Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
goosic

Small Budget, Big Changes!

goosic
13 years ago

Oh how I wish I would have known about the kitchen forum 8 years ago when we moved into our house, I would have made these changes so much sooner! I'm usually a lurker not a poster, but I had to share the changes made to my kitchen and give everyone here a great big THANK YOU for all the inspiration and knowledge you share everyday!

My original plan was to do a complete reno but after pricing everything I decided to do a low-budget makeover and focus on finishing our attic into a new master bedroom & bathroom. I will definetely be coming back here with lots of questions when my kitchen reno time comes.

I was planning on painting my existing hinges and read on a thread here to soak them in acetone before to remove any grease before painting. Guess what?? My old brass hardware was actually stainless steel under 50 years of golden grease! I still have a few small things left to do that will get done soon: change the outlets & light switches and do some paint touch-ups. Our whole family loves how much brighter and welcoming it is, plus I think it helps our ginormous fridge blend in a little bit! I wish we could have gotten a counter-depth but with 6 kids, ginormus & less expensive was more important than counter-depth & more expensive, lol!

Details:

2 New Cabinets: Stock cabinets from Menards: $75

Cabinet doors: Shaker style, Barkerdoor.com $340

Open cabinet above fridge: DIY, $0

Drawers: Slab style, DIY $0

Counter: Ikea, Lagan beech butcherblock $230

Waterlox: 2 coats each of original & satin $75

Sink: Swanstone metropolitan large single bowl $180

Hardware: Target, $30

Faucet: Moen pulldown, $40 display clearance

Cabinet paint: Valspar Medallion in Carte Blanche $35

Wall paint: Valspar Medallion in Subdued Sage $35