Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cheri127_gw

How tall is too tall for a cabinet door?

cheri127
16 years ago

We have 9' ceilings in the kitchen and I want the wall cabinets to run to the top (with a 4" crown), like mrslimestone's. This will make the them 48" tall. I was going to either stack the cabinets (36" with 12" above), or have two doors, one above the other, in each cabinet but I spoke to a KD today who suggested tall doors, each with a 34" panel with a 12" glass panel above it. Now, I know this would save me money, but I'm worried that's one TALL door to open everytime I go into the cabinet.

Currently, our wall cabinets are 21 x 42 and the doors don't feel too big. The new cabinets would be 39 x 48 inset so the doors would be 18 x 48. What do you think?

Comments (15)

• kailleanm
    16 years ago

If the cabinets are 39 x 48 inset, wouldn't your doors be shorter than 48"?

• rhome410
    16 years ago

I think opening 1 tall door is better than having 1 small one at the top you can't reach without a ladder? Ours are 48". I find no problem or awkwardness with opening doors that tall. Yes, I suppose the argument would be that I'd need a ladder to reach anything on the top shelf anyway, but at least I can see what's up there from floor level.

Anyway, not sure there's any savings on the actual door, but lots of savings in hinges and knobs.

• cheri127
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, Rhome. It's not the savings on the door, it was the savings on not having stacked cabinets. The KD said exactly what you just said, that you could at least see what's on the top shelf. I was planning on having glass paneled doors at the top with decorative items (haha...I'm the worst accessorizor known to the decorating world!!!). I have to have another look at your cabinets, but it sounds like one door will work.

• rhome410
    16 years ago

Here you go, obviously still lacking upper trim and some paint!

• cheri127
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Rhome, thank you soooooo much. They don't look to big at all. Wow, another decision made. What a day!!!

• antiquesilver
    16 years ago

My ceilings are 11' & the cabinets go to about 10', meaning my upper cabs are approximately 60". One door works fine. Maybe one day I'll actually decide on a cornice!

This is not the greatest picture, but it will give you the idea.

• cheri127
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Wow! 11' ceilings. It's funny how your doors don't look like they're 5' tall. I love, love, love the pot rack at the window (and was amused by the long hanging basket hooks you needed for them). I'd love to do that, too, but I don't think I have enough room; the wall cabinet doors would hit it. Thanks for posting the picture. It really helps.

• User
    16 years ago

I have a friend with very high (12'?) ceilings in an apartment in a historical area of NYC. Her cabinets go right to the ceiling. You have to stand at the opposite wall to see what's on the very top shelf.

Sorry, no pictures.

• antiquesilver
    16 years ago

My pantry-type cabinets on the opposite wall go the the ceiling. I don't know the exact size of the doors, but the overall space on either side of the fireplace is 6' wide x 11' ceiling ht. They were designed to match 150 year old exsisting cabs in the outside kitchen which were 3' shorter; my cabinet maker tried his best to talk me out of these huge doors, but I love them.

• User
    16 years ago

Just be aware that when you get larger than 42" you increase the chances of warping over time because the stiles are a single piece of wood. Many custom cabinet manufacturers have a waiver that must be signed if the customer wants a door larger than 42". Structurally, it's better to break up the space into two doors rather than a large single one.

• soonermagic
    16 years ago

I have 9-foot ceilings and took my cabinets all the way to the ceiling. My cabinet maker talked me out of having separate smaller cabinets stacked on top and into one big cabinet. I'm pleased with the look and have no difficulty opening the tall cabinets.

• cheri127
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sooner, your doors look great. Maybe I'll even take out the glass panel in the top. Looking at yours, I don't think I really need it.

Live wire: Since these are inset that could be a problem. Do you know if the tendency to warp is reduced if the door has a large lower panel and a smaller upper panel like Rhome's?

• mary_in_nc
    16 years ago

Personally I prefer the look of the separate cab on top. I took my inspiration in part from orchiluvr's kitchen.

• soonermagic
    16 years ago

Footballmom - I **love** the fridge. I shopped for fridges compulsively. This one seems better built than a lot others that I looked at; I like the extra drawer in the freezer; and the fridge layout is perfect for the way we use the fridge.

Mary's cabinets have the look that I originally wanted. Those are going to be gorgeous!

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz