Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pat_123_gw

Banquette Table: Round vs Rectangular

pat_123
13 years ago

We will be putting a built-in L-shaped banquette into this space.

[IMG]http://i824.photobucket.com/albums/zz163/pat_sfo/2010%20Remodel/IMGP2524.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i824.photobucket.com/albums/zz163/pat_sfo/2010%20Remodel/IMGP2523.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i824.photobucket.com/albums/zz163/pat_sfo/2010%20Remodel/IMGP2522.jpg[/IMG]

I really have a hard time picturing it until the dry wall was in. Exact dimensions are to be determined. Maybe 5ft x5ft. Or at least 4ft x 4ft. GC wants to do piano hinged seats and I'm leaning toward under seat drawers.

In such a tight space, a round table would allow more walking space, but wouldn't a rectangular table allow folks to have more table space? I keep thinking the person sitting at the end would have to sit on the edge of their seat to reach a round table.

If you have a banquette, please share photos.

Thanks,

Pat

Comments (26)

• pat_123
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Trying new links:

• pat_123
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi plllog-

We are currently only two. As my DH, more in the "planning" stages. So we'd like to accommodate at 3-4. Would not be against having to bring in extra chairs on the open side, I suppose. GC mentioned building custom, but their initial sketches looked like a parallelogram due to the shape of the walls not being square. LOL.

• plllog
    13 years ago

So plan high chair space, and booster seat access, and a chair for mom to be able to leap up and attend to minor disasters.

Drawers will be easier to use than hinged tops, btw, but you can store more in an open box chest (hinged top) than in drawers.

I'm not seeing well where you intend to put this. The most versatile is probably a banquette against the wall with open sides, a rectangular table and a couple of chairs, but you said your space is tight, so I doubt that will work.

Can you draw us a floorplan? It's hard to tell what you have from the photos.

• pat_123
    Original Author
    13 years ago

My drawing skills aren't worth anything. I hope these pic gives a better idea of where the seating will go.

My inspiration photos (from uniquestructure.com):

{{!gwi}}

Lumberjocks project:
    http://lumberjocks.com/projects/16702

Here is a link that might be useful: Banquette Project

• plllog
    13 years ago

Yes, that helps. The angle cut table in the lumberjocks site is the kind of thing I was thinking of. See how it clears walking space, but actually makes the chair sitter more comfortable? In that particular picture it looks like there's might even room to pull up a high chair though it would be a bit tight.

Okay, so your sizes above were the table size, right? A 4'x4' banquette with a right angle is sitting room for two plus a toddler, or someone really chummy whom you don't mind tangling legs with. Again, a curved corner makes it a little easier to sit a third.

I hope some other people chime in with their own experiences.

Do I see in your photo (or is it a shadow?) that the banquette also covers a level change in the floor?

• natenvalsmom
    13 years ago

Our banquette is L-shaped and fairly small (there are only 2 of us at home now). We have a 48" round table with a large leaf. We have 4 chairs, but usually only keep 2 at the table when the leaf is not in it. We have had 6 for dinner very comfortably (of course, with the leaf). The rectangular table would have seated more (easily 2 on the long side of the L, 1 on the short side, 3 in chairs), but I liked the ease of access of the round table for the 95% of the time when it is just my husband and me. We also have 3 large drawers under the bench.

Here are a couple of pictures:

• pat_123
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi plllog-

The floor is level. The walls are angled funny. The right angle turn runs approx 20" then angles away. That space isn't square, it isn't triangular, it just IS. :)

I ran out w/ some blue tape earlier. I think I can measure out a 5' x 5' L where the seats are 18-20 deep. Of course the deep we go, the less room there is to walk around the table.

natenvalsmom, what are the dimensions of your banquette? Your pics also show me that there are benefits to a pedestal over a four legged table.

• plllog
    13 years ago

Oh, yes, that's why restaurant booths have pedestals. Foot room!

• wi-sailorgirl
    13 years ago

We removed a round table stuck in a corner to put in an L-shaped banquette and rectangular table so we could gain a bit more seating.

You'll have to forgive these pictures ... it's been a slow process here. I'm almost finished with the table ... it's white now and I've added throw pillows. Next we paint the ceiling and the walls and then I'm done in the kitchen for awhile!

This is just the banquette. We went with a drawer off the end (LOVE IT! We keep all the dog stuff in there right by the door) and sliding doors on the longer part. Granted that is not easy to access, but I didn't want to have to move to cushion to access storage. I can get measurements for it if you need them, but off the top of my head I can tell you that it's 22 inches deep and 16 inches high with a 4-inch cushion on top.

