Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kam76

How wide are your dish drawers?

kam76
11 years ago

I am wanting to have a drawer for my dishes and was just curious how wide your drawers are and are you able to get your dinner plates, salad plates and bowls all in that size?

Thanks!

Comments (14)

• debrak_2008
    11 years ago

36" which includes 12 of each, dinner plates, lunch plates, soup bowls, dessert bowls, mugs, plus a few other items.

• badgergal
    11 years ago

My dish drawers is 36 inches wide. Here how it looks inside ( missing a few dishes).

• eleena
    11 years ago

Badgergal,

Where did you get the peg board?

I can't believe that RAS's one is $105!

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

Mine is 42 but had a failure
    Peg board=8lbs
    Drawer = 30lbs
    Dishes= 75 lbs
    Weight limit of glides=75 Lbs
    Oops- in reality it was a sidewall failure. I would recommend weighing everything and reinforcing screws. I am on my phone and harder to post pictures.
    PS I do have an extra pegboard - I am not using to save weight.

• badgergal
    11 years ago

Yes, the peg board is ridiculously expensive on the rev-a-shelf website. My Amish cabinet makers provided it to me at a fraction of the cost. I must say however, that I don't think it is necessary as far as keeping the dishes from moving around goes. With the soft close drawers, the drawers close so smoothly and softly that the dishes would not rattle around even without the peg board. It does work nice for differentiating where the dishes go but it is not really necessary. So if you can't get it cheap, don't bother with it.

• texasgal47
    11 years ago

My dish drawer is 27" wide. It holds dinner & breakfast plates, pasta & rice bowls. I limited the quantity of each to servings for 6 and stored the other 6 servings, plus mugs, in other kitchen cabinets as did not want to tempt fate with too much weight on the drawer. This works well on a daily basis. As previously mentioned, there has been no need for pegs to keep dishes in place.

• debrak_2008
    11 years ago

I don't have a peg board, not needed. With the liner everything stays in place.

eleena, I'm trying to find the name of the liner. I have an extra roll somewhere but I can't find it right now. Its white and has a little "cush" to it. It's a regular product at our lowes.

• 3mutts
    11 years ago

My dish drawers are 36" wide and I had my cabinet guy make them sturdy enough to hold 125 pounds. I weighed my dishes = 71 pounds. I had pegboards at my last house and found they weren't necessary, so didn't go that route this time.

I also have 27" drawers for pots and pans weighted to hold 90 pounds and my pots/pans aren't that heavy (since there are two drawers).

As for liners, I use Cushy Cupboards and really like the way it functions. As far as "pretty", it is actually a bit boring - just plain white (which is great for me as I don't really need the cupboard liner to be a focal point). It is easy to cut and fit, easy to wipe clean, can be washed (but I haven't really needed to) and is much easier to install than contact paper. It is a bit spendy, but when I got mine a couple of years ago, I found a great online sale somewhere. When I downsized and moved last year, I took all of my cupboard liners with me and re-cut them for new house cabs and drawers.

• mpagmom (SW Ohio)
    11 years ago

Mine is smaller than most, but it still fits a lot. I have a 30" frameless 4-drawer stack, and the main dish drawer is about 5.5" deep. I think most people put their dishes in a 3-drawer stack for more depth, but I was worried about the weight. I'll post a picture to give you an idea of what it can hold: 10 dinner plates, 12 salad plates, 12 of the square bowls, 6 of the larger round bowls, 10 of the smaller round bowls, and 4 mugs. I put most of my mugs near the coffee maker but have a few there so my 8-year-old can reach. I put extra plates and bowls in the drawer below, where I also store many of my serving pieces. That leaves one drawer for flatware and another for plastic dinnerware and trays we use for outside and parties.

I also use the Cushy Cupboards and they keep everything in place nicely.

• suzanne_sl
    11 years ago

27", no pegboard. Things slide a little to the rear, but we're talking .5" over a week - hardly an issue. This dish drawer is one of my favorite things in the new kitchen!

• dilly_ny
    11 years ago

25"wide interior on a 30" inset cabinet. I need 2 drawers for my dishes, but I have a lot of serving pieces.

The drawer shown has 11" dinner plates, 8.5" salad plates and 3 kinds of bowls.

• kam76
    Original Author
    11 years ago

wow guys thanks so much for your feedback and pictures. Makes me feel better about the 30" drawer stack I was thinking of using.

• tmy_jax
    11 years ago

Thanx for the post Kam76, and thanx for the follow ups by all of the posters.

I too am planning on a 30" drawer stack.