Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ledmond

trying to NOT have a "sidesplash" (fabricators please weigh in!)

LE
10 years ago

My contractor and tile guy are looking at me like I'm slightly nuts, but I'm visualizing something like the image below. Only totally different materials. But just drywall on the left, tile at the back. At first, I thought the contractor just had a different aesthetic, which is fine. But now he's saying it's going to be much tricker to get the countertop in without gouging the walls since the fit will have to be so precise.

What do you guys think? In one case, this issue applies to a vanity counter in a bathroom alcove. The other is where a peninsula goes into a corner (I don't have a floorplan handy, but there's a jog in the corner.) He did say he can detach the fridge panel and get some more wiggle room. I just want to know if I'm being unreasonable, or if it is just tricker, but still quite doable. I'm paying time and materials, so tricker just costs me more, not them.

Here is a link that might be useful: no sidesplash

Comments (11)

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

Here's my kitchen counter, no sidesplash. Same in the master bath. Noone even mentioned this to me as being problematic.

• OOTM_Mom
    10 years ago

I'll post two pictures, the first shows the whole length, both ends are against pantry like cabinets (fridge on one end). The second shows the difficult area, fitting counter in around cabinet edge. They did say it could be a problem installing the marble. Luckily, we could pull the fridge out, and the fridge panel had enough wiggleroom to get the marble in place. Unless your walls are dramatically wider at the back than the front, I would think it could be done. I am by no means a professional though!

• OOTM_Mom
    10 years ago

Difficult area to fit in countertop, same on other end. See how it is wider just behind front of counter? That was the the area of concern. We had no problems though.

• LE
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hmm, thanks very much to both of you. Our contractor is a perfectionist and I think he worries about things that "might be" a problem sometimes. I just hope this is one of them. The walls are pretty darn square, thanks to characteristic #1 above. If anything, I would think the extra mud that tends to end up in corners post-drywall would make the top narrower there, not wider. (I don't mind being a PITA once in a while, but I don't like to do it unknowingly!)

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    10 years ago

"But now he's saying it's going to be much tricker to get the countertop in without gouging the walls since the fit will have to be so precise."

Have him cut a piece of v-32 plastic laminate about 15"x22" and tape it to a wall just above where the top of the top will land. Bring the top in at an angle with the lower end at the unprotected side. Tilt the top into place and let it scrape the v-32 on the way down. Pull the v-32 and silicone between the top and wall.

• feisty68
    10 years ago

Hope the article below helps.

(sjhockeyfan, your kitchen is stunning!)

Here is a link that might be useful: The Side Backsplash Dilemma: Should You Have One, Or No?

• LE
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Trebuchet, thanks-- I knew you'd have a trick or two up your sleeve! What is "v32"? Is that the thickness?

Thanks, feisty-- I think I saw this article at one point when I was deciding, but I could not find it today fro some reason.

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

Thanks Feisty!

• texasgal47
    10 years ago

Just wanted to chime in no tile on either side wall in my bathroom or for one side wall in kitchen. No one mentioned having any problems with it. By the way, isn't Trebuchet wonderful?!

• xc60
    10 years ago

We have had no sidesplashes in other kitchens and in our bathrooms. Here is a pic of our new build ensuite. They were able to get a nice fit with no damage to the walls.....

• LE
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, xc and Texasgal. Pix are so helpful.

Last night, I recalled that I have some sheets of Teflon (used for heat-resistant properties, but also super-slippery. Wondering if I could tape that to the wall and use it as the surface the counter slides down on in place of the laminate Trebruchet described above?

(A lot of the installs I see seem to allow for sliding the counter straight in to the back wall. Not sure if that will work in our kitchen, but I know it won't work in the bathroom because the door trim is already on the pocket door, so they have to do the diagonal drop-down method instead.)