Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
my3dogsii

Possible to remove a vitrious china undermount sink from Corian?

Hi folks,

I normally hang out on the Home Dec forum, but have been enjoying the Kitchen one lately - just absorbing all the expertise. Hope you don't mind a bathroom sink question here.

I bought this typically very pricey (to me, at $2000 list for the sink and $1631 for the faucet as shown) Kohler Fables and Flowers sink and faucet yesterday for $150 from Craigslist, complete with the red Corian counter top and white vanity.

I want only the sink and faucet.

We have removed the faucet from the counter top, and have taken the counter top off the vanity, and removed the clips that were holding the sink in.

We are now left with the adhesive holding the under-mount sink to the underside of the Corian vanity top. Does anyone know what product may be able to melt or dissolve the adhesive, in order to remove the sink from the counter top? My friend helping me says that it is more like hard cement than a caulking product. I've linked to the sink online below if seeing its specs, etc will provide any additional information.

Fingers crossed that you will have some suggestions on how to separate the two. Thank-you!

Here is a link that might be useful: Fables & Flowers⢠design on Caxton®

Comments (21)

• speaktodeek
    9 years ago

If the adhesive (white stuff) feels very rubbery, it is likely pure silicone sealant/caulk. This can be chemically de-bonded using a silicone remover such as below. You have to let it soak into the interface between the silicone and the surface to which the silicone is bonded and let it chemically dissolve the bond, which may take a long waiting time. I do not have any information if this product may affect your sink, but it is generally used to remove silicone caulks from porcelain, acrylic, and other bathroom type surfaces.

Here is a link that might be useful: One silicone removal product

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi, Beauty,

Thanks very much, but this isn't a typical silicone caulk product.

" My friend helping me says that it is more like hard cement than a caulking product."

I wish I did know what it is, and will certainly read more about the type of product you've linked.

• greenhaven
    9 years ago

Is it possible to have the countertop cut away from the sink as closely as possible then going at the remaining rim of countertop from above? I am envisioning some very controlled scoring type cuts and careful chipping away.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

mythreedogs:

Using a jigsaw, cut the bowl free from the Corian. Set the fence on a table saw at about 3/8" from the OUTSIDE of the blade. With the blade about 1/2" high, and the Corian against the saw fence, spin the bowl completely. Raise the blade another 1/2" and repeat. Raise the blade as required to cut the Corian free and repeat again.

Clamp the bowl somehow and using a 4" belt sander with a 50 grit belt and a very skilled operator, remove the last of the Corian and sand to flat.

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I thought about that greenhaven...

We have plenty of tools, and I wondered if we did that, or even left a 'rim' of Corian near the sink edge, and then tried a hand held hacksaw blade, to maybe 'saw away' the remaining Corian from the sink edge, by inserting it in the narrow opening in some spots between the adhesive and the sink edge.

I just want to be very careful that we don't cause enough vibration in doing any of this to cause the sink to crack.

I'm lucky that my friend is one who takes his time doing this stuff, where I am eager to see them apart. I need to control my excitement.

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Trebruchet,

Wow! Sounds scary with vibration, but I can picture just what you're saying! How tough are these sinks - you don't think it'll crack with the vibration from the table saw?

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

my3dogs:

The vibration from the table saw would be the least of my worries. If you're pushing down and against the fence, as you should be, there will be minimal vibration.

The pictured adhesive appears to be standard methelmethacrylate solid surface adhesive. Believe it or not, I've heard of guys soaking off these bowls with lacquer thinner and I've had some success with acetone. If you're feeling lucky, you may tap a chisel at the glue line. Tap all around and try to get a "bite", then drive in a tough shim. Continue to tap and shim until the bowl is free, however, no promises with this method. The cracking noise may be really good or really bad. There is no telling what the chemicals or chisels/shims may do to the bowl. The table saw/ belt sander method has much less risk.

• amck2
    9 years ago

Sorry I don't have advice to offer, but just had to say that I can't wait to see how you'll use the pieces in your beautiful home. Great find, my3dogs!

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    Original Author
    9 years ago

We've made a bit of slow progress using a hand held hack saw blade, so we have an 'opening' of about 4". The acetone and lacquer thinner are things I have on hand, but would want to stay right there with it to make sure it doesn't bond back together.
    All of these suggestions are certainly worth trying, and I appreciate all the angles that people have approached this from.

