Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
yooper856

Moen Motionsense faucets

yooper856
11 years ago

Hello!

I just installed a Moen Motionsense kitchen faucet and was wondering if anyone else is having issues with the pressure/volume on manual mode verses the sensor or auto mode. I get noticeably more pressure when I use the sensor verses just turning it on with the handle. I did pop out all the screens and they are clean. I called Moen on this and they agreed that the sensor mode gives you 2.2gpm where manual turn on is only 1.6gpm. They offered me a different screen to change out to even out the pressure (well by offer meaning I paid $18.00 for it :) ) but it came in being the same screen that's installed already. I even removed the screen...no change. Anyone come up with a solution yet?
Thanks!

Comments (38)

• momto3kiddos
    11 years ago

Yikes! Let me know what you figure out. I have ordered the same faucet for my kitchen to be installed in the next month.

• SparklingWater
    10 years ago

Do you know what your street/house water pressure is by chance? Maybe you're on the low pressure end of your townships receipt of water, so water pressure is naturally lower.

Or if you have a water pressure reducer, maybe its set to 40 psi or so and could be moved up a tad to help this situation.

• yooper856
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Great thought.....but unfortunately not the case. This just changed when I replaced this faucet. Had plenty of pressure and volume with my 2 year old Delta faucet, and like I mentioned pressure is great when on the auto or sensor mode, it's just when you turn on the faucet using the handle is where I'm having the issue.

• randyl712
    10 years ago

YES! Totally noticed this too in both of my Motionsense faucets. I wonder why they did this?

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    10 years ago

Sorry, I don't believe in mixing electronics and plumbing. Guess I'm just old school.

• rococogurl
    10 years ago

This is a very important post for others yooper. It makes no sense.
    Can they remove a restrictor from the manual flow line?

Electronic faucets are still new technology so there will always be dumb stuff like this popping up. They need to get it right.

• randyl712
    10 years ago

I have to say, I can live with this issue. The much more annoying thing is when you're using the manual handle to get a small flow of water for something precise - filling a measuring cup, adding some water to a bowl, dampening a paper towel, something like that - you shut off the water and BLAMO the sensor immediately turns on the faucet full blast. Had they programmed in a 1-second delay between the manual handle and the sensor this wouldn't be an issue - as it stands this drives us nuts every single day.

• MoenTouchlessStinks
    9 years ago

Yes - My Moen Touchless has considerably less flow and pressure when used manually. Very disappointing for such an expensive faucet. Anyone have any luck getting it to flow as it should?

• yooper856
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hello

Well we have had it with this faucet. The concept is great but the actual functionality isn't there....so I highly recommend not purchasing a Moen Motionsense faucet. What really stinks is this faucet was not cheap, and now I have to purchase another one. We rented a house in Florida this year which had a nice pull down style kitchen faucet in it and both my wife and I agreed this is the faucet we need! I think it was a Kohler, but anyone else have recommendations on pull down or pull out style kitchen faucets? Something under $500 would be nice!

• rococogurl
    9 years ago

Kohler has the Sensate motion but it's more. Grohe Ladylux has a new touch faucet. And people like their Delta touchs.

Many non-electronic pull downs that are reasonable. Hansgrohe Talis is a popular one.

But I'd pay attention to the flow rate on any new one for obvious reasons.

Shame about the Moen. Reducing the water flow is senseless.

• randyl712
    9 years ago

We use it a zillion times a day, I put one on the main kitchen faucet and one on the island sink too, and other than the minor issues I've mentioned we love it and there's nothing else we'd choose.

• mtimmer
    9 years ago

This is an interesting and potentially disappointing thread since we're considering this faucet as part of or re-model. I think these are valid complaints, but I'm trying to contrast them with a recent "what faucet do you have" thread here on GW and the Amazon reviews, which are pretty darn positive although they do acknowledge idiosyncrasies about how it works.

