Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
back of cabinet door storage

Posted by carolml (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 9, 13 at 17:05

Our new pantry cabinet was built to be 18" deep with 14" interior shelves. I had planned on mounting shelving to the interior of the doors to a depth of no more than 4" to hold pantry goods, including tins, etc. I am having trouble deciding what would be the best time of shelving? At the moment I am leaning towards the Elfa wire baskets. Any other solutions out there?
Thanks.
Carol

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: back of cabinet door storage

These came from my cabmaker. They might be Rev a Shelf. If you would like to know for sure, I can try to find out.

photo P2030327.jpg

o

Thanks Ginny. My cabinet maker showed me those but the sizes offered didn't work that well for my cabinets. They look nice, though.

o

How wide is the space you need shelves for? I'm looking on Lee Valley for you, and they have one that is ~12" long, and 3.9" deep.

Here is a link that might be useful: wire basket shelf

o

before you add shelving for cans and other heavy things like that, make sure that the cabinet and the hinges can support that much weight and won't sag or break over time.

o

Didn't want to hijack the thread but that is my primary concern.

Isn't anyone else afraid that - support or no support - hanging stuff on the door(s) would sooner or later destroy your expensive cabinet(s)?

o

Thanks raehelen, I forgot about Lee Valley - we even have a store in town so I can see them in real life.
Eleena - This storage was in my plans from the beginning so my cabinet maker put three heavy duty hinges on doors that are each 49" high. I won't put all cans,not wanting to push my luck, they could also hold cracker boxes and other less heavy things. There's always a need for more storage.

o

eleena - Valid point. I just assumed I could do it, since this is where my spices were in the old kitchen for over 20 years. The 50-year-old Woodmode slab door on that cab held up a bunch of little shelves. I don't know what the PO put in there, but I always put my spices there. When I was talking to the cabmaker, I opened the door and said "I want this again, only taller." He put in a bunch of hinges to support the door. I just looked, and there are no marks on the inside of the door. The shelves don't allow the bottles to rest against the door itself, so the surface is protected. My young Mennonite cabmaker has a lifetime guarantee on the cab, so I know he wouldn't have done this if he anticipated problems. But you're right - you shouldn't do this unless your cabmaker, like carol's, gives you his (or her) blessing and puts in extra hinges. In my case, spices, being dry, are relatively light.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here