Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Removal and reinstall of existing granite countertop

Posted by EllenB124 (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 7, 13 at 16:20

We installed a granite countertop many years ago. We now want to replace our 26 year old kitchen cabinets but keep the granite. Got a quote from a company to remove and reinstall the granite with breaking one seam. Has anyone had this done and, if so, what was your experience. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Removal and reinstall of existing granite countertop

Is your granite 2cm or 3cm? Did they talk about the risk of breakage? Seems, especially with 3cm granite, that breakage would be a significant risk.

I had granite removed in my entire kitchen (replaced with marble). The contractor was able to remove the island without breaking it, and I gave it to a friend who installed it on his island.

We didn't re-use the rest of the countertops, but if I remember correctly they came off without breakage.

o

Madeline- how thick was your granite? I believe ours is 3 cm. we haven't closed the deal with the company yet, but they have assured me they have done this many times. Thanks for your info!

o

I don't know the risk, but was hoping to save my granite peninsula to be refabricated to use elsewhere in my home. Please keep us posted how it comes out.

I take it you're keeping the layout the same? If so, are your cabinet boxes in good enough shape that you could reface and get new doors?

o

Granite is pretty tuff stuff. We have removed whole slabs before with no breakage, and here in CA we use 2cm which is more fragile. Care is needed at seams, but it sounds as if your fabricator has it under control.

o

Our cabinets are 26 years old and were contractor grade, so we really want to replace them. And yes, we are keeping the same layout, just changing some of the cabinets to drawers,etc. I will let you know how it all turns out. Still in the process of choosing cabinets! What a process!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here