So my questions are:

1) how does a 1.6 gpm flow (manual handle as per above) compare with other standard faucets? Is 1.6 gpm a real slouch even in today's water-efficient world? FYI, the Moen specs just say that the faucet is 2.0 gpm without specifying through which method.

2) randy mentions the problem of using the manual handle for detail work and being overwhelmed by the auto sensor. That is a total turn off, but in the other GW thread it seems like if that's a constant problem the solution is to turn the bottom sensor off. Is it not that easy? (Although I realize you're then not fully using the technology.)

Thanks, I'm trying to reconcile these real world complaints (that would really bug me) with other reviews that acknowledge but gloss over these concerns.

Edit: after belatedly seeing randy's second post, I think I misunderstood his concerns with the faucet...

This post was edited by mtimmer on Mon, May 12, 14 at 0:30

• momto3kiddos
    9 years ago

I hate to be the dissenter, but I have had this faucet 11 months, and I totally love it! I use both sensors regularly, and I only use the handle when I need hot water. There is a slight difference in water pressure, but for my purposes it makes no difference from a functional perspective. I do have a large single sink which makes it easier to work in the sink without inadvertently triggering the sensor. We have never had any "ghosts" trigger the sensor, just a large housefly once. :). It really does stop on its own after two minutes or so, so no risk of overflowing sink. Compares to my sister in laws brizo touch faucet, these sensors are much more reliable and responsive than her touch function. I would be happy to answer specific questions.

• randyl712
    9 years ago

It's VERY easy to turn off either sensor so that's what we've done. Now we only use the top sensor and it's not a problem. I just wish they'd have engineered in a 2-second delay between using the handle and the lower sensor (which is close to the handle so you will activate it accidentally when using the handle)

Anyway, we love the faucets too. Highly recommend them.

• randyl712
    9 years ago

that is "as it should". It's designed to do that, for some reason. No way around it.

• greghad
    9 years ago

The initial reduction in pressure was around 50+%. I had an un-regulated amount of pressure coming from the street, and now have it set at 60 PSI, and it is more like a 75% reduction. Moen sent me new parts to no avail. I also put in fresh batteries, and am even thinking about AC power. I don't find it acceptable at all. This is a real deal-breaker after 10-months of use and the gradual decline from barely acceptable to untenable.

• greghad
    9 years ago

Moen sent me a new head unit that included the three (#1,2, and 3) hoses, the sensor cable, a new disassembly/re-assembly tool and new plate. I had to remove the spout hose and counter weight, manual control handle, and mount them on the new head unit. My flow is back up to 50-70%, but seems like it might be decreasing again. I'm wondering about the filter in the #2 line, as my old one was a bit gummed up, and according to the Moen rep, this is the filter for the manual handle, and the filter on the bottom of the control box itself is the filter for the sensor lines. I'm tempted to run this without the filter and see how the water flow goes.

What is incredible is that the second call to Moen as to what to do with the sensor unit (spout from the sink to the pull out head): they said throw it away. I have to think of something nice to do with it- like lawn art or a hook to catch the rope swing with...

• Marc Johnson
    9 years ago

We just installed ours yesterday - so we're still in the "honeymoon" phase - but I am both impressed and very happy.

We had a Delta touchless before and even though the same $, it doesn't compare to Moen.

The Moen "feels" more substantial in every way. The handles and spout are more solid feeling, better weighted, and it has a better matching "stainless" color that perfectly matches the instant hot stainless.

I'm also impressed with the control box and hose smoothness compared to Delta. I'm also loving the "pre-set" temperature feature for the touchless sensors ?? Brilliant. I'm not seeing any appreciable pressure differences yet, but thanks to everyone here, it's something I'm going to keep an eye on. Previously, it was always a battle of "why can't you just leave it on warm please!" Now we don't fight - about that at least :)

• mtimmer
    9 years ago

During our remodel I read this thread with some trepidation. Perhaps I'm weighing in a bit too early, but after three weeks my wife and I love it!

