Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
breezygirl_gw

Pick a faucet for my Moderne tiled bathroom/tub

breezygirl
13 years ago

Please excuse my one last OT post!! You all know how desperate I am for help this week! I'll say 10 Hail Kitchen Forums as pentance. I posted on the Bath Forum, but I wanted your discerning eyes also.

I've been waffling on a tub filler for my 100 gallon bathtub and the other bath faucets for a year. I NEED to decide today so the plumber can do the rough-in. Please help me decide.

I'm going for a chic and elegant, yet vintage-y, yet modern look. How's that for a description! ;) Here's my bathroom layout if it matters. I think I'll move the tub filler to the right on this drawing.

The 7' tall, 6' wide wall behind the tub will have this tile in white on it:

My Kohler Ladena undermount sink is is very rectangular. As is the huge Kohler tub, which contrasts with the big circles on the tile:

The tub filler has been difficult to decide on because I need one with a high flow rate. My tub deck is rather small, so I was hoping for one with a built-in diverter to eliminate one "thing" on the deck. I've narrowed my choices down to four.

1. Aquabrass Volare

PRO: Love the look

CON: 9" tall, plus my plumber doens't have much experience with this brand

2. Delta Veris

PRO: 15 gpm and cheap

CON: 10" tall

3. Grohe Allure

PRO: low profile

CON: expensive! and no built-in diverter

4. Hansgrohe Metris S

PRO: DH likes it

CON: I don't

Which one?

Comments (28)

• Fori
    13 years ago

I like 2. Circles and squares.

Why don't you like it high?

• ideagirl2
    13 years ago

I like 2 also.

Which way is your head going to be in the bath? If the faucet's down by your feet, you might want to avoid option (4) because with knobs like that it will be impossible to adjust it with your toes (as we lazy tub-soakers sometimes like to do).

• breezygirl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Fori. The #2 Delta is cheap so DH will like that!! I guess I wanted something low profile. I've never seen a roman tub filler in a real bathroom so I thought the tall one might look out of place. Now I don't care I guess. I just want this decision to be over!!!

• breezygirl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

LOL Ideagirl! I don't like the looks of #4 anyway so that would be my last choice.

Does anyone have a bias against a cheap Delta faucet? Are they good quality?

• pricklypearcactus
    13 years ago

#2 followed by #3. I really like #2 though. Delta is good quality and fairly easy to repair (relative to some other brands). The combination of sleek lines with the delicate curve is just fantastic. I think it echos your bathroom selections very well (the sleek rectangular tub and the circular tile design). Your bathroom is going to be absolutely lovely. The Kohler tub is sleek and the tile is yummy. I look forward to seeing the finished product.

• breezygirl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Prickly (and for the info in Baths too) for your vote. I thought Delta was probably an OK product until I found GW and learned about the higher-end ones! Then I turned into a faucet snob. ;(

• harrimann
    13 years ago

I vote for #2. I like the combination of curves and lines.

• flwrs_n_co
    13 years ago

Breezy, congratulations on making the decision on your tile! I love it! (See, you can make a decision! LOL!)

My vote is for #2 because I think it will complement your tile beautifully (and I like the idea of being able to adjust water flow with your toes)!

• breezygirl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Mcmjilly--Thanks!

Flwrs--I AM making decisions today! It feels so good! Tile behind the tub is decided. Tiled shower floor decided and custom tile pan ordered. Each decision makes the next one a bit easier. #2 is popular!

• User
    13 years ago

I like #2 also. Graceful and modern.

• breezygirl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

OK, all you #2 fans. Do you like the sink faucet that goes with the tub filler? They will be very near each other. I'm not sure I do.....

• Stacey Collins
    13 years ago

I like #2 for the tub, too, for the way it echoes the tile... but I agree I don't love the lav faucet. I had a similar issue in my master bath. I found a lav faucet and shower valve trim I loved (Kohler Purist) but didn't like the tub filler. I ended up using a Jado tub set even though it wasn't an exact match and was within 5 feet of the lav faucet. The "feeling" was the same and that was enough. I think it looks great even though its not an exact match.

Also wanted to add: have you seen all of these faucets in person? You might want to go look at them in person. I found that some I liked on screen or in print were just all wrong in person. Too large, too clunky, or whatever.

