Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Thoughts on the riser/backsplash on a pro-style range (like Wolf)

Posted by carriage (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 16, 10 at 17:06

Hi! Ready to buy a 36" Wolf All Gas range. It will go on a wall that has exposed brick, with a big ole stainless steel hood (Kobe RA-02) above it. There is no backsplash (exposed brick is impossible to clean, literally). Trying to decide between the 10" riser, the 20" with shelf, and just getting a full panel of stainless steel to go from the range to the hood. Considering stainless counters, though, so the latter option seems like a bit too much steel, I'm afraid. And I worry that the 20" with a shelf will interfere with the hood. If anyone has pics of theirs (and of the three!), I would really appreciate seeing them! I promise to post pics when I'm done!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Thoughts on the riser/backsplash on a pro-style range (like W

the stainless steel backsplash looks fine
see 2nd photo from link to wolf's website

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.wolfappliance.com/DualFuelRanges/DF48DualFuelRange

o

I just ordered the 36" Wolf rangetop with 20" riser with shelf and the Wolf pro wall hood. The wall hood is going to be 30" above the rangetop. After reading your post I was worried that the shelf would be too high for the vent, but here's a pic from the Wolf website.

http://www.wolfappliance.com/Ventilation/ProWallHood

(select the 4th pic)

I think there is enough room. I plan to put some decorative conntainers up there for easy access to salt and oil. I think that it would look really nice against the brick backsplash and not too much stainless if you have stainless counters. I think the 10" riser may not offer enough protection for the brick while cooking. Just my thoughts. I'm curious to see what others think.

o

I'm only thinking it might be too much stainless if I do decide on stainless countertops. Actually, we are waiting for a sample of an "antique matte" stainless; don't know how that would look with all the other stainless in the kitchen.

As for the hood issue, I just don't see how a nine inch shelf could NOT interfere with the suction of the hood... I think I read too much in all the threads about what makes for the most efficient hood!

On the flip side, I just saw a 10" riser on ebay for $75 bucks. Don't know how much the 20" is, but maybe I should just try it, and if it doesn't work out, then I could go for one of the other options...

o

We have stainless behind our range, with stainless clad cabinets flanking it (to balance out the hood & flanking cooktops), stainless countertops, and stainless hoods:

2.Range, sink walls

1. Ref, range

To offset the stainless, we wood panelled some appliances, chose granite for the island, onyx tile for the backsplash, and stone over the upper cabinets. The range has "island trim" rather than a riser.

o

Is Wolf one of the ranges that the oven actually vents through their backsplash? (It's hollow, IIRC) If so, you would need the "island trim" if using a plain, flat, stainless generic panel. Which is what you'd have to do if you were bringing a pot filler through it; not that you are...
Casey

o

What is island trim?

gizmonike your kitchen is beautiful, very sleek.

carriage - My Wolf 20" riser wih shelf is about $500. Maybe give the $75 one a try, but it would bother me if all my stainless items didn't match...but I'm a matchy, match type person.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here