Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lisapico

Acountryfarm, Igloochic you 'highend' fauceters out there..

lisapico
15 years ago

Thanks for posting to my earlier comment on fixtures. I'm very curious to know what faucets you chose for bath and kitchen. Igloochic or anyone else for that matter chime in on your overly expensive but well-loved faucetry!!

Thanks!

Comments (38)

• igloochic
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

LOL let's see...my main sink faucet in the kitchen is a KWC Systema system, with a regular faucet and rinse sprayer. Then the prep sink is a bit simpler, just a nice Danze Opulance prep/bar sink faucet (nicely made). I also have Danze in the powder room with a wall mount system. My pop filler is a Franke piece...gorgeous and rediculous in price but the knobs really work with the range (Lacanche).

Bathroom (master) is a Bordeaux vessel sink faucet from Signature Hardware (I like their stuff and they worked well with me). It's kind of like this:
    http://www.signaturehardware.com/product6459

Signature really stands by their products!

I also purchased a Nottinggham Brass Shower fixture from them called Abington (exposed pipe shower)
    http://www.signaturehardware.com/product5341

And directly from Nottingham Brass (because I LOVED the quality...it's amazing) I purchased a waterfall faucet (wall mount with a large flow waterfall) for the tub. It's not shown any longer, but it's ORB and just gorgeous :)

For DS's room..Danze again and I can't remember the exact one but the little head on it comes out to be a rinse feature. The shower was also purchased (DS's) through Signature Hardware...Inca Brass (It's thermostatic just like the master shower is).

They're all heavy and substantial hardware...no cheesewiz parts. The Danze were all purchased off of ebay at great prices. I also had a Danze pot filler but got the wrong finish so I just shipped that off to another GWeber this week.

Then you get into the pipes and stuff...the tubs in particular, which I purchased from Americh. You can get into real trouble with bad pipes there (mine are both air jets). In DS's room it's an airjet tub with a heater system to recirc the water and keep it warm, and in the master it's a 32" deep japenese soaking tub that has both air and water jets, and a recirc feature to keep the water warm. The recirc motors and the air jet motors took some research. I went with Americh due to the quality of their fittings.

And I'm trading in my boring toilets in the master and DS's bathroom for Toto. I'll use the boring (can't remember the brand, but they were good quality) ones in the rental unit. A quality toilet is important...I don't like noise in a flush, but want whatever is flushed (ie gold fish or toy trucks or unmentionables :oP) to stay down where they belong!

• lisapico
    Original Author
    15 years ago

So, here's my list so far: groehe bridgeford kitchen faucet; in bathroom toto lloyd toilet; kallista barbara berry "for her" sink; kallista barbara berry vanity faucet and tub faucet; don't know about shower. In 1/2 bath kohler memoirs pedestal sink and either a memoirs toilet to match or the toto drake. Still waiting bid (two weeks and counting).

• edlakin
    15 years ago

jooc, what makes a toto toilet less boring than a boring toilet?

• acountryfarm
    15 years ago

My fixtures are Sigma Reserve, Sancerre collection. Here are some picks. I am kind of a purist and like everything the same throughout house. All our fixtures are the same in the baths except the formal powder room. The kitchen fixture for one sink is the same looking as the baths but it has side spray. The other kitchen sink is culinary faucet by KWC. All sinks are undermount American Standard for baths, Shaw fireclay for kitchen, Kohler utility stand sink for mudroom bath, Bancroft pedestals for 2 powder rooms and daughter's bath. All toilets are Kohler Bancroft. I have lever American Standard faucets for mudroom bath and laundry room. Wet bar has coordinating fixture from same collection. All the handles are the french drop style shown in last picture.
    Here are some pics,the 4th pic is powder, 5th is bathtub, 6th is showers, the master bath has one like the kids and then the exposed. I think that fixture alone threw dh into shock as it was more than his 1st car.

Kitchen and bath

Everything is Chrome. I am sure the kids probably didn't need thermostatic control showers and honestly can't remember why I chose that. It has been almost 2 years since I picked these out so rough in was done and I am stuck, oh well. They will be nice but probably could have saved some money there. I am so excited to see these things installed, we are getting ready to do finish plumbing in about 30 days. Keep your fingers crossed.

• igloochic
    15 years ago

Quality of the flush Ed :oP Frankly all toilet research was boring, but it was informative. Memoirs is one of my boring toilets...it's a very pretty toilet and great quality, but I've recently been learning more about the toto flush and they just sound like a better system. The memoirs is no slouch, but I just wanted to try a sexier flush system :oP

(My way of saying "I don't know...I'm going with the hype on the toto being the best") :oP

• marlene_2007
    15 years ago

acountryfarm....everything you've chosen is elegant...it reminds me of the exquisite Ritz Carton bathrooms in San Francisco.

I saw just a little bit of your cabinetry in the yellow paint thread and it looks great. Is your cabinetmaker near Portland, Or?

• acountryfarm
    15 years ago

marlene 2007,
    my cabinet maker is in Eugene. A wonderful craftsman as well as a good friend. I have shared before how much I spent on cabinetry and most feel it was an incredible amount of cabinetry for what I pd. He does solid wood boxes, full ext. drawers as stock. It might be worth having them made here and pick them up. We pd. about $50,000 for all our cabinetry. We have 6 bedrooms, 7 bathrooms, and built-ins in almost every room. He told me it was 415 lineal feet of cabinets. I would love to give you his contact info if you want it. Can send more pics as well, do have lots of pics. Thanks for compliments.

Also: On toilets I honestly wish I had heard about the Toto before I ordered, but petty much too late now.

• allison0704
    15 years ago

We have the Toto Drake's and their Soft Close lids - heavenly. No more slamming. We've been in 31 months and have not stopped one up. Has to be a record. lol

Scrimping on faucets only buys you headaches down the road. I have a Rohl farmhouse faucet in the kitchen, Newform from Italy in the laundry room and coffee station (old world looking faucets, not the modern ones they sell). I bought RH Bistro faucets for the bathrooms and showers. Love them - in both ORB and BN. I can't remember who our wall mounted faucet is by in the powder room but I ordered the sink from Stone Forest.

acountryfarm, that's not a bad price for all of your cabinets.

• edlakin
    15 years ago

do you honestly think that buying fixtures like that is "not scrimping"?

i mean, buying a toyota over a hyundai is "not scrimping". but that's not what we're dealing with here. you guys are talking bentley and rolls royce.

you're correct that it pays to invest in good quality fixtures, but this stuff goes way beyond that. it's totally indulgent.

i'm not saying that there's anything wrong with totally indulgent, but let's be honest, shall we? it seems like some people feel the need to rationalize and make excuses for such indulgent, luxurious purchases. if that description fits, you should ask yourself why that is.

• lisapico
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I don't know, correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't this thread call out to you highend fauceters?? I do not believe anyone who has replied is rationalizing anything - for me I'm careful whom I choose to speak with about what I buy but in this forum I think we can feel obliged to shout to the heavens on our exhorbinantly priced faucets! If you don't connect with this, fine. If you do, by all means folks, chime in!!

• allison0704
    15 years ago

Wow. I wasn't talking about my Rolex, just my faucets. *eyes rolling*

What I meant was, buying a cheap faucet at Home Depot (for example) made of plastic that looks like stainless steel is skimping on faucets. Or buying something simply because It's so cheap you cannot believe it - because they will not last long and it won't be a matter of replacing a part. The entire faucet will need to be replaced, which can sometimes be a major headache.

Next time, I will make my answer Encyclopedia-worthy so that my words are not misconstrued.

• edlakin
    15 years ago

no, i totally got what you were saying. didn't misunderstand anything.

what i'm saying is that there's a HUGE gray area between home depot (which i agree is crap) plastic stuff and the ultra-high end stuff that's being discussed here.

and, yes, this topic was clearly labeled as being about high end stuff, but let's not pretend that the only reason you guys are buying this stuff is so it won't break down later. that's just a rationalization and you guys know it.

it's an indulgence. it's a luxury. which, again, is fine. if it gives you pleasure, then it's worth it. some of these fixtures are truly beautiful, like a piece of sculpture, and i can totally understand why someone would pay $1200 for a kitchen faucet.

but it's not because they want to make sure it doesn't break down later. and it's not because the only other option is home depot plastic garbage. if they say that's why, they're being dishonest, and i have to wonder why.

bottom line--you buy these type of fixtures because you want to indulge yourself and have beautiful luxurious items in your home. so let's stop pretending that's not the reason.

honestly, i'm pretty amused at how defensive you guys are about these observations. you like nice stuff and have the money to buy it for yourselves. that's nothing to be ashamed of.