If there is lower water pressure with the sensor than the handle--we don't see that at all. Perhaps it's been fixed? And we love everything else: the sensors, the feel of pulling down the spout, looks, etc. Very happy with this in the early innings!

• dewiturself
    9 years ago

We just had a Moen Touchless installed and I definitly notice the reduced flow when using the handle. More of an issue is the sensativity of the "ready sensor". It does not trigger until you almost touch the faucet but then your dirty hands are not in the water stream. So, you pull your hands away an inch or two so they are in the stream and the sensor turns the water off! I have been unable to find any instructions on how to adjust this sensor. This feature is useless for now.

• Michael Diaz
    9 years ago

Thanks to everybody's comments, I found a way to increase the water flow. I removed the filter from the brass cylinder that connects to the outlet labeled "2." I then used a hacksaw to remove the brass that serves as a bass for the filter that has the four holes through which water flows into the cylinder, leaving just the feed hole. I then drilled the feed hole to make it bigger. Alas I drilled too far and caused the fitting at the end of the hose to break off - I hadn't realized how narrow it was. I reamed the hole, and inserted a brass fitting that is threaded on both ends by forcing the threads into the somewhat conical hole. I used some PTF (Teflon) tape to help seal the threads. I then put the hose over the threads of the other end of the fitting and clamped it with a 1/4-inch clamp. To protect the hose from the clamp I first wound some electrical tape around it. I also removed the woven material around the hose from the end that was to be clamped. The water flow was greatly increased and my wife is delighted.

I acknowledge that this solution is not for the faint of plumbing. I think that Moen's basic design is good, but it should have used larger diameter fittings instead of the quick-to-assemble (hard-to-disassemble!) fittings. I pray for a revision of the MotionSense system that that implements these suggestions.

• leelaval
    8 years ago

Having issues with mine - the sprayer leaks constantly in a stream. \moen just sent a new cartridge, this did not work and obviously not the problem. Any ideas what it could be

• greasetrap
    8 years ago

Michael, We're getting the plain Arbor without the MotionSense. Would your instructions work in that model as well? It's kind of Greek to me, but hopefully our plumber might be willing to do it.

• parrontof3
    8 years ago

Wow... I guess it wasn't just me... I installed this also back in 2013 and noticed the flow from auto to manual was different. Stronger flow using motion sense than the flow using the handle manually. I figured I had some setting off & would get to it eventually. Came back to the foreground when I had to get under the sink today because the support bracket/nut came loose. And this time I decided to google to see if anyone else had that problem... Voila. In the big picture it's not bothering me esp now that I know it's by design rather than my goof. So thank you for this post!

• greasetrap
    8 years ago

I don't have the Motion Sense and was getting 0.6 gal/min from my 2 Arbor faucets as installed (vs 1.5 gal/min claimed in the specs). I get 15 gpm at 65 psi from my well, so the problem wasn't with water pressure in the house. I ended up installing the Moen 141025 wand screens (which is the wand screen from the pre-low flow Arbors), in the faucets and that increased the flow rate dramatically to 1.4 gpm. I paid $8/each on Amazon for them, but the current price seems to be about $18/ea. It's expensive for what you get, but at least I'm not cursing every time I turn on the faucet.

My old faucets delivered about 2.2 gpm, but I'm happy with the 1.4 gpm that I'm now getting from the Arbor. The pressure is actually better in the Arbor than the old faucet (I think they mix more air in than the old faucet did), so the only time I really notice a difference is when I'm filling a large pot.

• msbrown51
    8 years ago

Installed motion faucet about a year and half ago. Have the same problem with the manual mode. Very little pressure now after having some plumbing work done. Dang! Wife bought the unit and I am afraid to ask her how much for this trickle down!