• Fori
    13 years ago

Um...no I don't like that! I don't suppose you could stand using the two-handled version of the lavatory faucet could you? Cuz I like THAT one. (And apparently I plan on using your bathroom.)

• Fori
    13 years ago

I should add that perhaps two handles (for my benefit) on the lavatory faucet would be more palatable with a TapMaster.

• remodelfla
    13 years ago

I have to vote Grohe Allure since that is what I got for my master bath. Not installed yet though!

• breezygirl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Staceyneil--Yeah, I don't like the lav faucet either. I remember now why that tub filler wasn't my first choice--I don't like the lav faucet. I'm going to look around tonight to see if I can find one that would look decent with the tub filler. And I have not seen any of these in person. I've pestered the poor plumbing supply showroom lady so much over the past year that I wanted to get it narrowed down like this before I contacted her again. Hopefully she's got the Delta there. I know she doesn't have any Aquabrass on display. Thanks for the suggestion.

Fori--This is why picking my faucets has been so hard! I do NOT want a two handle faucet. Nope. Putting my foot down, even if you'll be using my bathroom. ;)

Remodelfla--Isn't it pretty? I like the spout, but not the fact that it has a seperate diverter. We have good taste, don't we?! ;)

• blfenton
    13 years ago

I too, like the Delta for the tub. What does the Grohe Allure sink tap look like.(#3) The lines are quite similar, could they be mixed with the Delta?

• breezygirl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Good thought Blfenton. Here it is.

I think it could work. What do you think?

• jtkaybean
    13 years ago

Yes! I like those together!
    Gosh, you must be incredibly busy with all the remodeling stuff going on.
    Are you the acting gc too?
    I was a basket case and I only had to worry about my tiny kitchen.

Now I'm tackling my master bath, just got Kohler archer faucets which I love...they look so much better irl thank god.

• breezygirl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Jill! I like them together too.

I am busy GCing the whole house reno. It's overwhelming. I could go on complaining about how hard it is, but I've done enough complaining this week. Congrats on liking your faucets IRL. Sooo much better than the alternative!

• blfenton
    13 years ago

They have a lot of similarities and both tie into your tiles. They both have square bases, flat and rectangular handles, a really nice arc to the spouts, and the sink tap says Grohe on it for the "snob" appeal. (Don't get me wrong - I love the fact that my kitchen sinks say Franke and you can read it and notice it )
    I wonder how the finishes will match.

• breezygirl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I like them enough to make a decision, but I stopped when I considered the chrome matching like you mentioned. DH says he doesn't care if they're close. I, of course, care too much. I'll go to Keller on Monday to look at the finishes and see if they have either faucet to touch.

The Grohe costs much more than the tub filler. Did I mention that the Delta is the cheapest tub filler I ever considered? I dismissed it for months thinking I wanted something with more snob appeal!

• davidro1
    13 years ago

IRL the Aquabrass Volare has chrome similar to Grohe's. Volare has a unique handle on lav faucets. Very nice touch. It's not shown in your image. Installing a lav faucet is easy, and a Volare will be too.

• breezygirl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

It's funny Davidro that not one person said they liked the Aquabrass. It was one of my early favorites. I like the handles, especially on the lav faucet. Do you know how the Delta chrome compares?

• davidro1
    13 years ago

Also, you can get the tub filler with the unique Volare specific handles too. It's in the catalog. Page 71 out of 229 page

• Stacey Collins
    13 years ago

I really like the last combo you show above with the Grohe lav faucet.

• User
    13 years ago

I don't think you have to worry as much about chrome matching from one maker to another, as you would with other finishes. I've got a chrome bathroom with Kohler tub filler and shower head, Moen shower control valve thing (what IS that called?), Delta lav faucet and towel bars, sconces from one light manufacturer, a ceiling fixture from another, a tub drain assembly that the plumbers chose, and a shower curtain rod whose origin I couldn't tell you either.

I just went in and scrutinized, in the best light I could, and can't see any differences in the chrome finishes whatsoever, spaced as they are through a smallish bathroom.

• breezygirl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Stacey--Thanks for the vote. I like that too.

Mnerg--Your comments help a lot. When I first started looking at faucets mor than a year ago, the showroom women told me I had to get all the faucets from the same "collection" or "suite." I've been slowly branching out from there to a bathroom with each faucet being a different colection AND brand! THanks!