Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
llando

New Shitake Caesarstone

LLando
11 years ago

Has anyone seen the new "shitake" caesarstone? I just got a sample of it, and I think it is beautiful. I was all set to go with Raven caesarstone, then I saw this color! I would love opinions - do you think shitake is a classic color? Thank you so much!

Comments (22)

• kaysd
    11 years ago

I was really impressed with the Shitake, and I do not usually like brown/taupe/tan counters. Since many people do like those colors, I can see Shitake becoming very popular, as it is the most attractive "brown" quartz option IMHO. The patterning is very nice.

OTOH, I love Raven. It really depends on your cabinets and whether you want the more dramatic look of Raven or the softer look of Shitake.

• ohlaches
    11 years ago

So here is my funny story about this color. We are now something like 18 months into our build and at times I've felt like I am at the end of my rope. Picking countertops just about put me over the edge. I was looking for a quartz to complement my marble and I saw the shitake color and sent our fabricator an email asking if they had a sample of it yet. This is after I've waffled about a thousand times on countertops, so my return email comes back and the subject line gets truncated to, Re: new caesarstone color $h!t. I laughed so hard I cried....I'm sure everyone thought I had completely lost it. I then called the fabricator and told them I would never look at this color the same way again!

In the end I went with cinder, but I would love to see the shitake.

• LLando
    Original Author
    11 years ago

kaysd - thanks for weighing in! The kitchen will be open to a small family room, so I wonder if the softer shitake might make the furniture selection easier...I'm usually a taupe/neutral kind of person!

• LLando
    Original Author
    11 years ago

ohlaches - that story is hilarious!! I know how you feel about waffling on countertops. I am glad you were able to make a decision - cinder is a beautiful color. Did you go with honed or regular finish?

• ohlaches
    11 years ago

I think it's regular...I can't remember though!

• LLando
    Original Author
    11 years ago

My cabinets will be a creamy white and I have chosen creamy crackle-finish subway tiles for the backsplash. I am still so torn! But, I am happy to hear that it looked great in person.

• formerlyflorantha
    11 years ago

Here is a web page, for those like me who need a visual.

Here is a link that might be useful: Shitake Caesarstone

• Salvina
    11 years ago

LLando - can you tell me what creamy crackle backsplash you picked for your shitake caesarstone? I selected shitake but am waffling over backsplash to go with it and soft white (Ben Moore mascarpone) cabinets. So far I'm looking at Quemere Navajo White crackle or Quemere Ice Cream Crackle subway tiles. I've looked at some Sonoma crackle tiles too.

• blackchamois
    11 years ago

I am also considering Shitake! For backsplash I was thinking a 2x4 calacutta. This is a picture I took of the two together ...

• mitchdesj
    11 years ago

I like the white spots in it, I'm a caesarstone fan, I have Raven in Florida and Ginger in our Mtl condo ; can't wait to see your finished project.

• AliG123
    11 years ago

I'm also strongly considering Shitake for my kitchen counters with calcutta gold backsplash. BlackChamois - did you use it? Do you have pictures?

Does anyone else have pictures? Are you happy with it?

• blondelle
    11 years ago

The Raven is very pretty but look at this new color from Caesarstone. It's not in the US as yet but I think it will be in March or April. Stunning with white cabinets and white subway tile. Has a bit of a soapstone look. It's called Gray Pietra or something like that.

• robingg
    8 years ago

I'm so happy to have come upon this link. I, too am seriously considering the Shitake for my kitchen counters. I love the softness; just wish it came in a honed finish. I'm trying to tie in a lot of Old Chicago antique brick that the kitchen opens up to. We have a large arch being made in the brick and openings to the dining and entry in the same brick. I'm wondering if doing the same brick in a backsplash would be too much? The old Chicago brick goes beautifully with the Shitake but wondering if it will be "too much brick" between kitchen and living areas? Then again, not sure I want to introduce another type stone into the room since I'm also doing a Calacutta gold top on my island. I'm leaning towards the BM Manchester Tan for kitchen cabinets and antique oak cabinet for island.

• Desiree Parsons
    6 years ago

Hi Annsh,

This is an old thread. But do you have a photo of your kitchen finished, as this is the colour scheme I'm going for in kitchen? White cabinetry and organic white and shitake island bench tops.

• PRO
    Aqua Kitchen and Bath Design Center
    6 years ago

Caesarstone Shitake Quartz is a beautiful stone that holds remarkably and can last a lifetime. It's neutral blended mushroom color and white specks will look great n combination with soft white organic quartz look and white cabinetry.

• rgreichle
    6 years ago

I ended up using the Shitake on my kitchen and laundry room counters. Absolutely love the look. I used Old Chicago brick as the backsplash and couldn't be happier. So happy that I'm using again in the home we just purchased. We went with a Taj Mahal on island and it all blended beautifully

• ishop19
    6 years ago

PIctures?

• mchanes
    5 years ago

we just got our shitake countertops installed and unfortunately the shitake ending up very different than the sample that we were given. We wanted a warm look to go with cappuccino cabinets, yet they turned out very grey and cold looking, almost as if they were lavender. I would strongly recommend anyone look at the slab before they start fabrication to verify that you are getting the right shade and that it matches your sample. Caesarstone had put up a wall stating some variations can happen therefore they are not responsible. But when you describe on your website that it is brown quartz and it clearly comes in a cool grey, you need to stand by your word and make it right. The different cool tone completely changes the look of our kitchen! For us it was a big mistake to trust Caesaerstone.

• ishop19
    5 years ago

mchanes,

I’m so sorry that happened! A picture of the sample sitting on top of your countertop would be helpful so we could see the difference!

• Tl Howard
    5 years ago

I am thinking of using Shitake on white shaker cabs. Anyone think that Shitake has pink in it?

• moandro50
    4 years ago

yes

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler