Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
grumpydave

GrumpyDave's happy new kitchen

grumpydave
11 years ago

My kitchen renovation started in December and was supposed to be done in one month. Well, that stretched to nearly four months but now it's done!

This is NOT your typical GW white OTK. For a detailed running commentary with TONS of photos go here:

GrumpyDave's new kitchen

Here's the before with bleached oak, blue Corian, and blah tile:

And here's the after:

The old desk converted to a buffet is much more useful.

Blanco Supersingle thanks to the GW forums.

No more blind corners.

Built-in spice cabinet.

Two Super Susans.

On my web page I detail how all the drawers are used. I used to have ALL my utensils in one drawer with no dividers. It was a jumbled mess. Now I can split them between prep utensils in the island and cooking utensils under the cooktop. The organizers keep everything tidy.

My new "everyday" dishes. Dress them up. Dress them down. They go with everything.

Many thanks to everyone on Gardenweb. Lurking here for most of a year taught me a lot and helped me make the right choices.

Product Details
Floor tile
Kulture Woodland porcelain tile purchased from Arizona Tile. The new tile floor may very well be my favorite part of the whole project.
Cabinets
Schrock Brantley in Cinnamon Cherry.
Cabinet hardware
Amerock Essential'Z pulls in satin nickel.
Amerock knobs in the 10 for $20 blister pack, satin nickel.
Countertop
Cambria quartz in Coswell Cream.
Backsplash tile
4x4" Emperador Light tumbled marble bought from Arizona Tile. I was planning for more of a Crema Marfil look but the designer at the tile store convinced me to go with Emperador Light instead. Was she right? Probably.
Sink
Blanco Precis Super Single Silgranit sink in Cafe Brown with color matched strainer and fitted stainless steel grid.
Faucet
KWC Systema in stainless steel.
Soap dispenser
Moen 3942 in classic stainless connected to a Never M/T.
Refrigerator
Electrolux EI23BC36IS counter depth french door with IQ touch. A bit of a gamble with all the bad reviews out there, but the vast majority of complaints are for the in-door water/ice dispenser which I don't have. Thus far this refrigerator has been perfect.
Wall oven
Electrolux ICON E30EW75GSS Designer series 30" single wall oven with wave-touch controls.
Microwave oven
Electrolux ICON E30SO75ESS Designer series high-speed oven. Never used one before but those who have them love them.
Cooktop
Bosch NIT5665UC 500 Series 36" induction cooktop.
Dishwasher
Miele G5705SC Futura Dimension Plus.
Range Hood
Kobe CH2236SQB
Drawer liners
Combination of Cushy Cupboards and Easyliner Solid in taupe. I actually prefer the Easyliner despite CC being all the rage on the Gardenweb. It's available locally and a lot cheaper to boot.
Drawer organizers
MadeSmart bins in granite. Bought at Bed Bath & Beyond. They look great and they were pleasantly inexpensive too. The sizes are a bit inflexible when trying to completely outfit a drawer but in general they worked out just fine.
Overhead lighting
Six CREE CR6 LED retrofit fixtures. I love these so much I replaced all the can lights in my house with them.
Undercabinet lighting
High brightness premium LED light bars from Environmentallights.com.
Soffit lighting
I tried the 4" version of the CREE CR6 LED lights mentioned above but I think I'm going to switch back to standard PAR20 bulbs. The LEDs made for great task lighting but I get enough of that with the overhead and undercabinet lights. The soffit lights lend themselves more to soft ambient mood lighting where the incandescants excel.
Cookware
Demeyere Atlantis series stainless and Scanpan CTX series non-stick. Although not technically part of the new kitchen, the change in cooktop from convection to induction required that I get all new cookware. I'm really looking forward to trying some top notch cookware for once. I certainly could have spent a lot less, and I probably will as I supplement with additional pieces down the road.
Dinnerware
Bryan China bright white wide rim china with a few Food Network brand bowls in Buttercream from Kohl's. Again, not technically part of the new kitchen but who wants to use chipped old dishes in their brand new kitchen? :)

Comments (61)

• suzie2003
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I absolutely love your kitchen. The elements blend very well. I think you're going to have to change you're name to happyDave. I love the rich color of your cabinets and the warmth of your backsplash. Just beautiful!!

• grumpydave
    Original Author
    11 years ago

annsch, the countertop edge is 4cm (1.5") thick with an eased profile. Thanks for asking, you prompted me to add that info to the web page too.

• eriepatch
    11 years ago

Absolutely gorgeous. Love the backsplash

• angie_diy
    11 years ago

What a great transformation! I love it. (And what a great writeup, too.)

