Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kimiko232_gw

Tile above window- last minute decision- husband tiling now.

kimiko232
11 years ago

Hi,
I'm trying to figure out if I should tile above the window. I was planning on it, but now I'm second guessing myself. We have a small kitchen. I painted the cabs and my husband is tiling. They are ivory beveled.

Thanks for any insight.
Kim

Here is a link that might be useful: tiling

Comments (18)

• willtv
    11 years ago

I think tiling above the window will make your space look smaller.
    I wouldn't do it for now and live with it for a while.
    You can always add that tile later.
    Nice kitchen BTW

• rococogurl
    11 years ago

I think it will create a focal point and look great!

• jellytoast
    11 years ago

I would say no because the gaps on either side of the window appear to be too small to put tile on and it might look a bit odd to leave them just painted as they are now. If you are going to tile the entire wall, the tile should continue up the wall and surround the sides of the window as well. From what I can see, you don't have enough space there. IMHO only, of course.

• kimiko232
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions thus far. Thankfully, my husband has given me the rest of the night to decide and will start again tomorrow when he gets home from work.

There is enough of a gap that my husband is able to put tiles between the cabs and the window, if that helps.

He is a guy that I can only get to do things once, if you know what I mean. It's now or never. :)

All the pictures I see online have windows with no curtains. Maybe, to make the area look larger. But, we definitely need a cafe curtain (which I haven't made yet.) I don't like people looking in through the back. Our neighborhood's walkways are behind the houses and everyone always spies up at the homes. I have to make sure our doors are shut and things semi put away (you can see everything!) And, we are messy!

Anyway, I thought that running the tile up might make it look larger as there is more white rather than the gray. But, maybe I'm mistaken.

Thanks again!
    Kim

• kiko_gw
    11 years ago

I would tile above; I think it will be pretty. But can you post a shot from further back? Showing more of the whole space? it might affect the answer.

• Holly- Kay
    11 years ago

I think the area above your window would look so pretty with an antique tole tray or three pretty, antique plates, or a framed print hanging there. It would make for a much more interesting focal point than plain tile.

• kimiko232
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I added a couple more, but that's all I have right now.

@ Holly-kay, I know. That's my problem. I can't decide if I want to do something over it such as a picture or something. Ugh!

• cookncarpenter
    11 years ago

I vote for no tile above...

• coco4444
    11 years ago

I would.

(Disclaimer: I'm no design guru.)

• suzanne_sl
    11 years ago

I'm also going with no. I think the proportions of your window to wall is such that it will be better with the tile where it is now.

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

My vote is no. I like it sometimes but not seeing it with your picture. That being said, I am not a designer and I say - Go with what your heart says :-)

• francoise47
    11 years ago

My vote is not to tile above the window.
    I know that tiling all the way up to the ceiling and around the window is on trend right now,
    and industrial-inspired look that also harkens back to the fully-tiled kitchens of the 1920s (at least hear in the mid-Atlantic where I live)

But I don't think tiling all the way up is the right choice for your kitchen. I also think it is nice to have some wall for paint, something that can be changed more easily over the years than tile.

• treasuretheday
    11 years ago

My vote would be no. I don't think there is enough of a visual connection between the space above the window and below so I would treat them separately. Using a wall color that is similar to your tile color would help your space look larger and more cohesive, IMHO.

• localeater
    11 years ago

I vote no. I think it will look too busy in the space.

• nosoccermom
    11 years ago

Another no. You may want to add artwork, a shelf, blinds, a totally different paint color, whatever at one point in the future. Plus, I think it will look kind of claustrophobic with tile between the cabinets.

• jerzeegirl
    11 years ago

I don't think you should tile above the window. It will make the window look squat and make the ceiling seem low (and heavy). It looks nice the way it is.

• Vertise
    11 years ago

How about a distance shot?

• blfenton
    11 years ago

I don't think I would either. I'm afraid it would detract from your window moulding which is pretty and make the area too fussy. I like it as is.