• marlene_2007
    15 years ago

acountryfarm...oh...I wish I were closer...I think I need a cabinet person closer so that he can make and install and correct as needed. I would love to see more pictures of your beautiful home though!

Marlene

• allison0704
    15 years ago

ROTFLMAO I don't think anyone is defending themselves. Merely talking. fwiw, I didn't pay 1200 for a faucet. I didn't pay 1K for a faucet. I could have, without eating rice for dinner, but I don't over indulge. I don't have to have the Roll Royce of faucets. I'm happy with the Leuxs line.

It's a luxury - never said it wasn't. My HD comparison was an extreme said in jest, because I find your posts so amusing this evening.

We were in our last home over 20 years and plan on staying her 20 or more...so yes, for me, I purchased high quality items that shouldn't need replacing during our time here.

• jasonmi7
    15 years ago

Huh. Guess I don't understand why ol' eldakin is so upset by all this. Or why they can't figure out how to type and use capitaization. Very odd.

• allison0704
    15 years ago

Maybe she/he thinks using capitalization is an indulgence or a luxury. :D

• edlakin
    15 years ago

i'm not upset, just responding to what i'm reading. when i see people claiming that it's either perrin and rowe or home depot (fictional example), my bullsh*t detector starts beeping.

oh, and i don't always capitalize when participating on internet discussion boards, because it's an informal mode of communication, so i don't feel the need to make my posts grammatically correct. i prefer to just type quickly and not worry about hitting shift to capitalize.

i'm sure you can relate to that, jason, since you misspelled "capitalization" in your post above while criticizing my lack of it. heh. i love irony.

• allison0704
    15 years ago

So you're saying, if someone has a preference to say only use Waterworks faucets in their home, you're BS detector starts beeping - saying what, that they must be fibbing? You lost me on that one.

I used one type of faucet in all of my baths for the simple reasons I loved the look, they are well made and I wanted consistency through-out our home. I used different cabinetry in the bathrooms but the same countertops.

I looked at numerous kitchen faucets before selecting that one since I wanted a single lever to turn on/off.

• lisapico
    Original Author
    15 years ago

"Whether you're a home buyer, an antique collector, or a renovator, here you will find like-minded people and friendly discussions." This is verbatim from gardenweb.

This particular discussion is definitely not representative of the ideals this forum advocates - I think we know who we're talking about. Please, out of mutual respect for other posters, keep your unneeded criticisms to yourself. Thanks.

• edlakin
    15 years ago

lisa, i'm just responding now to direct questions people are asking me or remarks directed to me. i'll refrain from addressing you directly or commenting on anything you post from now on.

So you're saying, if someone has a preference to say only use Waterworks faucets in their home, you're BS detector starts beeping - saying what, that they must be fibbing? You lost me on that one.

no, i'm saying that if they say the reason they chose waterworks faucets is because they want to make sure that their faucets last a long time and don't break, and try and portray it as if the only options are waterworks and home depot, that's what sets my BS detector a-flutter.

• marlene_2007
    15 years ago

Allison, I just looked at your kitchen in the FKB...it is a masterpiece!

• allison0704
    15 years ago

Thank you, that's always nice to hear. There's not a day I don't pinch myself. lol

There are more/better pictures on Attic Mag's Kitchens We Love. You can click to enlarge.

Here is a link that might be useful: More photos

• terible
    15 years ago

Off topic but wonderingŅpeople seem out of sorts lately, not just here but everywhere. I call a friend sheÂs in a funk, forums that are always nice seem to be in a funk, and some of my neighbors are in a funk. By funk I mean a little less patient and down than usual, a little more easily annoyed. Maybe it has something to do with the political climate, strong opinions on certain candidates and uncertainty. I have noticed that people just arenÂt themselves lately. If people can afford what they buy itÂs not our worry. CanÂt we just all get along and play kitchen like we used too? IÂve learned so much here.

