Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hit4show

Help me with my kitchen layout.

hit4show
11 years ago

Will be renovating my kitchen. Would appreciate comments on layout. I answered a questionnaire and pasted it below. Rough sketch of design I am fleshing out/considering attached, but I am open other layouts. There will be wall cab's, but I figure I would start with the base layout. 96” +/- ceilings. Only the E wall is exterior. Walls, windows, and doors are actual location/dimension, not proposed. Thanks

[*]Goals? I currently have 4 blind corner units in the S corners (2 base & 2 wall). I want to eliminate all of them. Add a dishwasher. Want the sink, also on S wall, to be under a window.
[*]Family composition? 1 Adult. Need to consider resale value. This 1954 ranch house has ~1000 sq ft w/ 3 bed & 1 bath.
[*]Kitchen workers? 1.
[*]Do you or anyone in your home cook? Yes, I cook frequently.
[*]How do you see your kitchen used? cooking/cleaning.
[*]Do you entertain a lot? No.
[*]Do you want your kitchen to be a "hang out" place? No
[*]Do you have a separate DR? Yes, combined LR & DR.
[*]Do you use it frequently? Yes
[*]Would you like to open up the kitchen to adjacent areas? Not important to me.
[*]Do you plan to merge two rooms/areas? No.
[*]Where are you flexible? Will consider moving plumbing to any wall except N. E wall, would require a 3” chase, bumped out into kitchen space. I could either bump the entire wall, floor to ceiling, or just create a chase behind the new base cabinets. Will move electrical.
[*]Can windows or doorways change size? Window: yes. Stair/garage door: no. DR/LR door: only if necessary.
[*]Can they be moved or eliminated? Stair/garage door: no. DR/LR door: only if necessary. Window: yes.
[*]Can windows be raised/lowered? I cannot “raise” the whole window, as it is already at the bottom of the ext soffit. I can raise the bottom though by installing a shorter window.
[*]Can any walls come down? No
[*]Does the sink have to be centered under a window? Does it have to be under a window at all? Would prefer this. Currently sink is centered on S wall, and I think that would hurt resale value. I would prefer a window view, as I do dishes by hand, and have even when I had a DW available.
[*]Do you bake a lot? Moderate amount.
[*]Do you want a coffee/tea/beverage center? I just need a place for my coffee maker.
[*]What appliances do you plan on having? Slide-in Range
[*]Wall Oven? No
[*]Warming Drawer? No
[*]MW? Built-in, on countertop, or shelf. Flexible.
[*]DW? Standard 24”
[*]Refrigerator/freezer? Combo unit. Uncertain of width or configuration.
[*]Ventilation Hood? Definitely.
[*]Sizes of desired appliances? 30" (std) cook top. Refrigerator dimensions uncertain.
[*]Pantry: Never had one. If possible, would like one in the kitchen, if only a narrow one.

This post was edited by hit4show on Mon, Apr 22, 13 at 21:51

Comments (13)

• annkh_nd
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

So the corners are lazy susans?

Can you vent your range hood through the roof?

I understand your desire for a pantry, but putting one where you've shown would really block in that corner.

How about a galley style instead of a U? Range could go on the outside wall, and you can have a large pantry in the corner, and a 30-deep cabinet between the pantry and fridge, with 15" cabinets above. No corners, so more efficient use of a pretty narrow space.

• hit4show
    Original Author
    11 years ago

So the corners are lazy susans? ***No decision yet. I have some large roasters, and at least one easy reach corner unit may be helpful.

Can you vent your range hood through the roof? ***Yes.

I understand your desire for a pantry, but putting one where you've shown would really block in that corner. ***Yes, a bit. I mocked it up this morning, and it is ok, but not ideal.

How about a galley style instead of a U? Range could go on the outside wall, and you can have a large pantry in the corner, and a 30-deep cabinet between the pantry and fridge, with 15" cabinets above. No corners, so more efficient use of a pretty narrow space. ***Have considered a galley style. Will sketch out your design later.

Thanks.

• herbflavor
    11 years ago

I would take a look at similar homes that have removed the 84 in wall. There's no other passage to bedrooms/etc,so by removing this wall you would gain a nice open space, yet still have a working part of kitchen[sink wall ]removed from the activity area.. In the future, more appeal would be found for a small family/couple abiding here.

• hit4show
    Original Author
    11 years ago

W wall is load-bearing. Would need header. Will consider.

• hit4show
    Original Author
    11 years ago

There was a mistake in the E/W ruler bottom of drawing. I fixed that.

• formerlyflorantha
    11 years ago

I always like "plunk space"--a place to put things temporarily. When you haul things to and from the dining room where will they be plunked? Think...dirty dishes, bowls of food, water glasses, mail, etc.

• hit4show
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Good ideas, from here and elsewhere. Prompted by herbflavor, I have been perusing local kitchen photos of local homes for sale. Looking at the project with different eyes now. Need to keep budget under control, though. Do not think I want to remove the entire 84” W wall, but now considering putting an opening in that wall. It would connect the LR area of that room and the kitchen. Not certain what opening width, height, and location would work best. I think a galley layout would work best in this scenario, with a 30” sink base (single basin), 24” dishwasher, and 30” some base cab on this opened wall. Much to consider. Keep the ideas coming.

• texasgal47
    11 years ago

Unless you have a closet on the opposite side of your stove to be able to completely recess the fridge, I suggest that you put a 12" wide pull out pantry in the corner of that 84 1/2" wall, and then a built-in CD fridge.
    After the fridge, completely remove the wall from the counter up to the ceiling. This would allow you to have a level counter which extends into your dining/living area over the pony wall about 12" to 14". This wider opening and greater counter depth would significantly visually extend the size of your kitchen and add much needed additional counter work space.

• hit4show
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Still mulling over opening the W wall. LR/DR has large, single radius, plaster ceiling cove. My initial thought was to stay below the radius.

Attaching a drawing of the entire N side of the ground level.

• bpath
    11 years ago

I was thinking about ankh's galley kitchen suggestion. The range would be on the exterior wall then, right? The south wall could hold a shallow, 8" or 12" deep, 36" or so pantry between the counters. Easy to find stuff, a broom still fits, or hang it on the door.

That would give you some more counterspace along the long walls, as well as a landing for the refrigerator, or a slightly wider opening into the living room, or you could move the refrigerator down a bit for "plunk space" (fun expression, florantha!)

• hit4show
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes, under annkh's plan, range would go on E (ext) wall. It can go wherever the best layout puts it, though. The layout in the original post was just a starting point for discussion. Now I am heavily leaning towards opening the W wall.

• Valerie Noronha
    11 years ago

Where is the front door situated? Where does the door on the west near the DR go? I do think it would be good idea to open it up if it doesn't mess up your sightlines.

• hit4show
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Front door (entrance) is in NW corner of LR/DR.

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County