Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stefaniebb

type of microwave for in island?

Stefaniebb
13 years ago

Hi,

I haven't been successful in searching the forum for this- does anyone have a microwave in their island? If so what do I need to look for? Will any counter micro work or does it have to be a particular type? I had a built in previously with the convection so I am not sure if I can just go buy a regular one.

Thanks for any advice/input/tips!

Comments (16)

• melissastar
    13 years ago

YOu're talking about putting it under the counter, right?

There are drawer-type ones, which some people swear by. But I've recently plopped my regular old counter-type microwave into a space built for it under the counter and I gotta say, I love it. I find it no less convenient to reach down slightly than I used to, to reach up slightly to the cabinet it was set in. (It's never actually been ON a counter). And it's much cheaper and easier to replace when it dies than the drawer ones. Just make sure there is enough space on either side and in back for air-flow.

• rikerk
    13 years ago

melissastar did you use a trim piece to build it in? or just place it in the space. Can you post a photo if you get a chance. I am also trying to figure out where to put my microwave because at the last minute I decided to go with a chimney hood instead of OTR and our cabinets were already ordered. Under the island may work if I convert the Base 30 cabinet.

• breezygirl
    13 years ago

At a taller height like me, I would HATE to stoop down/lean over every time I use the MW. If I put a regular MW under the counter, that's what I'd be doing. It would drive me bonkers.

I'm doing a MW drawer in my island instead. I was resistant to them at first, but when I knew that under the counter was the best spot for the MW in my new kitchen I caved to the idea. The leaning down routine was the lesser of the two options.

I think it depends on your height and MW usage. A regular countertop MW stuck in a hole might work for you. As Macy said, check the MW specs to see how much clearance you need behind, on top, and on the sides.

• breezygirl
    13 years ago

Oops. I referenced Macy when I meant Melissa.

You can put a MW drawer in either a 30" or 24" cab.

• doonie
    13 years ago

It is still a cheap thrill for me to use my microwave drawer! We do lots of rewarming of leftovers. I am thrilled with the drawer in my island. The newer versions have the handles that sick out less into the aisle. (That would be my only mildly irritating con.)

• Buehl
    13 years ago

Like BreezyGirl...a regular MW placed under the counter would drive me nuts! I'm only 5'10" and I'd have to lean down (or squat) pretty far to access the interior. For my taller family (5'11" to 6'6"), it would be even worse!

Remember, it's not just the front of the MW that you have to access, but also the interior and, unless you lean way over or squat down, you'll be blindly reaching into that MW for that hot food!

• nini804
    13 years ago

We are getting the sharp mw drawer in the island of the kitchen we are building. I hope I like it! I like the look of it!

• melissastar
    13 years ago

Hey stephanie: I'll post a pic tomorrow after I've had more chance to do some cleaning up. I do not have any trim around mine, but have left the empty space. Some folks may find that offputting, but it doesn't bother me and I know that when this micro dies (it's 8 years old) , another will fit in. At that point, with a new one, I might have trim made to fit. The interior of the cabinet is painted the same color as the exterior and to me, it looks fine.

In response to the opposing comments (and everyone's different, I know....) two things, I've found to be true. First, I had planned on a 27" cab, because I had a 23" microwave. Needed a 30"...in part because the cabs had full inset doors, so a lot of space was taken up on the sides.

And second, I'm NOT particularly tall...5'5". I find I have to lean over only a little to get things out...it's not the same as, say getting a large heavy pan out of the oven. In part that's because the door isn't in front of you, so you are closer to the microwave. And in part it's because it's usually smaller, lighter stuff that's coming out of the microwave. As Buehl says you are reaching into the interior, but you're not reaching to the back of the microwave. In most cases, I'm really only reaching to the front, to get a container of butter I've melted or a plate of food being reheated. On the occssion when it is , say a full casserole dish of hot food, yes, I have to reach to the middle of the microwave with hot pads, but for me, I still find it as comfortable and secure as grabbing and lowering a steaming dish from head height in a cabinet. On the counter would clearly be the best height, but...who wants that thing on your counter?

