Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Moen Motionsense faucets

Posted by yooper856 (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 7, 13 at 16:23

Hello!

I just installed a Moen Motionsense kitchen faucet and was wondering if anyone else is having issues with the pressure/volume on manual mode verses the sensor or auto mode. I get noticeably more pressure when I use the sensor verses just turning it on with the handle. I did pop out all the screens and they are clean. I called Moen on this and they agreed that the sensor mode gives you 2.2gpm where manual turn on is only 1.6gpm. They offered me a different screen to change out to even out the pressure (well by offer meaning I paid $18.00 for it :) ) but it came in being the same screen that's installed already. I even removed the screen...no change. Anyone come up with a solution yet?
Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Moen Motionsense faucets

Yikes! Let me know what you figure out. I have ordered the same faucet for my kitchen to be installed in the next month.

o

Well Moen was super great to work with....sent me new screens and a new cartridge all no charge. Unfortunately it did not remedy the situation.....so when considering this faucet just know that you get about a 25% reduction in flow when in manual mode. Automatic or sensor mode does not flow through the cartridge so that's why you get better pressure, but the manual mode is just not quite enough. Disappointing but we are learning to live with it!

o

Do you know what your street/house water pressure is by chance? Maybe you're on the low pressure end of your townships receipt of water, so water pressure is naturally lower.

Or if you have a water pressure reducer, maybe its set to 40 psi or so and could be moved up a tad to help this situation.

o

Great thought.....but unfortunately not the case. This just changed when I replaced this faucet. Had plenty of pressure and volume with my 2 year old Delta faucet, and like I mentioned pressure is great when on the auto or sensor mode, it's just when you turn on the faucet using the handle is where I'm having the issue.

o

YES! Totally noticed this too in both of my Motionsense faucets. I wonder why they did this?

o

Sorry, I don't believe in mixing electronics and plumbing. Guess I'm just old school.

o

This is a very important post for others yooper. It makes no sense.
Can they remove a restrictor from the manual flow line?

Electronic faucets are still new technology so there will always be dumb stuff like this popping up. They need to get it right.

o

I have to say, I can live with this issue. The much more annoying thing is when you're using the manual handle to get a small flow of water for something precise - filling a measuring cup, adding some water to a bowl, dampening a paper towel, something like that - you shut off the water and BLAMO the sensor immediately turns on the faucet full blast. Had they programmed in a 1-second delay between the manual handle and the sensor this wouldn't be an issue - as it stands this drives us nuts every single day.

o

Yes - My Moen Touchless has considerably less flow and pressure when used manually. Very disappointing for such an expensive faucet. Anyone have any luck getting it to flow as it should?

o

Hello

Well we have had it with this faucet. The concept is great but the actual functionality isn't there....so I highly recommend not purchasing a Moen Motionsense faucet. What really stinks is this faucet was not cheap, and now I have to purchase another one. We rented a house in Florida this year which had a nice pull down style kitchen faucet in it and both my wife and I agreed this is the faucet we need! I think it was a Kohler, but anyone else have recommendations on pull down or pull out style kitchen faucets? Something under $500 would be nice!

o

Kohler has the Sensate motion but it's more. Grohe Ladylux has a new touch faucet. And people like their Delta touchs.

Many non-electronic pull downs that are reasonable. Hansgrohe Talis is a popular one.

But I'd pay attention to the flow rate on any new one for obvious reasons.

Shame about the Moen. Reducing the water flow is senseless.

o

We use it a zillion times a day, I put one on the main kitchen faucet and one on the island sink too, and other than the minor issues I've mentioned we love it and there's nothing else we'd choose.

o

This is an interesting and potentially disappointing thread since we're considering this faucet as part of or re-model. I think these are valid complaints, but I'm trying to contrast them with a recent "what faucet do you have" thread here on GW and the Amazon reviews, which are pretty darn positive although they do acknowledge idiosyncrasies about how it works.

So my questions are:

1) how does a 1.6 gpm flow (manual handle as per above) compare with other standard faucets? Is 1.6 gpm a real slouch even in today's water-efficient world? FYI, the Moen specs just say that the faucet is 2.0 gpm without specifying through which method.

2) randy mentions the problem of using the manual handle for detail work and being overwhelmed by the auto sensor. That is a total turn off, but in the other GW thread it seems like if that's a constant problem the solution is to turn the bottom sensor off. Is it not that easy? (Although I realize you're then not fully using the technology.)

Thanks, I'm trying to reconcile these real world complaints (that would really bug me) with other reviews that acknowledge but gloss over these concerns.

Edit: after belatedly seeing randy's second post, I think I misunderstood his concerns with the faucet...

This post was edited by mtimmer on Mon, May 12, 14 at 0:30

o

I hate to be the dissenter, but I have had this faucet 11 months, and I totally love it! I use both sensors regularly, and I only use the handle when I need hot water. There is a slight difference in water pressure, but for my purposes it makes no difference from a functional perspective. I do have a large single sink which makes it easier to work in the sink without inadvertently triggering the sensor. We have never had any "ghosts" trigger the sensor, just a large housefly once. :). It really does stop on its own after two minutes or so, so no risk of overflowing sink. Compares to my sister in laws brizo touch faucet, these sensors are much more reliable and responsive than her touch function. I would be happy to answer specific questions.

o

It's VERY easy to turn off either sensor so that's what we've done. Now we only use the top sensor and it's not a problem. I just wish they'd have engineered in a 2-second delay between using the handle and the lower sensor (which is close to the handle so you will activate it accidentally when using the handle)

Anyway, we love the faucets too. Highly recommend them.

o

that is "as it should". It's designed to do that, for some reason. No way around it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here