A bit later - I've just been out in the garage assisting the 'surgery' with a Ryobi 18V cordless sawzall, and some shims. We've now got 10" of separation, so I think we will eventually succeed, and some day, it may look more like this pic I found online, if I can decide on a counter top. I have a stone fabricator a mile away who has cut granite and marble remnants for me before, so I hope I can find something that will look good with it.

Thanks so much everyone for the great ideas!

• Terri_PacNW
    9 years ago

Wow..that is lovely...I'm excited to see how this finishes out too..

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    Original Author
    9 years ago

amck and terri - Thank YOU!

I'm sure there are some who will see it and question my sanity, but I have seen this sink and faucet before online and just loved it, but could in NO way afford it. To see it on CL, for originally $249, including the inexpensive vanity it came with, made my heart skip a beat. I had just sold a VHS to DVD recorder/converter on CL, and got $150, so I got up my courage and offered that for this, and he happily took it.

Obviously he doesn't look at home dec as often as I do, so he didn't know what he had there. Once we got the top off, I put the vanity on the Free section of CL, and it was gone in 15 minutes! I'm thinking of taking off the current granite top, sink and faucet in my powder room and putting this on for a change of pace for a while, and making some French Country checked window treatment.

• greenhaven
    9 years ago

I am so glad you are making progress! I am not a "bold" kind of person but that sink and faucet took my breath away, literally. It is a stunner and a most excellent find.

• cookncarpenter
    9 years ago

Yes, I was going to suggest a sawzall in that joint!
    Good luck to you, beautiful sink!

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

I have no idea how to do what you're doing (I wouldn't even try) but wanted to say that like greenhaven, even though I couldn't use it myself, I think that sink is genuinely stunning!

• greenhaven
    9 years ago

sjhockeyfan, don't misunderstand me...I would have snatched that up in a heartbeat and used it, lol! Once in awhile the right kind of "bold" comes along that is exactly the right thing. That would have done it for me!

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I am happy to report that the sink has been excised from the Corian! It's now on my DR table (which tends to be my overflow project room) and I spent a few hours last Saturday looking through the remnants at nearby stone yards here in southern Maine. Yikes - what a variation in price!

In one very close to my home, I saw a remnant of imperial Danby Marble that was beautiful with the sink, as the soft tan in it was picking up the crackle finish in the sink. I made my vanity in the powder room from an antique bureau. I need a top about 23 x 43, and currently have a 3" back splash. That place quoted me $1050.+ :-(

Current top, which I'd save and possibly use again someday, if I tire of the sink above.

I went to a much smaller two man operation, and while they didn't have a remnant that I liked as well, their price, including templating and install, was approx. $400. :-) I left my name and they saw the faucet handle that I lugged around to hold up to the stone, so they know what I'm looking for. I'll check back with them from time to time to see what else they may have.

I also saw this overmount sink in a painted wooden top in the link below, and if I can't find some stone that doesn't break the bank, I may go this route. I could also do some faux marble painting, in either something like the Imperial Danby or what I think the dark green marble is above - Empress Green? I think that a soft white with tan veins, along the line of what I did on this little antique table with gray veins below might be best in my home, though.

Here is a link that might be useful: Another possibility - stained or painted wood

• greenhaven
    9 years ago

I absolutely LOVE that painted wood in the very top picture from your link! That is completely stunning to me! It is a very different fel than stone, definitely a little more rustic or cottage-y, but that is hands down my favorite.

But if you feel that ugly sink is just not worth the trouble I would be happy to relieve you of it's burden. You are welcome.

;o)

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

An undermount sink in a painted wood top is a disaster waiting to happen.

• greenhaven
    9 years ago

Oooh, forgot it was under-mount.

• annkh_nd
    9 years ago

Wood would be fine in my house - I'd never want to actually run water through that gorgeous sink!

It is miles away from my style, but it sure is pretty.

Good luck, OP, finding just the right counter for your treasure!

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, all,

I had hoped to use a marine varnish if I went with wood, to coat my painted finish, but probably best to hang tight until a stone that I love comes along at the right price. It's quite a deep sink that will get little use, though.

I want to thank you ALL for your helpful comments, and to those of you who also love it, a special thanks, for anyone who may think I'm crazy!

Those porcelain handles on my old bureau/vanity are also crackled, and I'll need to change to brass hardware and lighting, but if I do it over time, I think I'll have a lot of fun searching out options. I'm a bargain hunter who loves to create different looks.