• farmgirlinky
    11 years ago

Your drawer arrangements are my favorite part!
    A real cook.
    Lynn

• motherof3sons
    11 years ago

I bet GrumpyDave is no longer Grumpy!!! That is a beautiful kitchen. I love that floor tile! You did a fantastic job and it is just gorgeous. Love the knife organizer. Our cabinetmaker is including one for our "collection."

• 2LittleFishies
    11 years ago

Looks beautiful! I really love it : )

• barbaranh
    11 years ago

Wow! I love it! You did a great job. Now you can be happy, grumpy.

Congrats.

• fouramblues
    11 years ago

Are you an engineer? Your writeup is so precise. :) Your kitchen is very sleek and beautiful!

• modern_mom35
    11 years ago

Beautiful! Congrats! I'm curious about the thickness of your Cambria. Is that 3 cm's or thicker? We are doing quartz too and that is the look we want.

• AnnaA
    11 years ago

GrumpyDave, yes, a happy kitchen. I love the color scheme, the clean organization. Thank you for showing drawers.

I was also impressed with how you were able to enter your summary. Was this a table PDF that you uploaded like a pic? It allowed an easy read of your details. Thanks!

• brianadarnell
    11 years ago

Wow!!!! The new kitchen is so sophisticated. Very pretty.

• debrak_2008
    11 years ago

Really Nice kitchen. How do you like your easy reach upper corner cabinet? What do you keep in it? I have one waiting to be installed. Haven't fiquired out what to use it for yet. Enjoy your new kitchen.

• grumpydave
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you all for the kind comments. Especially thanks to those who perused through the writeup on the web page. I know it's awfully long. Of course, when I started I only expected it to span about a month. I think it might be helpful for those considering a remodel to see just what the process is like and the couple setbacks I had along the way.

I knew the drawer pictures would be appreciated just as they were when Buehl did the same. In case it wasn't obvious there are more drawer pictures near the end of the web page I linked to. I didn't want to go overboard with the pictures in this thread, though I could add more if anyone was interested in something specific.

Modern_Mom: The countertop is a 2cm slab with 4cm edges. The edge profile is the eased edge. I wanted the big slab look. The eased edge is just enough to remove the sharp corner without adding any decoration. I'm really happy with it.

fouramblues: Not an engineer, just a computer administrator with an analytical personality which I guess is just as bad :)

AnnaA: My web page has the same product summary at the bottom. It's an HTML table that I hand coded with a text editor. I pasted the code into the forum post to see if it would work. It mostly did. I had to clean up some extra white space that real HTML would remove upon display but the GW forum leaves intact. After a little cleanup it turned out just fine.

• flwrs_n_co
    11 years ago

From plain jane to scrumptious--congratulations!! I love how you kept the same layout but made it sooooo much more functional as well as beautiful. I'm so glad you did the tile on the diagonal; I think that helps make it look more spacious. Love all of your finishes--they compliment each other perfectly. And I'm absolutely envious of your drawers and organization!

I'm wondering how the edge between the counter and oven turned out. Also, how do you like your induction cooktop? Actually, I'd love it if you'd share your experiences with all your new appliances, including the hood (when you have some time).

Finally, thank you so much for sharing your web page. For those of us who have yet to reno, it's very informative. Amazing how easily 3 weeks can turn into 4 months (and rather scary, too)! Enjoy your beautiful kitchen (and home) in good health for many years to come!

PS Hope you've successfully recovered from your surgery!

• grumpydave
    Original Author
    11 years ago

debrak: I like the new upper corner cabinet a LOT better than the blind corner upper I had there before. The old one just wasn't usable. This new one is. It's not quite as easy as a standard upper because of the double jointed door but having visibility and direct reach all the way into the corner makes it very usable. Mine is for food items along with the standard upper cabinet next to it. I put the lesser used items into the corner cabinet just because it's slightly harder to get at but at least stuff doesn't disappear into the deep dark corner now.

flwrs: I still haven't finished the joint between the counter and the oven cabinet. I bought a couple dark brown colored caulks the other day. I plan to squeeze out a sample of each and see how they match the cabinets. If they do I may caulk the joint. If they don't I'll install a piece of scribe moulding.

I'll share my thoughts on the appliances a little later (loving the cooktop, hating the hood).

Thanks for the well-wishing too. Surgery went well. Recovering well. Doc is a little more optimistic about how good/bad I feel than I am.

• SparklingWater
    11 years ago

The deep, rich tones of your cabinetry and warmth of your Cambria Coswell and backsplash give a heart thump. Love your kitchen transformation: its like a magnet to the eyes.

Hope your days of healing integrate with smells, flavors and comradery in your new kitchen.

