Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Unlacquered brass and well water....

Posted by threeapples (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 22, 13 at 16:38

Is this a bad combination? I'm about to pull the trigger on an Herbeau flamande kitchen faucet in unlacquered brass and copper--is this a mistake with well water? And, along those lines, what about polished nickel finishes in our bathrooms--a mistake with well water?

For the faucet--is the Flamande an appropriate size and scale for our large Kohler Whitehaven? I really don't know how to figure all this out. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Unlacquered brass and well water....

It depends on the well water. Most well water will need a whole house treatment system if you want to avoid white mineral buildup on everything, including the internal parts of your faucet. Some well water will turn your brass and copper green.

Have your water tested and engage the services of a respected water treatment company to devise you a plan.

o

We have well water too and I decided to not go with a living finish on my waterstone because I knew our hard water would cause a lot of calcium spots and mineral deposits because of the high mineral content. Some people love the patina that is caused by aging and minerals but I wanted mine to retain it's original beauty so I went with a finish that had a clear coat. Beautiful faucet BTW.

o

Thanks, Holly. The faucet I want (Flamande) does not come in a lacquered brass. That leaves the Royale, but I'm not sure I like it as well.

o

I think they are both lovely! You have great taste and honestly if you don't like the natural patina that starts to develop you can always polish it from time to time Good luck, I know you will love it! Please post pics when you get it installed.

o

Well water is not "universal" in qualities. It can be hard as a rock or soft as can be, full of junk or almost pure as R/O water.

Has your plumber or well installer sent samples off to a lab for general testing aside from the bacteria test required for occupancy?

Lots of helpful info over at the plumbing forum..... We wound up using a softening system since ours was very hard. With appropriate treatment, I'd think you could use any type of fixures that you wanted.

o

Thank you GB. Our water is wonderful to drink and no bacteria issues but the spots and discoloration from it is annoying!

o

Our water was tested and it was fine, we recently had a softener installed.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here