Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cathy725

Do you have carrera marble backsplash? Is it kitchen friendly?

cathy725
10 years ago

I'm in the middle of my remodel and I'm trying to figure out my backsplash. I've got some carrera marble 3" x 6" tiles that might be the answer. It looks good with the current paint, but until I get the granite in, I won't be able to make a final decision.

What has been your experience on how this type of backsplash holds up to cooking, grease, splashes, etc. I will seal the marble and the research I've done shows that sealing it will help keep it looking good. I've found more information on marble countertops than actual marble backsplashes in use (lots of pretty pictures, though).

Thanks for any information on marble backsplashes in action. My granite will be volga blue, my walls are a light gray, and I think this might work for my backsplash!

Comments (10)

• Madeline616
    10 years ago

I have a marble slab b-splash behind my range. It's Vermont Danby, and it's very white.

My marble is sealed with Porous Plus 511, and I have no problems at all with staining on my b-splash, even when tomato sauce, etc. splatters and I don't notice it/wipe it until the next day. I may be able to find some small oil marks that have been neglected, if I look very closely, but it basically still looks like the day it was installed, about 14 mos. ago.

I probably have etches from those types of splashes, but IMO, etches are hard to see on a b-splash unless the light is exactly right. (My counters, on the other hand, are full of very visible etches!)

I also have a friend with a carrara tile b-splash, she has a large family and does a lot of cooking. It's been about 3 years, and her b-splash has held up beautifully, and still looks great.

• cathy725
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks! Glad to hear splashes, tomato sauce, etc aren't a problem. Like you, I'm not too worried about etching, since the vertical surface will tend to hide it.

I'm hoping once the granite arrives I still like the marble tiles. (I only have a small sample to use right now). It sure would be nice to have that decision made.

• MDBmom
    10 years ago

I also have carrara backsplash and have had no problems at all with it. If I am making red sauce, I just make sure to wipe behind the stove any splashes. Even if it is a few hours, there is no stain left. I also did forget a few times and although you could see a little stain, it faded a few days after wiping. HTH!

• Madeline616
    10 years ago

Cathy, I'd reccomend that you try to get as many of the tiles as possible to look at prior to making a commitment. One reason is that theres a wide vartiation in carrara, especially the stuff they use to make tiles.

Secondly, gray tiles can sometimes "gray out" or look dingy under upper cabs (because of the shadows). This can be really disappointing. (I once scrapped a whole b-splash b/c when installed, it went totally dingy. Had I gotten more sample tiles, I could've avoided that expensive nightmare.)

If you can adhere 10 or so tiles to the wall and live with it for a week or so, looking at it in various lights at different times of the day, it'd be ideal.

• ratrem
    10 years ago

I love ours, it has held up well. I accidentally stained it with a dot of marinara sauce right behind the sink before it was sealed. I used a cotton ball with peroxide taped on it overnight and it took the stain right away. It might have etched it but I wouldn't be able to tell at all. I sealed it that day and no more staining at all in over a year.

Our range came with a bonus backsplash (it cost extra, did not oreder it, but came with the range anyhow) that the installers put in while I was out. Originally I did not want any extra stainless steel, but now I am glad I did as I don't need to worry so much about messy cooking and the marble BS. So I would recommend that if you decide on it.

• cathy725
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Madaline--Thanks for the suggestion. I have about 16 of the tiles so once the granite is in, I can set up the tile and see how I like it in different lights. Gray is a trick color--the wall color I picked looked really gray when I painted a sample on two different walls, but sometimes it reads more blue--which I think will be fine with the volga blue--I'm really happy with the color right now. How do you suggest temporarily adhering the tiles to the wall?

ratrem--Thanks for the info and photos. I'm reusing my stove (which has a backspash or whatever they call it) so that should help with the main splashes. I'm just happy to hear that with sealing there doesn't seem to be much problem with stains.

• Madeline616
    10 years ago

Hi Cathy,

I think another GWer actually recommended using a glue gun to adhere the tiles to the wall--or maybe to a piece of cardboard that you prop up against the wall. I guess you'd sacrifice those sample tiles, but I'm not sure that double sides tape would be strong enough.

• cathy725
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Fivefootzero--Beautiful backsplash! Your cabinets are about the same color as mine, so I love seeing the marble with the cabinets. I like how the outlet covers also blend in very well.

Rumor has it that I could have the granite in as early as end of this week/early next week. I'll post photos for comments! (GC started that rumor, but I won't hold my breath--just cross my fingers!)

• annacday
    8 years ago

I need help! we recently put up a marble tile backsplash in our kitchen (similar to all the photos). We had original beadboard behind it (it's an old house). The tile is polished. Once we put the tile up, a lot of them are turning brown. Could the marble be absorbing the brown stain from the beadboard? I thought that could be avoided since we put the mortar behind the tiles. What can we do?? Is it worth taken them down, cleaning and scrapping them off....would they turn back to their natural color? Or once we add the white grout, will they absorb some of that color?