• cat_mom
    11 years ago

Great kitchen, and great blog!

• cakelly1226
    11 years ago

I love your cabs and knife drawer- my fab features! But again, I am a dark cab lover too!

• denali2007
    11 years ago

Wonderful! I love your web page read through everything.

• SaraKat
    11 years ago

Great kitchen Grumpy! Beautiful and thanks for the details.

• aries61
    11 years ago

Very nice Grumpy. I like the floors. What's the color of the tile? I looked it up and they had several different colors.Curious how expensive or inexpensive was the tile?

Enjoy your new kitchen. The more kitchens I see, the more confused I get on what to do with mine.

• function_first
    11 years ago

Ah, man! This kitchen rocks. I love it -- and the house, too, wonderful details everywhere I look. Nice, nice work on absolutely everything -- your attention to detail shows in a really wonderful way. Loved reading the blow-by-blow in your blog, thanks for sharing it!

• williamsem
    11 years ago

Wow, that looks absolutely amazing. I agree about the floor making the room look bigger. Having the larger tiles and putting them at an angle was brilliant. I absolutely love the color of your cabinets too!

We got an induction range just before Christmas and also purchased new pots and pans. We love it too! My husband was pushing for gas, but he trusted my research and is very pleased. The info I read on the forums here was extremely helpful.

• hermajesty
    11 years ago

Well no wonder Dave is no longer grumpy! Your kitchen turned out beautiful. Wishing you years of enjoyment. Kudos on a job very well done.

• covingtoncat
    11 years ago

LOVE your title! And your kitchen. I will be visiting your other page soon. That is a serious collection of knives.

Just wondering if you might share your thoughts on the Atlantis line. I am collecting a few pieces here and there, but am also curious about Apolo and the new Industry 5 line.

TIA

• boxerpups
    11 years ago

A great transformation. Love the contrast of colors,
    tiles and cabinetry.
    Truly pretty.
    ~boxer

• finestra
    11 years ago

How do you like the lower corner cabinet/susan? Do you have any trouble getting people (especially younger ones) to close the cabinet without banging it into the frame?

• grumpydave
    Original Author
    11 years ago

aries61: The floor tile is Woodland. Kulture is the brand (or series?). Woodland is one of the four color choices. Unfortunately, my link to AZ Tile shows Gold Mine by default and you have to click on Woodland. It cost me about $4.50/sqft.

covingtoncat: I'm not really qualified to comment much on the Demeyere cookware yet. I have done some cooking with it but I'm still learning it as well. I've seared some steaks a few times and was a little dismayed at how hard it was to clean up. BKF to the rescue!

finestra: I like the storage of the lazy susans. I used to have one susan and one blind corner. Definitely prefer the susan to the blind corner. I really like that they're super susans (no pole in the middle). You can fit larger items in there that can sit where the pole would have been. On the downside, the turntable mechanism is kind of tight and hard to spin. I'm hoping they'll loosen up over time. I don't have any kids around so I can't answer to that part. I do have to be careful when closing the door not to scrape the adjacent doors. Rubber bumpers in just the right spot on the backs of the doors help out when you forget and crash them together. I also don't put my most used stuff in them which reduces how often I need to get into them. Overall? Lazy Susans are just another compromise to make the best of a hard-to-use space but they're worth it.

• rhome410
    11 years ago

Love your user name, for if no other reason, it made for a great post title now! ;-)

I can see why you and your kitchen are happy now. Beautiful! And with appliances and organization to match. Love the sink, too!

• kaysd
    11 years ago

Wow, what a great transformation. It looks lovely and so well organized.

• Liz
    11 years ago

I love the drawer inserts too. I am going to order myself some. I love how warm and clean looking your kitchen is. Enjoy!!

• sjerin
    11 years ago

I just want to tell you that your kitchen is lovely, and that I enjoyed reading about the process immensely. The blog and the kitchen are wonderfully organized and very pleasant to look at. Not sure why you're "grumpy;" the process sounds so easy when we get to read about it all at once!

• peonybush
    11 years ago

Beautiful transformation. Love your cabinet choice. So rich looking.
    Great job!

• Susied3
    11 years ago

Beautiful transformation, happy dave! Am loving the info on your blog, never can learn too much.

Your detail is amazing, and very well thought out.

• colorfast
    11 years ago

Wow, great job! The cambria looked wonderful with your cabinet color. Good choice. I also loved your website. It is a great how-to for people to walk through the process.

• ccintx
    11 years ago

Awesome! What size are the drawers that hold the white dishes? I like the new cookware. What brand is it? Great ideas on the corner cabinets and super susan. Looks like a very efficient kitchen that will be easy to use.