• leelaval
    8 years ago

I thinks its a lifetime warranty on the motion sense - just call and they will send a kit to fix the problem : worked for me. Did you clean out the filters on the control box? See online manual. Good luck

• Donice Breza
    8 years ago

I have learned to live with the reduction in water pressure. I love the faucet and it's crazy, but when I visit other people's home I find myself waving my hand over their faucet out of habit. I know that's crazy. My latest issue, though is that when I wave my hand over the faucet to turn it off it does not happen instantly like it did in the past. Is anyone else having this issue? I changed the batteries thinking perhaps they were running low, but that was not the problem. Any help would be appreciated.

• Jesse Bulmer
    8 years ago

Yes this is totaly an issue, I'm not a fan of low water pressure. Need to figure out some way to keep the sensors activated at the same time as the hand valve and say on while use.

• fem2008
    8 years ago

donicebreza : Make sure the top sensor is clean. Water spots or dust can do that. I have had also a water drop on top sensor drive me crazy a couple of times, so make user water does not stay on the sensor,

• jensen_ca
    7 years ago

Wondering if anyone else has found a fix for the slow to turn off.

• Chris Dupuis
    7 years ago

Hello everyone. I have had this faucet for a year and a half. I had the water flow issue when using the manual mode as well. Moen sent me a new control box and when installing it the water flow improved a bit. Its now 6-8 months later and the water flow is back to the way it was . Extremely low flow. I will call again to see if they have a new solution. I am not happy with this product and will demand a new faucet with no sensors. FYI.. I have exactly the same faucet style in my kitchen island sink except it is manual mode only and it works fantastic. The water flow is the same as when the motionsense faucet is activated on the one I am having issues with.

If anyone has a solution please advise. I will be posting a video on youtube describing this issue. I have labelled it "Moen motion sense water flow issue. Please help".

Cheers.

• abc10013
    7 years ago

Hello, I have the same issue with very slow flow when using the manual lever. Moen sent me a new cartridge, but there was no improvement. I unscrewed the spray head, and observed that the flow is strong with motionsense and ok with manual. I then cleaned the spray head. I reinstalled the spray head. The water flow is back to normal. Normal meaning that when using manual lever, the water flow is ok and no longer a trickle. It appears that I will need to occasionally clean the spray head.

• abc10013
    7 years ago

Hello, The trickle is back. There must be a design flaw with these Motionsense faucets!

• parrontof3
    7 years ago

I had changed the cartridge as mine actually started dripping when it was off... a new cartridge did nothing & the trickling was increasing to a steady but small stream.. Moen sent me a new control box.. they actually had given me the option of an entire new faucet, but it was bear to install under the cabinet (hard to get into corner cabinet) and I didn't want to do that again.. The control box under the cabinet was enough for me... that got the trickle leak to stop. I've since moved to a new home & am back to a manual faucet... Don't know that I'm going to update it to the Motionsense... for now I'm back from the future lol

• User
    6 years ago

Parrontof3, thanks for posting this. We've had our Motionsense since April 2014 and have loved it. No problems until recently it started to drip, just occasionally, and in the last few days it won't always turn off as it should, it continues a smaller stream even with nothing in sensor range. Not always, but frequently. I thought something was clogging it and therefore obstructing the water shutting off, but reading this, I'll call Moen. Thank you for the info!

• Marc Johnson
    3 years ago

Super old thread... but I just wanted to share a quick update. We have miserably awful water in San Diego, and after 6 years (and lots of attempts at cleaning), I needed to replace the sprayer end of the faucet. I was going to order it on Amazon but they were out, so I called Moen.

They had it, are shipping it in 7 days, and covered it under warranty, $0 cost. Holy wow, I was not expecting that. The rep asked me if anything else was problematic, and I mentioned that the soap pump had "lost it's oomph" and she added that to the order.

I was not expecting that ... so after 6 years of flawless operation, I'm adding excellent customer service to my happy, glowing review.