Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
icenet

Small modern kitchen finished-Photos

icenet
15 years ago

Hi All,

The big thank you to all those who have helped me along the way. This was my first kitchen remodel. Originally, my ideal was white cabinets and black countertop. I changed this design because I have no windows and felt the black would close things up to much.

I also decided against the white cabinets because I wanted future buyers to know they were getting solid wood. I need to sell at some point. I'm very happy with the real wood look.

I would have liked to use SS appliances but my fridge and stove were only a few years old. I replaced the dishwasher and stayed with white.

Overall, I'm very pleased. I have a few minor issues. The cabinet over the sink was originally to have glass inserts. This became a dilemma with cost, sizing and delays. It would have made more sense to just install 2 cabinets in the space.

I stole some the design ideas from a house in Metropolitan Life that I saw in person. You can see it for yourself on the Caesarstone web site for Blizzard. Let me know you you have any question. :)

Cabinets-Dynasty, maple

Countertop-Caesarstone

Floor tile-Ann Sacks, porcelain

Backsplash-Ann Sacks, glass

Recess lights- Liton, halogen

Under cabinets lights- CFLs

Faucet-Hansgrohe

Sink-Elkay

Soap dispenser & air gap-Kohler

Fidge-GE(existing)

Stove-Hotpoint(existing)

Microwave-LG(new)

Dishwasher-KitchenAid(new)

Comments (28)

• malhgold
    15 years ago

That looks terrific! I love the green backsplash. Nice shot of color, but very relaxing. Congratulations! Enjoy your new kitchen....

• pamelas_kitchen
    15 years ago

I think it came out really beautiful. It looks simple but it comes together because it is not too much in a small space. Sometimes it's hard not to overdo it, I find, and not know when to stop.

I recognize the backsplash tile (love it) but what is the name of the floor tile? Thanks!

• bmorepanic
    15 years ago

Amazing piece of zen-like design.

• tiskers
    15 years ago

Beautiful! I love it! You must be soooo happy!

BTW, your "BEFORE" kitchen and mine were eerily similar!!! ;o)

• User
    15 years ago

i was wondering where your tiles were from, on an earlier post. a "clean" palette for future owners to personalize. nice job!!!

• morton5
    15 years ago

Great choices, it looks warm and peaceful. I bet you are enjoying your new lighting. Your old kitchen made me smile-- I'd never seen a lamp on a refrigerator before!

• november
    15 years ago

Beautiful job - you must be so happy! Your backsplash tiles are completely delicious.

• chloe_s_mom
    15 years ago

Very nice, very modern and bright (and no longer requiring that lamp on a fridge!) - congrats!

• palimpsest
    15 years ago

I love it, its an exercise in restraint.

• susanlynn2012
    15 years ago

Wonderful transformation into a peaceful, bright, happy and pretty kitchen that is very modern. I love the recessed lighting that really brightens up the small kitchen without taking room. Thanks for sharing.

• icenet
    Original Author
    15 years ago

pamelas_kitchen ,

Floor tile is Cappadocia "Flannel." I was never able to find anything that looks as good. My pictures don't do it justice.
    Thanks!

• sailormann
    15 years ago

You've done an excellent job - you should be proud of yourself !

• brutuses
    15 years ago

It's not my style, but beautiful all the same. Great job.

• pamelas_kitchen
    15 years ago

Thanks for the info icenet. It is really lovely. The tile search is such a journey, isn't it? But so rewarding when you get it right, as you did.

• Fori
    15 years ago

What no trim over the sink? :)

I think it's pretty darn nice!! Very smooth, bright, tasteful (no matter what one's style preferences) and cookable. I'd be happy with that space!

• caryscott
    15 years ago

I think the natural maple works really well with the white appliances. I also really like the simplicity of the execution (it fits pefectly with your material choices). Very nice. I don't see the fridge lamp from your before pictures I hope it wasn't a casualty of the reno.

• marybeth1
    15 years ago

What a clean crisp sleek transformation. I LOVE your backsplash! Your choices of materials work so well together and create such a restful space. It goes to show even if I see a decorating style that is different from mine a can still admire it for its beauty. Great Job!

• plllog
    15 years ago

I love the way you used the grid in the backsplash to create calm regularity, but broke it up on the floor to emphasize the long lines. Really nice!

• icenet
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for all the kind words and compliments! It was hard for me to let go of that fridge lamp. :)

• scootermom
    15 years ago

Aaah! Beautiful choices. I love black and white kitchens, but I see exactly what you mean about it being too closed up for your space. The wood, the clean white countertop, and that amazing tile backsplash (ahh, so calming!) are perfect. This one's getting bookmarked!!

• nekothecat
    15 years ago

Beautiful job. Love the backsplash and the floors!

• desertsteph
    15 years ago

"It was hard for me to let go of that fridge lamp. :)"

sometimes difficult decisions must be made to get that extra storage over the fridge... lol!

I agree - it's so calming. What a great place to cook in! I love the cabinet pulls. They are so 'right' for the cabinets and space. You managed to get a lot of counter area for such a small kitchen too!

• lisa_a
    15 years ago

Fresh, crisp and bright - love it!

I'm in love with your floor tile, too. We're going to update our MBTH one of these days so I added that to my idea file. Thanks for sharing!

• trancegemini_wa
    15 years ago

what a fantastic transformation! it looks so modern now and nice and bright. Can i ask what the overall budget was?

• chartma530
    15 years ago

I absolutely love your kitchen. This is the look I am going for in my kitchen remodel; very simple, bright and contemporary. Can you tell me if your cabinets are natural maple or are they stained?

• tigger
    15 years ago

Great job!! I love that backsplash and think we're going to do a similar one in a kitchenette since it won't go as well in the main kitchen. I actually saw some clear glass tiles that looked very similar online and they were on sale for just about $7-8/sq ft. so may jump on that! Love your cabinets also - I originally thought I'd go with something like that before changing my mind about a million times :)

• jax1723
    15 years ago

Looks great!

• icenet
    Original Author
    15 years ago

kitty_car,

The stain I used was one shade darker than natural and it was called "wheat."