• neesie
    11 years ago

That's a very "wow" and organized kitchen! Love it! I'm also a huge fan of blanco silgranit sinks.

• ILoveRed
    11 years ago

I bet grumpy is happy now. Beautiful.

Love what you did with the desk. I put in a big desk just 6 yrs ago that I rarely use now.

Great job!

• grumpydave
    Original Author
    11 years ago

CCinTX - The drawers with the dishes is a 27" drawer cabinet. Same for the knives and flatware. The utensil and pot/pan drawers are 36".

The cookware is a mix of Scanpan CTX non-stick, and Demeyere Atlantis stainless steel. So far I like both.

• lwerner
    11 years ago

Dave, that looks great!

I'm in the planning stages of a whole-house addition / remodel, and your photos were an inspiration in the kitchen department. Even though my layout will be different, I love a lot of your details like the spice cabinet, corner cabinets, drawer organizers, and faucet. Thanks for posting such detailed photos.

I like that faucet. I've been leaning toward a more "functional" looking one like the Hansgrohe Talis S, but that KWC looks nice. And KWC makes great faucets. I have one in my current place.

What is that weird shaped thing in the front center bin of the first drawer photo? A cannoli mold? (I'm just guessing -- I don't even know if there is such a thing as a cannoli mold. :-)

Laura

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

Grumpy - just in time review. I was just about to add dividers to my drawers and went back and looked at yours. No dividers for now - going out to BBB and getting some of these!!!
    Nice work with your kitchen. It rocks!! and you are Happy and no longer Grumpy!!!
    LOL and love your design!!

• grumpydave
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Laura, that thing in the drawer is a Garlic Peeler. It works really well.

• grumpydave
    Original Author
    11 years ago

a2gemini, so far I love those drawer organizers. They look great and after a month or two of use my drawers are still just as tidy and organized as they are in the photos. Every utensil has a place and it's not at all inconvenient to put them back where they belong. I also like that if a bin were to get dirty you can just pull it out and clean it. I ran them all through the dishwasher before putting them into drawers. I had purchased some of the DIY dividers from Lee Valley but so far I haven't used any of them. I just prefer the look of these bins.

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

Grumpy - Went over to B3 and bought them out - plus used a few from my old kitchen as B3 didn't have all sizes in stock.
    Thanks for the suggestion and definitely saved me a big mistake!!
    Look familiar (I have more drawers)

Also - you figured out from my kitchen that the frameless cabinets on the lowers allowed me to tip pans on their sides. I have so many different brands that nothing nests or you have to take all out to get to the bottom one!

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

Grumpy
    I can see one knife block is WS. What are the others?

BTW - love my elux fridge. It has the LED lighting and the magic temp drawer. It is about 2-3 years old - and we did not get the ice/water through the door!

Thanks again for sharing. Your kitchen is an inspiration to us all!

• onedogedie
    11 years ago

Congratulations on a great transformation. Your kitchen will be pleasing to the eye for a long time. Thanks for the kitchen reno journal. It's good to hear about the journey, the snafus, and the concessions made.

What I am dying to know is how high are your ceilings!!!??? You mention ceiling cans, but I don't catch a glimpse of the ceiling in any of your photographs.

• grumpydave
    Original Author
    11 years ago

a2gemini, there are three knife trays in the drawer. On the left is a JA Henkels that I've had for many years. In the center is the Wusthof 7 slot tray and on the right is the Wusthof 14 slot tray. I bought both of the Wusthofs locally at Sur la Table even though I don't see the small one listed on their website. According to the dimensions listed they shouldn't have all fit but in fact they fit perfectly.

I can also say that my Electrolux refrigerator has been perfect thusfar. It's the quietest fridge I've had in decades. I bought a couple thermometers and placed them in several areas inside and the temps are good and consistent too. I thought the interior lights that come up slowly was a gimmick until I needed a drink at night with no lights on and was able to quickly reach in for some water and close the door before being blinded by full brightness. Now I think it's a great feature.

• grumpydave
    Original Author
    11 years ago

onedogedie, my kitchen ceiling is 12' high. It's 7' to the bottom of the bulkhead which is 1' tall and then 4' above it to the ceiling. Funny, I don't have any after photos with the ceiling in them but here's a before shot that shows it.

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

GD - almost missed your post - when you work all day, they get buried.
    Thanks for the information - our knife tray is terrible - so may have to fix...

Glad you like you Elux fridge - thought the LED lights were a gimmick also, but just love when I open the fridge and there is light!

Do you have the perfect temp drawer - so fun to stick ice cream in there during dinner and perfect serving temp to dip for dessert - and friends just love it!!