Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
white cabinets - white underneath?

Posted by Tricia21 (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 5, 13 at 16:30

Hi all,
I just finalized cabinets with my contractor/cab maker today. He showed me the shelves for the inside which are a natural wood color (except for the glass cabs which will be white). He said he would use those on the bottom but i thought they should be white to match the cabinets. Is that correct? Or is it better to go with the easily wipeable natural wood color material?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: white cabinets - white underneath?

What color are the insides of your cabinets?

The insides of mine are natural birch veneer (real wood veneer on plywood). The shelves are also plywood with the same birch veneer. The front edges of the shelves are white melamine so they look proper through the gaps between the doors etc.

Where we have glass, the interiors were painted white and we used glass shelves.

What do you mean by 'use those on the bottom'?

photo DSC00905.jpg

o

I mean on the outside underneath - where the UCLs go...
Our insides will look like yours...

o

I only have one standard upper cab without glass. The shelves are the same material as inside of the drawers: sealed wood. The shelves in my glass uppers are the same wood as my cabinets painted the same white paint.

o

My white cabinet interiors are all natural wood-look. Same for where my UCLs are. There have been threads on people painting under the cabinets to match, but I can't see the wood with my UCLs in place.

o

In most lines, you would have to upgrade to all matching interiors to have the bottom of the cabinets to be cabinet body color. And you don't need to spend that extra money unless you want to because a light rail will hide the cabinet bottom unless you are sitting at table height close to where you will see the cabinet bottoms.

o

I can have the bottoms (where UCLs are) white or natural like the interiors. It's up to me and won't cost anymore. I just didn't know if one looked better than the other...

o

Oops. I misunderstood the question. The underside of my two uppers is white, just like the rest of the exterior. From where I'm sitting right now, I can see the underside of my baking cab. I would not want it unpainted, even with the UCLs.

o

Ok..thanks breezy...that was my gut...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here