And here it is with the table (customized, by us, to fit). We can easily seat 6 and probably up to 9 if we squish or throw a couple kids in the mix.

Table shape is really a matter of personal preference and how many people you want to seat, but do be sure that no matter what you decide, you go with either a pedestal or a trestle for the reasons mentioned above.

• stiles
    13 years ago

Here are two pics, one with a round table that we used while waiting for our rectangle table. I like the rectangle for the size of our banquette.

• pat_123
    Original Author
    13 years ago

wi-sailorgirl- I like your green cushions. Nice set up, but I guess it's not that easy to access the sliding doors.

Stiles- that's a mighty banquette there! Is the table custom?

I guess while we are still a small family, we can use a round table and upgrade later when we need to. Although it would be nice to have family over and use the banquette instead of the formal dining room.

• stiles
    13 years ago

It is a good size. We fit up to 12 people with many of them kids. The table is custom and I like that it came a bit rustic to hide the activity of 4 kids. Enjoy your banquette!

• clarep_dc
    13 years ago

I am planning a banquette or booth too and love the pictures posted. We have space issues too, and I would like to know the dimensions of the seats and tables shown in these pictures (approximations would do fine--I am just trying to visualize how this would translate into my space).

• natenvalsmom
    13 years ago

pat 123 and clarep dc:
    Our banquette is 48" on one side, 78" on the other. Because it is directly next to the hutch, the round table works best for entry into the seat. Also, I really wanted the pedestal table.

• pat_123
    Original Author
    13 years ago

natenvalsmom-

Thanks for the dimensions. It allows me to see what 48" will get for us. Yes, pedestal table is now on the list. Guess we'll have to decide on shape of the table once the banquette is built.

• pat_123
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Anyone with more banquette photos/opinions/stories to share?

• Sherri Stein
    13 years ago

Stiles - what fabric did you use? Your banquette is gorgeous! Also - did you put any storage? What's the height?

Has anyone had the material for their benches laminated?

• dakota01
    13 years ago

Thanks for the photo's.

I am putting in a banquette too. I never even thought of using one, but a kitchen designer talked me into it. My wall is 9 ft. long - I don't want the banquette that long so I think I will put seating ends on it. I will have windows behind it and small windows on the sides.

I may not even use a table with it, since I will have an island that seats 3-4 and I'm a "family of 1"...

After I made my decision to put one in, I was suprised how many of the kitchen magazines are showing them now. So I'm glad I was "talked into it".

• stiles
    13 years ago

Learningguru: the fabric we used on the back of the bench is chella fabric-solution dyed acrylic aretha-thistle finish
    The bench is the same except the color is called canvas sateen.
    I am really not happy with the fabric since it shows spots and I don't have time to scrub a spot each time a child spills. I worked with a designer and told her I needed durability and she assured me that this being outdoor fabric would work-but frankly, I would go with a faux leather or something like that.

• kodak1
    13 years ago

Beautifil banquettes!!!
    I am also considering putting in a banquette. My dinette area is 9'X8'. The 9' side is under a 4' window and would line up at the edge of the cabinets (if I decide to extend it that far). We are a family of 5 and have kids' friends eating over often.

stiles- Your banquette is similar to what I am looking for. What is the size of your banquette? Did your GC build it or did you order it elsewhere? I live in NY and am having a hard time finding something like your banquette style. Any suggestions? Thanks.

• michelegel
    13 years ago

we are also considering different fabric options -- sunbrella and crypton look great, but seems like laminate will be more durable and easy to clean just by wiping.

Anyone have an opinion on what we should do with the back?

KD suggested making banquette deeper and using throw pillows. Do you need to create a tipped back? Does anyone really sit back?

• pat_123
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I've toyed with the idea of using seat cushions vs. getting a custom-made cushion. I think it will really depend how long we end up making our bench(es). I would like a slanted back if at all possible. It's just easier to sit that way.

• kodak1
    13 years ago

bump

• stiles
    13 years ago

Kodak1: Our banquette is about 10X8 with a depth of 21" for seating. The back is not slanted because rarely does anyone sit back but the cushions on the back are soft and pillowy. They are held on by velcro.

We are a family of 6 so the table is plenty big enough and fits 10 -12 comfortably. I had a cabinet maker build the banquette and install it.

Have fun designing your new space!

• kodak1
    13 years ago

Stiles- Thank you for the dimensions. Your banquette looks so comfortable.