• napagirl
    15 years ago

terible - those are my sentiments, too.

Now, getting back to On Topic ...
    Am I crazy to lust after Perrin & Rowe for my M.Brm shower? The first time I saw it in the showroom I fell in love ... nothing else has brought a smile to my heart. We're doing a major overhaul of the whole house (new kit, bathrooms, flooring, you name it) and planned to finish the kitchen first, so if we had to cut costs we would do it in the bdrm/bathrooms. But the rough plumbing valves need to go in now, so I need to decide now (can't wait any longer).

So am I crazy? BTW, you can only see the fixture when you're taking a shower.

• rmkitchen
    15 years ago

edlakin doesn't need me to chime in but I want to say I think either people are misconstruing his/her sentiments or I am. When I read his/her posts, I genuinely didn't pick up on anything defamatory or judgmental, just an observation that there aren't only two choices: super-duper high or super-duper low.

When I read allison's comment about "scrimping" I absolutely understood what she meant and wholeheartedly concur, and I believe edlakin did, too. I think s/he is helping give us all a mental goose ....

I know I've been guilty of thinking only the high or the low, and quite recently too! When I finally found the marble for our countertop and then learnt its ridiculous price I wrote in here for moral support (and received nothing but the most gracious and generous responses, inc. much lovely hand-holding from napagirl). I was so completely enmeshed in my search for countertops that all I could see was "it's either this outrageously priced marble or plywood." From one extreme to the other. I was exactly what edlakin described, and of course there were lots and lots of middle grounds. I was so fixated I could not see them.

For to me those middle grounds were unacceptable, and to spend any money at all on them would have been a complete waste. I mean, it would have been wasteful to my personal budget to spend that kind of money on something which made me feel "feh" every time I looked at it / used it. I would have resented it and kicked myself because I would not have been able to come back and replace those half-a**ed countertops had I gone with one of those "feh" marbles. (I can only afford to do it once, so I better do it right!)

Same, too, for all these lovely fixtures people are describing. We all use our bathrooms on a daily basis. Absolutely we should purchase that which a) works and b) gives us aesthetic and functional pleasure so long as it's within our budget. But it would be churlish (as I was) to say: "well, it was either the Lamborghini or the Yaris." (and I drive a Honda minivan!)

So no napagirl, I don't think you're crazy to love your P&R shower. You bathe daily and if it makes you swoon, why not? It's your house and you should enjoy it! (like me, because I ended up getting "our" dreamy marble)

Oh yeah, I also like the all-minuscule of edlakin's posts -- it's personality. Some people liberally sprinkle those emoticons around and there's one poster here whose writing reminds me of haiku. It's just beautiful!

Can you imagine a world with Christopher Walken's unique delivery? I don't want to!

• igloochic
    15 years ago

Well geeze I missed a whole discussion.

Ed, I purchased a $1,200 faucet..so let me respond. You are completely incorrect in saying that I purchased it for the sheer joy of having luxuries around me (at the sink??? Ok whatever). Anyhoo, here's my mindset when purchasing almost anything, but particularly plumbing.

First, I have to define a style or need to be met. In my main kitchen sink I wanted a rinse faucet, but I don't like the rinse feature alone, I also wanted a typical faucet. So my choice was to go with two faucets, or a one piece unit that does both efficiently.

So then I start looking at what my options are. I have a finish in mind, so that narrows it a bit, and then there's a size issue...over so many inches and I need wall support which I won't have due to picture windows.

So then when narrowed down to a reasonable number of choices, I researched quality of brands. KWC stands by a very well made product. In rinse faucets, in today's market, there's some real crap out there as manufacturers have rushed to market without enough testing to meet demands. KWC has made their particular faucet (Systema) for several years for use in the commercial market, and it has reviews that date back significantly. SOOOO I bought a $1,200 faucet ed. Because it met my needs, featured all options I wanted, and met my rigerous quality standards for plumbing.

