Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rjr220

outlet for recessed frig

rjr220
14 years ago

I THOUGHT that I had clipped the thread about putting the electrical outlet in the side stud for a recessed frig. But not so. I did a search, couldn't find the thread. Does anyone else have the thread, or have you done this yourself?

My electrician is coming on Thursday for rough in and I want to show him a picture if he hasn't done this before.

Thanks, Rita

Comments (9)

• palimpsest
    14 years ago

In addition to putting it in the side you can also get a recessed outlet, so the plug isn't sticking out.

Here is a link that might be useful: recessed outlet

• brickton
    14 years ago

Rita- I think what you want is to have a sheetrocked alcove 4" deep (3.5 wall + .5 sheetrock) for your fridge with the outlet on the 4" 'wall'. In order for that to happen you need to have the electrician cutout a portion of the stud (assuming not a load bearing wall) and mount the box facing the stud on the opposite end of the opening, mounted as if facing out (ie leaving 1/2" for sheetrock over hanging the stud face). If this is what you want, print this out and have him read it. It's not horribly complicated and I'm sure he'll 'get it' if you just tell him how your fridge is going to be recessed and physically show him where the outlet should face.

Palimpset- Those are awesome and absolutely will be used for: my fridge, my microwave (in an upper cab) and possibly other things. I hate plugs sticking out... granted they look like they are miserable to wire up, but it'd be worth it.

• Sharon kilber
    14 years ago

Do you have the refrig yet. We put a recessed one in, and the plug, on my refrig would not fit back in it. sharaz

• rjr220
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you for the answers! Yes, Shar-az, I have the frig onsite, am hoping that we can put the frig as far back as possible!

• marcy96
    14 years ago

Here's mine with the outlet on the side. Worked great!
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}

• rjr220
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Marcy -- Thank you! Another question if you're still reading this thread. Any problems with phone reception, since you have it under the micro? That's one of the minor issues I still dealing with -- where to put the dern phone.

• marcy96
    14 years ago

Hi rjr220, You're welcome! I hope the pictures helped. I'm so glad I recessed my old fridge - it saved me a bunch of money not to have to buy a new counter-depth fridge! I don't have any problem with my phone under the microwave, although I'm not sure if I've ever been talking on it while the microwave was on - I'll have to check that!

• bmorepanic
    14 years ago

With a recessed outlet and those thick ref cords with big heads, check and make sure the cord end can mechanically fit in the recess. Same thing for other sites where power cords with fat converters -like a phone charger - are desired.

Also, there are shallow wall work boxes that would allow you to recess about 1-2 inches with proper framing.

• kmsparty
    14 years ago

Marcy, that looks fantastic! My fridge is going to be going on an outside wall. Does anyone know if we could do the same thing as in these photos? It looks really great and yes a big money saver. Its one of those areas that just a couple inches make all the difference!