Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
soapstone with creamy tone cabinets not white

Posted by foxyloxies (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 27, 14 at 17:12

Hi! First time poster here. In the middle of gutted kitchen and finding out most granite does not look right with our 1927 Tudor Revival home. It is an elegant old lady. Really marble would look best, but we are NOT careful people and we use the kitchen a lot. After reading great postings here about soapstone, it would fit the house best, and I like its semi-bulletproof nature. BUT a black and white kitchen would not fit the space (I promise) and I need to use creamy and coppery tones. Cabinets will be painted P&Lambert "Balsa," (an off-white color, more toward yellow than grey), possibly Crema Marfil subway backsplash, and reclaimed wood kitchen island in a warm honey tone.
My question is whether anyone has used this color combo with soapstone? I am concerned about the white veining clashing with the cream tones, since virtually all of the photos I find either have stained cabinets or a black and white kitchen. I am ripping my hair out and need to pull the trigger soon. Would appreciate any help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: soapstone with creamy tone cabinets not white

We have dark julia soapstone paired with Medallion cabinets painted in White Chocolate--a fairly creamy white. The dark julia doesn't have many streaks of white in it, so there is no real clash with the cabinets. You might want to focus on quiet soapstones without much white veining. We also have a kitchen peninsula in jatoba wood (a fairly reddish brown) that looks fine with the soapstone and cabinets. It's probably somewhat darker and redder than yours will be, though. Sorry, no photos--I haven't taken the time to figure out how to do it.

o

foxieloxies:

I suggest you look at some of the estone and solid surface marble look-alikes. All of the look with none of the etching.

o

I have caramel/creamy veins in my soapstone. I have quite a mixture of turquoise, white, cream, etc.

o

bcafe,

Could you post a picture of your ss. It sounds yummy.

o

I don't think you have to worry about the soapstone white clashing with the cabinets. Not sure that white really clashes with anything - but I will double check with my interior designer and report back if it does! I took a look at Houzz, and found a number of creamy cabs with the soapstone, and I think it looks great. Here is one that has the off-white cabs with a honey coloured floor which should give you an idea.

Here is a link that might be useful: Soapstone with off-white

o

It sounds wonderful to me!

o

We have BM Acadia White painted cabinets with our soapstone and I think they go well together. I looked up your color and it may be a little creamier than mine, but they are similar.
Here's a picture of our kitchen (minus our counter stools):
 photo 81C833E7-B353-4121-9732-F509A4A44123.jpg

Hope that helps one way or the other! Good luck. :)

o

"I suggest you look at some of the estone and solid surface marble look-alikes. All of the look with none of the etching."

Agreed! My first countertops I chose were solid surface Corian product, from Martha Stewart's line, "Bedford Marble." I decided against it mostly because it was just not the right color to do what I needed to do in my kitchen. but with creamy-tending-toward yellow-ish it would look stunning! It is a beautiful product.

o

I have knotty pine cabinets with a creamy whitewash (tending toward yellowish) on them, and it doesn't clash with the white veining in my soapstone.
I think your choice sounds beautiful, and you are going to love your soapstone! ...I do mine:)

o

I agree that different whites work together beautifully, esp. when any of them are naturally occurring.

o

I think black soapstone could act as kind of a frame for the other elements. Black accents are always sophisticated and it sounds like you have a sophisticated old lady!

Those Houzz pictures are gorgeous, aren't they?

And I do know nothing clashes with white, other than another white with a non-complimentary undertone!

o

Soapstone looks great with creamy white cabinets. It also looks great with rich, warm colors, like natural walnut and stained tiger maple. My kitchen designer's kitchenette in her studio has creamy white wall cabinets and stained tiger maple base cabinets with soapstone counter. It looks wonderful in reality:

o

ILoveCookies, that kitchen is beautiful! Feels rustic without feeling old. Gorgeous!

o

greenhaven, thanks! That's my KD's kitchenette. Her taste is very compatible to mine, which is why I chose her to do my kitchen. :)

o

My soapstone is being installed on Wednesday and I had the same dilemma with cabinet colors. Mine are currently creamier than I wanted with the soapstone. The cabinets are being painted this week BM Cloud White. I think that I am going to notice a big difference...maybe not. I know that after looking at all of the photos of soapstone kitchens I wanted to "brighten" my cabinets, but not have them stark white. Good luck!

o

Thank you everyone for your quick and creative responses! ILoveCookies, that IS a gorgeous kitchen! I viewed every piece of soapstone available in my area (Oklahoma) and they are all VERY soft, like I can scratch it with my fingernail soft! I was crushed for 24 hours, but now exploring having some better quality slabs shipped here from Teixeira Soapstone. Not a popular choice in this part of the country, lots of fear by designers, fabricators, etc., but I can see why after viewing the quality of soapstone being sent here. All soapstone is not that soft, right?!!

o

I should also say that not only could I scratch them with my fingernail, several of them had big gouges from the chains used to bring them into the yard. Worries me!

o

I had mine shipped from M. Tex in Denver.

o

Ours is from M. Teix (we are local to one of their branches) and yes, it is that soft. (We have Barroca.) It depends largely on the variety (and sometimes even on the slab within the variety) but I would definitely not categorize it as "semi-bulletproof." I have a love/hate relationship with ours, which has been in three years. If you want something that will hold up to a lot, I would look to the harder varieties--wish we had gone that route (but at the time, the harder stones were all green-toned, and we wanted the classic charcoal). But color-wise, we also have Acadia White cabinets, which is a very creamy/rosy white, along with a stretch of beech counter finished in a warm cherry-like tone, and I think it's a lovely match there.

o

Green Mountain "Majestic" soapstone is architectural grade and is very appropriate for kitchen use. I'd look up the company and see if there are any fabricators in your area. It's not as dramatic looking as some of the slabs from other distributors but if you want something fit for a kitchen the quality is great.

o

I have the anastacia soapstone from m texiera. It is much harder than most. My cabs are white dove which is pretty creamy. A lot will depend on your lighting as well.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here