My Danze faucets were SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper, but preformed as well in reviews. Again I went with a form necessary to meet my needs and looked at my options.

I don't start at the top of the line and work down...I start my research and determine what meets needs, looks great, and has stood the test of time. This is why I have a Lacanche range, standing close to a Kitchen Aide Dishwasher and Trash Compactor. The KA's were a great deal less than some fancier brands, but the fancy brands reviews didn't cut it...so KA it was.

Sure I like nice things, but plumbing??? Come on...I would be HAPPY to spend a couple hundred on a faucet if it met the standards I wanted, and then spend the other $1000 on some nice bling bling for me :)

• napagirl
    15 years ago

Thanks rmkitchen, I appreciate your support.
    I remember when you found your gorgeous marble and how I loved it, too. Can't wait to see it installed!

• acountryfarm
    15 years ago

Wow, looks like being gone for the afternoon has its price :)
    I also will comment as I do definitely have some high end faucets, I thought thats who this thread was directed at.
    I don't think I defended my choices but I will say this:
    I am a mom of 11 children, homeschool all that still live at home , help run 2 restaurants with a total of 45 employees, give to charity, do charity work and have lived in 2200 sq. ft for the last 12 years. Indulgent???? So be it!!!! I do love quality and beauty. Thankfully so does my husband.

p.s. there is a price range for everyone and it isn't the same.

• lisapico
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'm with you all. We started out looking at bottomline faucetry, appliances, etc., and went from there. It's never easy assuming why someone is doing what they're doing. You don't know their story in historical perspective so their purchasing that expensive faucet because of being indulgent isn't an informed opinion. We all come to this forum from all walks of life and circumstances and our choices are for multiple and varied reasons. There is no one size fits all.

I am sure Ed meant well but the tone of his emails have come across to more than one poster as confrontational and negative. It's the very few that find his words non-offensive. At least from what I'm reading here. So far I am finding four to five posters not responding favorably to his comments and only one who is I still don't understand why we can't just let people live and let live. Who cares how much you spend on anything? It's no one's business but our own as far as I'm concerned.

• lisapico
    Original Author
    15 years ago

You're welcome Ed. Really, that wasn't sarcastic. Take care and good luck with your project.

• edlakin
    15 years ago

thanks! same to you! (also not being sarcastic)

• shermstead
    15 years ago

Great thread - keeps us thinking and feeling.

Being a 'serial remodeler' I've purchased my share of high end items. I always say, "Buy right, buy once". I'm hyper visual and I can honestly say that EVERY high end purchase I have made, brings me great continued pleasure. At the same time, I realize that my obsession with detail is my way of trying to exert some control over my environment and my life - which I fully realize I have no real control over!

That's the paradox and beauty of life!

Meanwhile, back to the original question: I love the ROHL Country fixtures in our new kitchen.

• edlakin
    15 years ago

great comment! thanks for posting, sherm.

do you think that something *has to be* high-end in order for you to derive the type of ongoing pleasure you've described?

and, along those lines, how much of the pleasure do you think comes from the knowledge that the item in question was really expensive vs. coming just from it's beauty/functionality?

please don't read negativity into my comments. i'm not trying to assume any sort of moral high ground, as i am just as likely to purchase high-quality things and then derive daily pleasure from using/looking at them.

• allison0704
    15 years ago

For me, something doesn't have to be high end in order to bring me pleasure - visually or functionally. Things I've paid little for, whether on trips or at local antique stores, bring me as much joy to see and/or use than things I've paid a higher prices for.

If someone buys, for example, a faucet, handbag or lamp only due to the high price tag instead of its beauty/function, they need to step back and ask themselves why they feel the need to do so.

• cotehele
    15 years ago

Just reading down this thread, the thought that struck me immediately, was this: Everyone who posted is interested to some degree in the OP thread topic or we wouldn't be reading here. Folks shouldn't be challenged to or feel the need to defend a choice.