So, I guess you need to think about how tall you and family are, what you microwave and whether you prefer to reach or stoop!

• Stefaniebb
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi
    Thanks for all the great comments/ideas. Actually I am kind of tall 5/7 but DH is 6'7 so tall! LOL
    I also have a warming drawer under the double wall ovens and ran out of room for the microwave and KD offered the in the island so I thought I would rather that than place it on the counter. I really don't use the microwave that often- kids use it more for popcorn etc so I think the lower height won't be too much of a pain- I mean before I had to bend down to get into my regular slide in oven that was a big pain for large turkeys etc and the double wall ovens will make that part much more easier- so figured the microwave bending was the least of my use/concern.
    I am happy to hear that I can just use a regular counter MW and need to figure size/clearance- we just completed demo of kitchen and tile flooring all the way down hall to foyer so I guess I will wait to get to see the room I have to work with before purchasing.

• maks_2000
    13 years ago

What do I love about my Sharp Microwave Drawer? Everything! I am 5'3" & had never wanted to bend down to get things in & out of the microwave. The best thing I like is being able to open the drawer & have the hot dish open in front of me (or beside me if I stand beside it). I am able to stir the hot contents without removing the dish. I can stir, turn, test the temperature & never move the dish.

I can also determine how far I want the door to open by toggling with the open or close button, so if I only need the drawer partially opened I can stop it -- that way I don't have to wait on it on have to worry about clearance. (The placement of my MWD is such that I have a 42" clearance so I'm not really concerned about being in the way, but if you are in an island this may be something you consider.)

We also use the "sensor" cooking settings -- especially for popcorn. There is also a beverage setting that works nicely. I have been able to control the reminder "chimes" so it will chime once when complete or continue to chime with reminders that are spaced for 3 to 5 minutes.

Especially if you are considering a built in or the added expense of a kit I reccommend you consider the MW Drawer. Everything is at your fingertips!

Good luck!

• blfenton
    13 years ago

We just finished our kitchen and put an ordinary microwave with a trimkit under the counter. I can't wait for that thing to die so that I can put in a drawer. It was more expensive and when we were trying to trim costs the drawer went and we got a regular MW. I can't stand it.
    I'm 5'8" and hate bending over to get stuff out. Also, we have hardwood floors and when I take stuff out the bottoms of the containers drip onto the floor unless you put a cloth under them right away. If you have the drawer you just lift up and onto the counter.
    (MMMMM actually DH is taking his mom away to visit family - maybe I'll replace it when he's away).

• rikerk
    13 years ago

blfenton that is so funny. My daughter asked when DH was going to be away so that we can switch the furniture in the Family room. I really want one of those sharp drawers but was going to wait. Maybe I will just bite the bullet and do it. Where is the most reasonable place to buy them & do they ever go on sale?

• lascatx
    13 years ago

I just skipped over a few replies. I have a micro drawer and have been using it over 3 years now. Love it. Definitely the best under counter option. Period.

But, what I wanted to say, if it isn't too late, is that the warming drawer under your ovens might also be better in your island or another location where you have easier access. In discussions here, it seems like those under ovens are least used and those under counter near the cooktop or path to the table are probably most used. Just a thought......

• breezygirl
    13 years ago

Rikerk--check out ajmadison dot com for a good price comparison and google the model your interested in. Sometimes you'll find free shipping or a sale. Check local stores too for pricing. They may have an occasional floor model on sale. I don't even have a MW drawer within 30 miles for me to look at IRL, but you may live in a more metro area.

There are a couple of Sharps out there. Make sure you compare the specs on ajmadison or Sharp or wherever to see which one you want. My appliance person told me that one has a much bigger interior space than the other.

• function_first
    13 years ago

Be sure to check to see if you have a Sears Outlet in your area. I hadn't even realized Sears had outlets, much less that we had one around here, but they posted a couple microwave drawers on Craigslist -- we raced out there and got one that works great for $400.

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor