhang, but wasn't sure I had enough room with just the 48" bench area to do it. I hadn't considered moving the stools down/around to get more room. I'll look at that, but it'll take more of my valued deep prep space away from the island. Might be worth losing a few inches.

I've seen the kitchen in the last picture you posted above. I think they mainly use the island for serving, not everyday prep like I would be doing. I really think in my layout that I need the bench back to be slightly higher than counter level.

I think between all of these suggestions I should be able to make the banquette-to-counter meeting more gentle.

Thanks! And Happy Mother's Day!

• lisa_a
    12 years ago

You're welcome, breezy! I missed the part about a drywall pony wall. I'd avoid that, personally, since that's throwing in an element not found elsewhere on your island/banquette.

I understand not wanting to give up valuable prep space (I'm hoarding every inch I can) but I think you can spare a little of this to gain a bit more room for your banquette and counter seating. And it's only when someone's sitting at the counter stool at the very end that it would interfere, right? For some reason, I got the impression that won't be on a regular basis, certainly not as regularly as you'll use your banquette, so it wouldn't be an everyday inconvenience. Don't scrimp on your banquette seating since you'll use that every day, multiple times a day and it's the only space you have for it, unlike prep space. IMO, as always, feel free to ignore it. ;-)

Just for grins, I drew out 2 of my ideas.

{{gwi:1807480}}

{{gwi:1807481}}

The table for the first plan is drawn small but that's because I'm not too proficient with paint. You'll want to make sure you have enough room for a decent sized table - room for plates, glasses and dinner dishes. I got a bit closer to better dimensions for the table in the 2nd drawing. It's roughly 48" long and 32" wide. Still fairly narrow but I think you've got the aisle room to make it a few inches wider. Our DR table is 38" wide - antique QSO, btw - and it gets really crowded when we have family dinners. But I love the table so it stays. ;-) We have 41" between island and table in the kitchen and it's never been a problem. Oh, not quite true. I've wished for a few extra inches when our kitchen is crowded with teen boys but my oldest has a few very big friends and they'd make any space feel crowded, no matter how big the aisles! LOL

Personally, I prefer the 2nd plan. It matches the geometry of your space better (you don't have curves elsewhere in your plan - or at least none that I see) and I like the way the bench lines up with the edge of the sink instead of partially splicing it. I'm not big on symmetry either but I also don't like lines dissecting features in odd places. I also like the more ample bench, that the banquette and counter seating is spaced out more and that there might be enough room for the person sitting in the inner corner of the bench to get in and out without making the other person on the bench get up.

I think your proposal of a high backed bench - higher than the counter - is a good one since the sink is right there.

• breezygirl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I only said drywalled pony wall because I couldn't think what else to call it. Are those walls/island legs with the paneling part of the cabinets or are they freestanding walls that had panels applied to them afterwards? I don't want an ugly wall there. A stylish, paneled counter support is what I want!

While trying to force myself to focus on "putting away" my kitchen stuff on the paper drawers and cabs last night, I got distracted looking at the island. I think you must have been reading my mind because I had the same two ideas you did.

I don't think I like the extra curve to the island like in your first drawing. I penciled it in on my plan and then erased. I like simplier lines better.

Then I thought about bumping the banquette down farther to the edge of the prep sink just like you did. Originally, I had the bench at the top end of the island and the prep sink was free and clear. Then I moved the bench down to get it out from the tiny aisle b/w island and family room couch and the prep sink placement was awkward. I was trying to get it clear out from behind the bench, but that puts it too far into the deeper island area. It kinda got stuck where it was, half-way behind the bench.

It feels like with some minor tweaking like this, I'm close to making it work! Thanks for your help Lisa.

As a side note, we're fine with the bench "dying" into the island. DS is a wanderer while he eats, and we'd like him trapped in there so he finishes a meal in less than an hour.

• lisa_a
    12 years ago

LOL about trapping DS on purpose! That's going to make me smile all day, breezy.

It's great that you are so much closer to the finish line! But it's eerie that we were thinking along the same lines. Hope that doesn't scare you. ;-) And I agree - simpler lines suit you and your kitchen.

• marcydc
    12 years ago

Wow, what a long and interesting thread!

So, one thought I had that no one seemed to mention and I'll just throw it out there and you can totally disregard it if you don't think it would be a problem.

I'm not really getting the island with the seat back against it. I keep picturing my 14 y.o. (adult sized) DD with the long hair hanging on my countertop, especially as she wrestles with her brother because that's what happens whenever they are in the same space.

Anyway, I thought about that when you said you had a DS and a DD like I have.

• marcydc
    12 years ago

To me this picture looks like someone's long hair could easily drag across the gas cooktop as she (he?) swung into the seat

{{gwi:1807453}}

• breezygirl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Lisa--happy to give you a smile! And no, it doesn't scare me. It confirms that those were obvious options.

• breezygirl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Marcy--I didn't see you there! Wow, you read this whole thing and didn't pass out from confusion or boredom?! I didn't think about the hair issue. DS is 5 and should always have short hair. DD is only 18 months old. It's hard to think of them as big people with different features. Maybe that one-time hair swing into the prep sink behind will be enough of a deterrent. ;) And the cooktop in the photo of that kitchen would scare me regardless even if there wasn't a bench there as the counterspace around it is minimal at best. I do love the cushion fabric!

Sherriz--I meant to thank you for showing me your gorgeous kitchen again. I love your space! The B.A., the floors, the ceilings, the banquette, the cabs, everything. Your photo actually helped convince me that white island cabs were the way to go for me in my house. If I had a kitchen your size, I would have done a dark island.

• breezygirl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Suddenly, DH is leaning towards a wood top on the island!

I talked him into taking Thursday off to go stone shopping to look at silver granites for the island top. We also need to pick a stone for the master bath.

• kellied
    12 years ago

I thought that a wood top is what you had decided on per our last conversation. From the sound of things that might be the only warmth in that kitchen.

• breezygirl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I think I prefer the wood, but DH wasn't keen on it. Plus, I'm intrigued by the silver granite possibility if I can find the right one.

Are you saying my kitchen will be cold Kellie?

• kellied
    12 years ago

You painted your living room orange before you painted it green. You will have an absence of color in your new kitchen.

Check out the post from babs711 on Tues 3rd at 1:52. Look at the 5th picture.See what the wood island top does for that room? Show that one to Kevin.

• breezygirl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

If you think about it, my old kitchen didn't have a lot of color in it either. My tastes have changed too. 10-12 years ago I didn't have the sensorial bombardment of children like I do now. I could handle more color and more visual fussiness going on in a room. Now I need my surroundings to be calmer, more serene, and clean. Now, I'm not saying that I won't throw in some crazy counter stool or unexpected backsplash or fun bench fabric.

I showed DH that picture and the one above it. He liked them a lot.

I misspoke earlier, DH and I are going slab shopping Friday, not Thursday. I'd say that if we don't find a granite for the island then, we'll decide on wood instead and be done with it. Wish me luck!