I doubt any of us can afford everything we want in our kitchens. I read posts to learn about products, styles and alternative choices. And, I am having fun! I feel like I have many distant acquaintances and a few kindred (old house) spirits on GW! :D

• lisapico
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I derive pleasure from the beauty of the faucet not from the knowledge that I paid an arm and a leg from it. Although I know some people who get their oomph, shall I say, simply by knowing they paid a fortune and the design aesthetics are not an important part of their equation. I think Ed maybe that's what you're getting at.

So, on that note, if I were to find a faucet that was just as beautiful as my Kallista and the research showed that functionally it was great too, then I'd buy it without hesitation.

• igloochic
    15 years ago

"do you think that something *has to be* high-end in order for you to derive the type of ongoing pleasure you've described?"

Nope :) My copper sinks from mexico are gorgeous and cost so little in comparison to their silly faucets :oP What I derive ongoing pleasure from is the entire design astetic, not one piece or another due to the "high-endness" of that particular item. Honestly though...one place I do really derive pleasure from is my powderroom onyx sink..which run around a grand here in town. I paid $170. It's a GORGEOUS sink :) And I love it, and I'd love it for full price as well...it's onyx so who wouldn't...but I get a huge amount of pleasure looking at it, and knowing I saved a ton of money purchasing it as well :)

"and, along those lines, how much of the pleasure do you think comes from the knowledge that the item in question was really expensive vs. coming just from it's beauty/functionality?"

So there ya go...my onyx sink is beautiful and functional...and it was inexpensive, and I love that I was able to acheive all of that for a bargain. I don't spend money just for the sake of spending money. I actually get a kick out of not paying retail...which is a big joke with the mister. He is amazed I'll drive out of my way on vacation to hit the outlet malls when I could just order something on line. I wasn't raised with the ability to purchase full price everything...and my frugal grandad's teachings still come into play, just in a different way.

"please don't read negativity into my comments. i'm not trying to assume any sort of moral high ground, as i am just as likely to purchase high-quality things and then derive daily pleasure from using/looking at them."

I don't think you are entirely "negative" but I do think you enjoy a good debate and might be being contrary on purpose to stir one up. But I love a good debate as well so that's ok with me ;oP

You picked on my Lacanche...so let's go for it:

I also looked at a Molteni...actually I looked at a Molteni first since that was our prefered range. Why? Performance was a major factor after researching professional/professional style ranges. Every one who's anyone around here has a viking (because that's the one the high end store sells here). YUCK Vikings are crap, not cheap crap, but their reputation was enough for us to look elsewhere. We talked to a couple of chefs, and a Molteni was their dream range, so we took a look at it.

So what's so special about a Molteni? They're built like a tank (so it's an earthquake shelter heh heh KIDDING) but they do last a hundred years, and that's not a bad thing when you're popping down major dough on a range. Secondly there's burner production and oven production, both are great with a Molteni, La Cornue or Lacanche. So since we're into buying just for the sake of buying, why didn't we go with the La Cornue or Molteni? Oven configuration, door swing, and cooktop configuration played major factors in our decision making. The retailer in Portland also did so we headed down to look at the Lacanche and it met the needs (door swing, oven configuration, and cooktop configuration). And it's a nice treat that it was quite a bit less than the other two, more in lines with the price of a Wolf or Viking. Wolf also met our needs, but the style wasn't what we wanted, and Lacanche offered more options at the same price point.

Can I bake a pie in either...of course I can. Is the pie better in the Lacanche/Molteni/La Corneau? Yes it most likely is. The smaller oven configuration and tight cooking spaces help seal in the flavors better. Is it a subtle difference? Sure but it's there. It's there more so when it comes to a steak, because we can get the burners hot enough to sear in the juices quickly, which you can't do well on a standard electric range. And it really matters with the wok, which a regular range can't heat hot enough to really cook well in. You get a crisper product with more heat and less cooking time when using a wok, and that's important in the quality of the food. You can easily tell which was cooked over the right heat.

We use our oven to it's fullest potential. We like the european style of smaller ovens, and we love the cook top. We can cook better than granny did on her old GE :) Now when you make a cup of tea? Who's to know which cooktop heated the water? I don't know if the taste is better...but my cup will be hot and steeped and I'll be sitting on the couch enjoying it while you're still heating up your water :oP